Panasonic to Announce Fast Telephoto Prime at Photokina

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phillip Swanson, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Phillip Swanson

Phillip Swanson News Writer

Jun 15, 2012

Photokina continues to draw closer and the rumor mill obliges by spitting out bits of information with the latest piece alleging Panasonic is planning on announcing a fast tele prime lens at Photokina.

The details are sparse, but 43rumors claims the new fast tele prime will be accompanied by other lenses, although no information has been provided on the other lenses at this point.

Without any specific details regarding focal length, aperture, and price it's tough to get too excited, but the proposition of Panasonic releasing a competitor to the Olympus 75mm f1.8 is alluring. Hopefully Panasonic keeps the price low and the quality high.

Whether or not Panasonic will include some form of OIS in the lens is a major concern as well. The company's 20mm and 25mm primes lack the image stabilization functions of the more expensive X series zoom lenses. Hopefully with the longer focal length prime Panasonic implements some sort of OIS while managing to keep the price down.

Source: 43rumors
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The worry about OIS seems silly. The 20 and 25 (and shorter) primes don't have IS because it's much less necessary on shorter focal length lenses. The 7-14 zoom doesn't have IS either. It seems to me highly unlikely Panasonic will sell a tele lens without OIS.

I also think it's pretty unlikely Panasonic will release a lens that directly competes with the Oly 45. With only a couple of exceptions, Oly and Panasonic have done a pretty good job about not stepping on each other's toes.

BTW, the link in your post goes to NPR, not 43rumors.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Check your link address. It doesn't go where you say it does.
  4. peak4

peak4 Mu-43 Rookie

I assume it was supposed to point HERE
  5. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Gary Hanna
    Hopefully it's not in the 75-85 range as that's now covered.

I'm guessing it's a 50mm 1.4, something Panny has never made and a stop faster than the OLY and wil probably be 600$

Although I'm hoping it's more like a 100-150mm range F2, as I really like using the 135mm f2 fd lens on a gh2.

A 35mm 1.4 also makes some sense, even though it's not quite telephoto, it's equivalent on a 4/3 sensor and there is no focal AF equivalent for m43 yet.
  6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Since they have the 35-100 and oly has the 75, part of me wants this to be a 150mm macro or something =) Probably far too specialized for what Panasonic is targeting, but it would certainly expand their lineup
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

So Many Said This Would Never Happen

Now that I've broken down and spent $1600 on a legacy Nikon and Voigtlander adapter they'll probably put out a 300mm f/4:tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Olympus and Panny tend to complement eachother with their lenses, especially primes which is something I really like about the system. I doubt it will be in the 70-85mm(140-170mm) range. I expect it will be either around 60mm or be something outside of the portrait range.

The reasons I think there is a good chance for a 60mm though is primarily that Panasonic has NO portrait-oriented lenses. Their closest offers are the 45mm f2.8(too expensive, not fast enough), the 25mm f1.4(too wide for traditional portraiture, still pretty expensive), and the 35-100 f2.8(way too expensive, arguably not fast enough depending on FL and usage).

So panasonic is abou due with a portrait lens. But since the Oly 75mm is so recent, they might not go for that. It might be a great way to undercut oly though with a cheaper 60mm f2 or something.

Also, this lens will quite obviously have OIS, if you ask me. The Panaleica 45mm F2.8 has it. I see no reason why this wouldn't.
  9. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    90 or 100 2.8 IS? Maybe macro? If they make let's say a 80mm f2,5/2,8 at 400-500 euros, I would be interested in this. Also because even if I use primary Olympus bodies, I can be interested in OIS (when using the EM5 at 9fps).
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Interesting because LEICA Micro Four Thirds primes are quite large in comparison to Olympus primes.....

If it's a Lumix prime, it could be smaller.....
  11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Something a bit shorter than the 75mm with OIS for us Panny guys would be great. I liked 135mm in FF for portraits!
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Less necessary? Probably, but still very useful. The ability to shoot the PL25 at anything down to 1/3 sec on a stabilised body is a pretty cool feature to have and one that I will continue to take advantage of. The presence or lack of IS in a lens will influence what camera body I would prefer to use it on.
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    A 300mm f/4 would be sweet! :biggrin:
  14. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
  15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    A supersharp 200/300mm macro would be nice. I love my Tamron 90mm but I do wish it was at least 2x longer. I even bought a 2x teleconverter but so far it's not filling my expectations...
  16. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I would snatch up anything 150mm or longer in a second, but what I would love to see most is a 300 f/4, or a 200 or 250 f/2.8 + TC announcement. Right now we are flush with primes under 50mm, and soon we should have two great primes filling in up to 75mm soon as well. Wishing for anything under 100mm at this point seems like a waste to me. We need some pro-quality long lenses now. Hopefully if we don't get a pro-quality long prime this year we get that or a pro fixed aperture long zoom next year, perhaps a 150-300 f/4.
    • Like Like x 1