1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Warranty Improvement Petition

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jimboh, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    edited 11/24 to remove any controversy. My aim is to effect an improvement in Panasonic repair process, not to create controversies.

I'd like to propose Amin start an online petition to ask Panasonic to create a business class support that is responsive to an SLA (service level agreement) to ensure predictable repair.

Sony recognizes this distinction between consumers and working professionals. If Panasonic wants to succeed in the segment their GH-Class is targeted at, they should follow suit.

I will cross-post on DVinfo.net and mu-32.com, so please sign only one petition.

To those unfamiliar, an SLA in this context is an pre-negotiated time to repair. An SLA can include penalties and/or pre-determined remedies if the time-to-repair agreement is not met. For example, if your GH1 is not repairable and it's so old a replacement cannot be obtained, options may include partial or total refund of any service fee, or discount toward another model of camera. All this must be done withing a given time frame by Panasonic.

Advantages: It provides the customer a predictable time frame for repair so they won't lose business because the camera is in the shop for months at a time. (My GH1 spent four months in repair before declared unfixable.) For Panasonic, it could be an extra profit center if offered as an add-on to normal warranty.
    Sony has a slightly different approach, they use consumer and commercial class of equipment. The former has no SLA, the latter, I've seen repair completed in as little as 10 days, in some cases, inexpensive rental of loaner camera is one of the options available.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I checked with my Panasonic contacts, and they say that their warranty service is not outsourced in any way - that their facility in McAllen, TX is pure Panasonic run.

The rest of what you said about SLAs and such is beyond my understanding, and I can't commit the time and energy to learning about it; so with respect I have to decline the proposal to start a petition.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sounds like a good decision to me.