Panasonic vs Olympus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 20, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've just been reading a post that has inevitably degenerated, as it always does at DPR, where the original post really had nothing to do with whether Panasonic or Olympus was better. I just don't understand why some owners of the only two m4/3s brands get into useless verbal fights about why/how one or the other is better/faster/sexier etc, when we should be more supportive of each other and accept that we have similarities as well as differences. It just makes it so easy for others to deride the whole m4/3s concept, when even the owners are beating the krap out of each other over split hairs.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 4
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I can't understand the mentality. Olympus relies on Panasonic sensors and Panasonic benefits from Olympus experience and innovation. I own an Olympus E-3 and a Panasonic G1 and can confirm that they are both fine cameras. Clashes between "supporters" of the two brands is akin to friendly fire in military terms. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    That forum is just horrible - half the threads seem to be either Panasonic vs Olympus or trolling about why M4/3 is rubbish and Sony will destroy it blah blah blah...

Shame because there is some useful stuff on there sometimes but I don't really go there any more.

4. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think there seems to be a thing for Olympus body with Panasonic lenses though haha..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That place it the pits. It's not even entertaining anymore.
    Let em' eat cake. I can't even read reviews there anymore cause everything is so tainted with over inflated ego.
    The only thing good about that place is that it gives the trolls a place to hang out....
    Nuff said...

• Like Like x 2
  6. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Unfortunately that's in the nature of the DPR forums. It's been that way for years.
    Canon vs Nikon
    FX vs DX (or 1/5-series vs "the others")
    RAW vs JPEG
    Mine is bigger/longer/faster than yours
    etc...

I don't think it says anything in particular about μ4/3 owners. More about the average DPR forum-poster unfortunately.

There is some good info available there, but the signal:noise ratio is very very low.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    All quite silly over at DPR (Oly vs Pany)
    When some people who own both brands (myself included) and appreciate the qualities of both.

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the flame wars of adolescent fan-boys is a strong paradigm there , and im sure some of the flamers are adults , at least chronologically,

dp reviews are interesting and they are thorough , but they are not unbiased and their ranking rarely reflect anything but an agenda, cloaked in testing and feigned objectivity

9. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    I agree Oz...I look at Oly and Panny as PARTNERS to a large extent. Their products compliment each other well. Right now, IMO, nothing competes 100% between the two - although that may change down the road.

Pan GH-X: no Oly equiv.
    Pan G-X: no Oly equiv.
    Oly EP-X: designed looks, classic style, IBIS, 4/3 lens AF, great EVF, etc.
    Oly EPL-X: affordable, lowest prices "current model", sold at Best Buy, etc.
    Pan GF-X: Utilitarian, practical, good looking but not designer (IMO), etc.

Sure, there is some overlap with the GF / EP lines, but still they are pretty distinct. It's like choosing a BMW 3 or Mercedes C. They are both luxury sedans, both perform well, both have strengths and weaknesses vs the other. Choose which fits you the best, that's the way I see GF/EP...except they share the same engine (sensor), same lens mount, etc. There is no need for arguing.

We're all one big m4/3 family here. I chose the GF-1 because I got a screaming deal on the kit with the 20 f/1.7 through my employers purchase program directly from Panasonic. I won't list the exact price because it will make you CRY...but it was in the sub-$700 range for the kit new in box from shipped direct from Panasonic USA. That instantly made the EP-2 look a little less financially appealing. Based on that and the discounts I get on their other m4/3 bodies, kits and lenses, I'll be with Panny for quite a while as I CANNOT justify the Oly's. Now if Oly had a program like that through my employer, I may have gone with Oly. Who cares? I don't. THEY ARE BOTH GREAT :) :43:

• Like Like x 1
  10. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    GREAT post! I have the E-3 and GF-1, I feel the same. Sure the WB and jpg's from the E-3 are better, but the GF-1 has advantages and they are both great :) I like the analogy you used!

That's why I'm now on this forum and the fourthirdsforum as well - just too much $@$*& at DPR anymore, I can't take it. Legit questions related to gear, settings, advantages, etc are good. Q&A related to the use of the gear and looking at images from the gear is great as well...but the troll wars are too much anymore at DPR. Did anyone see the post by the DPR admin in the Oly DSLR forum where he blasted the Oly forum for being too petty and having to bad a lot of users recently? It made me laugh and cemented that I'll be elsewhere more often than not anymore. Thanks for the great forum!

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My two current favorite are the ones title something like "Whats the point of the 17mm" and then there is one "I can't find any use for the 20mm"...

Both threads are pretty bad.

I think we do have to keep in mind that the site, and forum too, are about photography gear, not photography.

12. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I wonder how many of those flamers actually take photographs.

Bokeh D

13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze, Bokeh, ya learn something new everyday.....for the life of me, I never knew that was a photography site...
    hmmmm

14. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have seen a lot of equipment wars, my camera is better than your camera, my computer is fast than yours and my dad can beat up your dad. But they all seem to miss the point. Back in the dark ages people like Henri Cartier Bresson took brilliant images on the equipment that was available to them. Here we are 60 years in the future with equipment that Bresson would have given his eye teeth for and what do we do? Bitch! I think, maybe it is easier to grouse about our equipment than to take great images!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Grant

As I have said for a long time "it isn't the camera that takes the picture...it is the person behind the camera!"

By the way, I agree with your comment.

16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder how many think they take shockin' photos and they say ' I need to get a better camera, that'll fix it!!

17. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Icon...shhhhhh, it's all in the card......
    I read that over there....

18. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It's frustrating. Sometimes I will see a thread title on DPR that is of interest, but the discussion often breaks down. There seems to be an obsession with gear for the sake of having it, rather than an obsession with photography. A phrase that really irks me comes up when a new camera or lens comes out: “the 'xyz' killer was released today”, 'xyz' being a current rated camera or lens.

Don't get me wrong. I read reviews too. I truly enjoy gear. But the pixel peeping, gear rattling stuff is sad.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The funniest thing I find about a lot of DPR posters, regardless of camera brand, is when a new camera is announced, the first question that pops up is when will the next version become available. For example, when the Leica M9was announced, after a gestation period of who knows how many years, within a day I think I saw a post that asked when do people think the M10 will come out. Most of these guys (and I reckon the majority are male), probably never use their current camera and I suspect that many may not even own a camera, because they're waiting for the latest and greatest version. :rofl:

Cheers

Ray

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I typically go by the mantra of "the best camera to use is the one you got at the time"...or something like that.

Like anything we buy, there is always compromises. Even when money doesn't matter, the perfect "widget" for me just doesn't exist. I ran into this problem just car shopping...

I personally don't have the money to try out two similar products at the same time extensively...30 days won't cut it for me. I just went with my gut and got the Oly EP-1 with the kit zoom lens. Maybe a few years down the road I can try out a GF1.

I personally don't give a rats...(oh wait, I'll keep it G rated) about who's camera is better. All I care about is taking pictures. If the camera I have gives me the pictures I want, then I'm happy, because its not just about the pictures, its about the jouney too....