Panasonic to Invest in Olympus!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by twokatmew, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Interesting. The article said 30-50 billion yen, which would be about 400-660 million dollars.

I'm more comfortable with seeing an equity stake go to Panasonic rather than Sony Corp. Micro Four-Thirds should feel more at ease as well. ;)
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    So Olympus caved after turning away Sony and Fuji, huh? I wonder what Pana offered that the others did not.
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

A decent interest rate and access to 5 axis IBIS and the jpeg engine in return I warrant.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Olympus simply surviving is going to be good for Panasonic. Olympus still remains a major draw to the Micro Four-Thirds system.
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think it's a mistake to assume this deal has any relevance whatsoever to consumer digital cameras.
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Olympus surviving is a fantastic thing for us all.
    Let's just hope that both key mu43 players remain viable for many more years to come.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    So, THAT'S how the got the new sensor! :D
  8. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    There is also the matter of disclosing the company's financials. I suspect that Olympus' BOD felt more comfortable disclosing these matters to Panasonic than the others which probably would have ended up taking over the company.

It's a little like the old joke about "How do you pronounce 'Daimler-Chrysler'? 'Daimler', the Chrysler is silent." Daimler got what they wanted from the company and moved on. I think Panasonic will be a more reliable long term partner and the two companies can cross license various things that will be mutually beneficial in developing their products and growing the market for their products.

Let's hope this turns out to be as good as it seems to be.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Good news! Awwwwww, ain't we all just one big, happy family! :biggrin:

I know what you are saying. But... this will make it a lot easier for them to keep the camera division humming along (hasn't made money in a long while, but still important for image to them).
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  11. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  12. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    And the "lets make it impossible/extremly difficult to use non-OEM batteries " path of Panasonic?
  14. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Yup...didn't see that thread...
  15. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I am not so sure this is a good thing. Competition keeps things keen, even within such a bold collaboration as the micro four-thirds format. If only one manufacturer had come up with this format, would we have had the amazing Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Pancake and the Olympus 12mm f2 as well as the GH2 and E-M5? I think not. This competition led to development to get the edge and in the process became so successful that it brought third-party developers to the table.

Look at Pentax, Nikon or Sony's feeble attempts at mirrorless... very few native lenses and (excepting the NEX) less-than-stellar image quality.

While I think that the format is established now and will continue to be somewhat successful, I am worried about the rate of continuing development.
  16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan