Panasonic vs. Leica vs. Canon

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jhartman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jhartman

jhartman New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2010
    I did a test today to see how the Panasonic 14-140mm kit lens stands up to the Best of the Best lenses from other manufacturers.

The first picture below shows the full frame of the image. I used a newspaper because fine print has a way of revealing both the best and the worst in the resolving capabilities of a lens. The camera was mounted on a tripod, leveled and aligned perfectly parallel to the wall. Ambient light was used, and a self-timer was utilized to avoid camera shake (which is fairly low in a mirrorless camera, anyway). Live, manual focus was used at 10x magnification. All images are straight form the Lightroom RAWs and crops are shown at 100% with no PP sharpening.

• I shot the 14-140 kit lens on a GH2 at f/5.5 (wide open) and at f/11.

• Then I put the Leica 50mm Summilux on the GH2 (with Panny adapter) and shot at f/1.4 (wide open), f/5.6 and f/11.

• Finally, I put the 70-200 version II (of which I have a very good copy) on the 1DsMkIII and shot at f/2.8 (wide open) and f/8.

The first series of images shows the identical center crop from all the shots.

The second series shows the very outer edge crop from the same images.

(The slight variations in size between the images are due to the focal length setting on the Panasonic zoom not matching the markings on the lens, and the Canon file is slightly enlarged due to the 21MP file vs. the 16MP file of the Lumix.)

Of course, a test like this reveals only one particular aspect of a lens, one that might not be necessary or important for every subject or photographer.

Nevertheless I was surprised at the results. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. jhartman

jhartman New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2010
    Here are images taken from the upper left corner of each of the above files.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Oh, please just tell me the results. :) I have been focus adjusting my Canon kit all afternoon and my eyes are crossed! I am interested to know what the results were, though.

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    All I can say is that the Leica and Canon lenses does not put the kit zoom to shame. The 14-140 seems to perform very well.
  5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Actually, the results don't surprise me.
  6. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    OK stating the obvious, here's what i see: at equal apertures, the Leica is equal or slightly ahead of the Panasonic, but in the corners, the Panasonic is clearly sharper.

I wonder how much is due to the effect of the adapter....perhaps the Summilux would be sharper in the corners when used with the M film body it was designed for.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

No surprise to me either

Well considering that Panasonic is the largest manufacturer of aspherical lens in the world, and their lens manufacturing plant in Japan is overseen by Leica, this also is no surprise. I know that Panasonic was making many camcorder lens for both Sony and Canon for many years. Ironically, very few Leica lens are still made in Germany so it's not where it's made but how its made.