Panasonic to produce a micro 4\3 pro camcorder

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cosinaphile, Apr 12, 2010.

1. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Here's the part I like.... "the AG-AF100 is compatible with the company's line up of Lumix G lenses, filters, and adapters"

Can you say :43: Legacy Glass? Lovin' it.

Bokeh D

Attached Files:

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think m4/3s is taking all the big players completely off-guard. I bet they never saw this coming :biggrin:

Looks like all the good legacy lenses might become even more expensive and hard to find. :frown:

Cheers

Ray

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The only player I think that has been caught off guard is RED. They have been way too slow to the market. And now, we have a 7D giving entry at $1700 retail for HD video. Sure, it's the not the best, but it brings the entry price way down. Or, the GH1 is not slouch either at $1200 WITH the lens.

RED is left with "we're coming with something this summer... oh, right, the scarlet will cost almost $3k." With HOUSE being shot solely on 5DmkII's for it's season finale, it spells quite a bit of trouble for RED trying to break in.

It's a shame too, because they definitely have a nice product. But they may have missed the entry level market they helped create.

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I kind of agree that most of the big players saw this coming and most are in position to compete... except nikon.

There's going to be more consolidation happening and those companies struggling now... a.k.a. fuji, pentax, richo... will face twice the hurdle soon due to economy of scale. Sony and Canon already cross all 3 boundaries of P&S, slr, video. Nikon and Olympus are left out and if olympus isn't careful, m43 will out live the company itself.

Actually I should also add, there's pain coming from the other side too - mobile phones. Sony's currently the only one who spans all 4 markets, phone -> p&s -> slr -> video cameras. Panasonic and Samsung do too (just not as prevalent on this side of the globe yet). I think with in 10 years... the market will consolidate much like most other maturing markets have and we'll have just a hand full of 5 or so companies left. Any company who thinks they can survive with a niche market *cough* red *cough*... should take note of what's happened in all other maturing / matured industries like the car industry.

Okay now I'm done my blabbering.

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's one thing using a DSLR to make video, but it's all a compromise. Panasonic has brought something dedicated to videographers and that's an important step in the evolution of m4/3s, or any larger format video camera for that matter.

Red and Arri have both brought out large format digital video cameras, but at a very high cost. If the Panasonic pricing is right, it will capture the Indi and other similar video markets by storm. All manner of lenses can be used with he camera, not so with any of the others.

I still think the big players, video and still, have been caught somewhat off-guard.

Cheers

Ray

7. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    This is what I was looking for earliler, to show what is required when you want to use the 5D for video, quite cumbersome:

[​IMG]

It works, but a lot of cludging has been required to turn the 5D into a cine camera. I think a dedicated cine camera would work a lot better, with most likely a lot more cine related options available.

Cheers

Ray

8. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Given that Canon has a video camera line... don't you think it'd be much easier for them to just take their pro-consumer video camera, replace the sensor with their CMOS sensor, and change the front lens mount to be their camera mount?

Isn't that essentially what Panasonic did? they have a camera line, they just changed the sensor and lens mount to be their camera sensor / lens mount.

That's why I'm hypothesising that Canon and Sony are ready to compete where as nikon, olympus, fuji, pentax, ricoh aren't. I would go as far as to say that Sony probably saw the future a long time ago - prompting their purchase of konica/minolta to fill the top gap and sony-ericsson to fill the bottom gap. I'm really surprised that no other camera company has partnered with phone companies and web-cam companies to enter those markets (maybe they have but kept it quiet). Eventually the p&s market will disappear to these other gadgets.

9. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't know anything about the development of camera/video technology, but I do have a lot of experience in technology in general (leading edge stuff in fact) and I doubt that it would be as easy as that. Canon's professional line of digital video cameras all use a much smaller sensor and are pretty much integrated devices. They would virtually have to start from the ground up. Not that they couldn't, but it would require a complete new design, development and production line. Then they'd have to decide what to do with the current line of cameras. That pretty much is what all who manufacture professional video cameras have to contend with; Panasonic isn't just converting a camcorder into what they have shown, it's new from the ground up, and size and flexibility is also possibly going to be a winner for them.

Cheers

Ray

10. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I was talking to a pro videographer tonight about this camera.. the interchangeable lens issue is a game changer as far as he can see. He has been impressed also with a friend's GH1 HD capabilities.

Power to the people.

Bokeh D