1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Sues Model Agency for GF5 Leak

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As some of you may recall, Hong Kong model/actress Angelababy leaked GF5 images on Instagram back in March. At the time, the fact that DPReview covered the leak led me to speculate that it was a deliberate leak with DPR in cahoots with Panasonic, because it was unprecedented on the part of DPR to cover such a story.

Looks like I was wrong. According to China News (via 1001 Noisy Cameras), Panasonic is suing Angelababy's modeling agency for the a refund of their payment in addition to 10% extra for damages. I don't think they actually sustained any damages, more like a bit of publicity for an otherwise fairly boring update. On the other hand, it was clearly unprofessional for the model to put those pics out there.

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Ow that's a very expensive mistake, but I guess there are contracts laying out the rules for a reason.

Still as you mention it seems like little harm was done..

3. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    shouldn't have let lengmo's like angelababy have devices before they come out lol

4. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Poor model is probably fired

5. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Poor model is probably even poorer now lol.

6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    All this effort by Panny about a camera that will be discontinued in less than a year.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's not about the camera, it's about protecting their ability to market and time camera announcements to their benefit.

If, for example, the leak of the GF5 caused a sudden slump in sales of the GF3, because people decided to wait, Panasonic could have a warehouse full of "obsolete" cameras on their hands. That costs them real money, which they have a right to try and recover.