1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic shutter blade noise?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Smiffy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2012
    Good evening. Don't know if anybody can help.....I've just purchased myself a Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens for my E-PL1. It's not brand new but a mint conditioned one that somebody got with a G2 and didn't require it.
    Have tried it out on the camera and whilst I am happy with the sharpness and speed of the lens, it's making a lot of noise when the camera is moved around. Exactly the same as this...
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd2J9Kk9bMo]Panasonic 14mm f2.5 shutter blade sound on EPL2 - YouTube[/ame]

Does anybody else who has this lens fitted to a PEN suffer the same and is it anything to worry about?
    Many thanks
    Rob

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Yes. No.

• Like Like x 1
  3. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    I assume you are in S or Auto mode because that noise is the camera adjusting the lens aperture to suit the lighting conditions. If you want to avoid these continuous noises, use either A or Manual mode so you can adjust the aperture as much or as little as you require.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The sound is the aperture being adjusted to limit the light hitting the sensor because the shutter is open at all times until a picture is taken.

Nobody knows why it's so loud with some combinations of Panasonic lens and Olympus body. Panasonic is reportedly trying to assist Olympus on this issue. If Olympus knows what's going on they're not talking.

Fred

5. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I've heard the same noise on my Panasonic 14mm and 20mm mounted on my GF1. I would say it's distracting, but normal. Try to avoid pointing the camera at bright lights if you want to avoid it.

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Do a search on the forum for the word 'rattlesnake'.

7. Smiffy

Smiffy New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for all of your replies.
    I've only just got the lens and yes, I was trying it in Auto mode just to take a few "snaps" indoors the other evening. Have yet to try it in manual mode but will do so to confirm what's said above.
    Bought the lens as I am off to Lapland in about 4 weeks time and am hoping to get a few pics of the Northern lights (if we are lucky enough to see them) and thought this would be the ideal lens for the job.
    Thanks once again for your replies (and reassurance!).
    Rob

8. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    No problem, Rob. I wish you good luck and safe travel on your trip. Make sure you share some snaps when you get back.

Regards,
    Jason

9. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Mine still made the noise in A mode with MF and in full manual mode. Why is it moving the aperture?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Yep same here.....