Panasonic too?!?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My opinion:
Digital cameras is explicitly stated as a product area with struggling sales. My guess is that digital cameras sales are all but negligible. Let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if a divestment of what is under the LUMIX umbrella is announced when the reorganization is fully implemented, granted that they can find a buyer of course.

Problems during Corona are a fact but since it was an unexpected force majeure, declining sales during such times would not give reason to axe LUMIX cameras if they have been profitable earlier but there's no evidence that this has been the case.

For all that we know, consumer cameras could have been profitable even in 2020 if declining revenue came from high end models which have high profit margin (OK I don't believe in this but in theory it's possible). Panny has never reported revenue and profitability of LUMIX products separately so it's hard to tell. They could even see a reasonable growth potential if high-end demands shifts towards video where Panasonic has become an industry standard but this is pretty much the best scenario there is.

Anyways it's promising that Panny has invested in entirely new 4/3 camera sensor so chanches are that LUMIX is not in immediate danger before top brass finds out what impact new models will have but 4% market share and sales of 0,3 million units per year is not a sustainable state for consumer products which need constant investments in new technology, models and features..

I will certainly have a look at GH6 but with $2500€ price tag it will be a hard sale in a world where I could buy a S5 for 1400€ today and use 1100€ to kick-start a new lens portfolio.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Even before the microchip shortage, improvements to cameras were already slowing, and the cameras were already more than good enough. There isn't much better than what we already have, and we don't need better than what we already have to begin with. Lower sales volume was to be expected, and I think that the reason full frame is being pushed so hard. They can't increase the efficiency, so people try to promote increased size. But what next? Medium format? Large format? Just totally backwards. It was same thing with computers, with upgrades becoming less and less frequent, and less and less necessary, and the computers got smaller and smaller over time. Smaller form factor and more stability, that is true progress. So I think more stability in the camera market is a good sign also. Just be happy what you have and ignore all the full frame marketing hype and that backwards "bigger is always better" mentality and the doom and gloom that comes along with it.

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Not to worry... Oly and Lumix, can always return to the camera bidness. And other FT and MFT camera manufacturers will continue to make higher end video cameras.
I just hope they continue to make the BLF-19 battery for my G9s for the next 10 to 15 years.

Last edited:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Anyways it's promising that Panny has invested in entirely new 4/3 camera sensor so chanches are that LUMIX is not in immediate danger before top brass finds out what impact new models will have but 4% market share and sales of 0,3 million units per year is not a sustainable state for consumer products which need constant investments in new technology, models and features..
That's not entirely true. It may not be substantial for a popular consumer product, but it's still reasonable for camera. That amount of cameras in a year is actually not that bad. Cameras are generally not as popular now as they were.

How many people repeatedly refresh their Microwaves? I think Panasonic is used to selling products with longer and longer hold-times.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Re YouTube...here's a behind the scenes look of what a big YouTube channel does behind the scenes.

This is the market that Panasonic is pursuing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom