Panasonic vs. Olympus

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
Its a bit of an apples to oranges comparison due to the outside lighting, but the first thing I noticed was that the D750 images was a bit brighter. If you have the raw file, it would be interesting to see if the detail that is not present in the jpeg is there. I suspect so unless the highlights were blown out. What makes me tend to like or hate a sensor more is how well I can recover detail from and ETTR image and how well I can recover any details from an underexposed image without too much grain and muddiness. Newer and larger sensors often tend to be more forgiving in these areas and in high ISO images.

--Ken

You are 100% correct regarding the brightness of the D750 image. It has a tendency to overexpose by 1 or 2 stops. That was an image I shot back in December. Since then, I have made adjustments to the D750 to get better exposure.

Hopefully some time next weekend I try to do another experiment using 4 cameras, (similar lighting, lenses and settings) to have a better set of images to compare. I'll shoot in both RAW and jpeg to eliminate any file conversion factors (although I always use Adobe Camera RAW to convert files; without making any adjustments).

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
You are 100% correct regarding the brightness of the D750 image. It has a tendency to overexpose by 1 or 2 stops. That was an image I shot back in December. Since then, I have made adjustments to the D750 to get better exposure.

Hopefully some time next weekend I try to do another experiment using 4 cameras, (similar lighting, lenses and settings) to have a better set of images to compare. I'll shoot in both RAW and jpeg to eliminate any file conversion factors (although I always use Adobe Camera RAW to convert files; without making any adjustments).
When it makes sense, I try to shoot ETTR so I have as much data to work with as I can. So, as long as I am not blowing out highlights that I need, I am okay with a brighter raw file. I was also thinking more about your prior comments and wondering if you mostly shoot in good light (as you are in sunny FL). Here in the cloudy PNW, we fight for light in the winter when shooting BIF, and higher ISO numbers are not at all uncommon. This presents a very different set of images for editing than when you have the ability to shoot at ISO 100 or so. Perhaps that could be why I find newer sensors like the D750 more to my post processing needs?

--Ken

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hopefully some time next weekend I try to do another experiment using 4 cameras,
That definitely would be best. The 3 you showed are just way too different from each other. Especially when talking about things like buildings where the angle of light can have a huge different in the amount of detail/texture shown of the building and sometimes that texture being different can give a false impression of "sharpness" between images.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom