1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Shutter Sound

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by riogrande100, Mar 11, 2012.

1. riogrande100

riogrande100 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2012
    Does anyone know why the shutter sound of the camera is so inconsistent! Without the lens on the body in manual mode the shutter sounds like most camera hear the shutter when button pressed!

However when putting on the lens the camera decides to have some crazy inconsistent shutter sounds, which even at fast speeds 1/500 sounds like the a shot taken at 1/4 second!

The sound is like a double shutter sound, but then if I zoom out on the kit shooting at slower aperture the camera then at 1/250 sounds fast, then go wide angle again the double shutter sound!

Whats up with that as I have heard the GX1 and the GF3 make similar sounds when testing them in store, whilst the Oly's didn't make that sound!

2. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    What you describe here is exactly how my Panasonic G3 behaves. It's weird. I'm also surprised by how long the EVF blacks out when taking a shot.

So I await with interest any informed replies. :wink:

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I haven't noticed, but recently I turned off the sound.

4. mrmessy

mrmessy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    Can you turn off the sound! I haven't been able to. I thought it was mechanical.

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh yes. Go to setup - page 1 last 2 options

1 - beep
    2 - volume

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    Those beep and volume settings do not affect the sound of the shutter, which is as mrmessy said, mechanical. In other words, the sound comes from the physical movement of the shutter components, and cannot be modified or turned off.

As for riogrande100's different shutter sounds, I can't say that I've ever noticed that on my GX1. Perhaps I will try to do a similar experiment, when time permits.

David

• Like Like x 1
  7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I am sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. I apologize.

8. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I have noticed this, i just ran a quick test.
    It seems that the shutter sounds slow if you select a small aperture.

At f1.7 all shutter speeds from about 1/30 up sound the same. But when you start to close the f stops down. thats when the 1/500 shutter sounds like 1/8th.

9. riogrande100

riogrande100 New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2012
    Its really annoying the sound of the shutter helps u feel if u captured that moment! With the G3 random shutter sound u hear the shutter and think o crap, then look at the pic and think wow that turned out well!
    I don't know why aperture change affects the shutter sound!

Especially when a zoom lens at f5.6 is fast, but at wide angle double clicking!

Furthermore the sound is more like the shutter getting stuck, it feel painful like a damaged shutter!

10. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Milano
    Actually, in my GX1 I get a "Setup>Beep>E-Shutter vol" sub-menu where it is possible to enable/disable an additional artificial shutter sound.
    Of course, I've disabled it out of the box :smile:

I'm not sure about the G3, but it might be worth to have a look.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    True enough, 13Promet. But I don't think that's what's at the root of riogrande100's situation here, as the E-Shutter sound only activates when the camera is in SH burst mode. And when using the camera in that mode the physical shutter doesn't activate, so there's no mechanical shutter sound.

David

• Like Like x 1
  12. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    Maybe the first click you hear is the aperture stopping down & not the shutter ? That'd explain it's absence when shooting wide open.

13. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I would agree with that. Problem solved i think.:thumbup:

14. Foureyes

Foureyes New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2013
    Shutter problem fixed

I had the same problem and found this thread about it, so wanted to post the fix that worked for me. I reset my G3 to factory default and the shutter issue went away completely. Kind of like rebooting a computer, I guess. Anyway, there you go.:smile: