Panasonic what just happened?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I wrote about this on Dpreview, and got some smart (dumb) answers. I was photographing the DNC in Charlotte, and one day shot almost 400 frames, and the last day shot over 300 frames without a hitch. As I was leaving, I saw an artist along the sidewalk and took a series of photos of him working. One group of 5 shot in less that a minute, show the first two shot at ISO 400 and then it jumped to ISO 5000. I have the camera set to go no higher that 1600 ISO and I have the C1 setting to be 400. I have no idea of how this could have happened. I was standing next to another photographer who had a larger Lumix camera and we talked about his camera and mine and how much we like the Panasonic equipment. I have dropped Panasonic a line over the internet, and they want me to call them to talk about this. I don't believe that I hit a button resetting my ISO, but anything is possible.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

2. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    You don't specify what camera you are using, but on my GX1 it is very easy to knock the iso setting button. Infact I did exactly that this weekend and was woundering WTF I was at 1/4000 at f/22 on an overcast day. Lucky I only missed a couple of shots none of which would be keepers anyway.

It is very disconcerting.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I seriously doubt that anyone can tell you why this occurred, especially after only one occurrence. I've not seen any other people on this forum who experienced this, so for now I would just chalk it up to accidentally hitting a button.

Unless you can duplicate it, service isn't going to be able to figure out what happened. Use the camera and try to document what you do in case it is truly an undiscovered bug.

4. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I just talked to someone at Panasonic.

He felt that the senor was affected by the other person standing next to me taking pictures with a flash. It messed with the sensor, much like looking at a flash and how it can cause us not to see correctly for a minute. Believe me I don't want anything to be wrong with the camera. After shooting for more than 50 years, this is my perfect camera. It is the first time in maybe 20 years that this is my only camera, and I wouldn't want to have to send it in for repairs.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 1