1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Support for the Firmware Update for the GF 2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RNST, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RNST

RNST New to Mu-43

May 22, 2011
    I really hate posting threads like this one. Especially since I have so much invested in this camera, lenses and accessories. I do like the product and its functionality. Unfortunately, their support is severely lacking IMHO. I am judging them vs Nikon, Olympus, Sony etc.

Shortly after Lumix announced the upgrade to the the G Series, I attempted to do the upgrade to the GF2, 14 mm lens and the Olympus 14 - 150 mm lens. For some reason only the 14 mm lens updated. The camera body and the Oly lens did not.

FYI, I have read probably about 20 X the instructions on their website for updating the camera and lens. I have followed their instructions exactly.

A week after my first attempt I sent a request for support on the Canadian Panasonic website. I got a reply stating they would attempt to assist me but kept pointing me back to the website update. I insisted that all of those instructions had been followed exactly but I was still unable to get the firmware updated.

The three emails following the initial request did not offer any info that I missed. They were not very useful at all.

Unfortunately, this has made me a dissatisfied customer. I feel my requests have been very polite and with realistic expectations.

It is now approx three months since my first support request. Their last email to me suggested visiting a local Panasonic repair centre. Unfortunately, this local support only services appliances and some electronic gear but not Lumix cameras.

My question to you is:

Any tricks to do the update on my own?

Have you had any success with Panasonic aka Lumix when requesting local support? I certainly hope this is just a local Canadian problem.

Do you have to send your camera and lenses to them to do the update or ???

2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Panasonic Canada sucks. I sent them an email over a year ago and never heard back from them. And then there is the thing about how they price their cameras in Canada compared to the U.S. pricing and numerous sales. I have owned an LX2/3/5, G1, GF1, GH1/2 and have sold them all off. My last and final Panny camera is the GF2. I will never buy another Panny Canada product again. Another reason being that I find the pics from Olympus (and I have never owned an Olympus in my life) much nicer than those from Panny.

3. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    The GF2 firmware upgrade only adds some extra options for the X lens. I did it on my GF2 with no problem. It is important that the battery is fully charged (and a Panasonic battery) otherwise it won't work. Also, you must put the downloaded file in the ROOT of the SD card, not under DCIM. Turn camera on, press playback and it should work.

Keith

• Like Like x 1
  4. RNST

RNST New to Mu-43

May 22, 2011
    I had tried all of that as per their website. I didn't see the part about putting the file in the ROOT of the SD Card.

Thanks! I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

5. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    This page Joint update service for Four Thirds body and lenses | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global doesn't mention the root directory but this page Joint update service for Four Thirds body and lenses | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global does.

Also, it says there shouldn't be anything else on the card, although I don't know if that is really important - it says it needs more space than the size of the file.

Good luck!

Keith.