Panasonic reveals '25mm f/1.4' lens roadmap plan

youry

Mu-43 Veteran
I just hope the bokeh is better than on the 20mm lens

Panasonic has revealed that it is set to launch a 25mm f/1.4 lens for Micro Four Thirds cameras, as early as this summer.

In an interview with Amateur Photographer (AP), Panasonic UK product manager John Mitchell confirmed that the 25mm lens is on Panasonic's 'roadmap' for 2011, as part of the company's aim to launch up to four Micro Four Thirds lenses every year.

'We are sure it's going to be a great hit because it's 50mm [35mm viewing angle] equivalent – really fast, really bright,' said Mitchell who was speaking to AP at the Focus on Imaging trade show in Birmingham.

The launch of a 25mm lens will fit with the firm's plan to exploit the 'phenomenal opportunity' that small lenses give consumers wanting to make the most of the compact size offered by Micro Four Thirds cameras.

Last year, Panasonic had merely indicated that a 25mm f/1.4 was 'under consideration'.

Link to article

Howi

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Howard
It will be interesting to see how big it is compared to the existing 4/3 summilux, and at what cost. (I don't think it will be at the cheap end!!!!!!)

The existing 25mm 1.4 summilux works a treat on the GF1 (including aperture ring)

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
It will be interesting to see how big it is compared to the existing 4/3 summilux, and at what cost. (I don't think it will be at the cheap end!!!!!!)

The existing 25mm 1.4 summilux works a treat on the GF1 (including aperture ring)

I hope they are able to make the 25/1.4 considerably smaller than the 25/1.4 Lux. I don't expect miracles, but hopefully keep it no larger than say ... twice the size of the 20/1.7.

Speaking of the 25/1.4 Lux, how is the AF speed of the 25/1.4 Lux on that GF1 body? I was pondering about getting it for my GH2. I've seen some Youtube video that supposedly shows the AF to be pretty decent. But I've read one or two messages that say the 25/1.4 Lux is a slug even when coupled with the GH2.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I'm really liking the 20/1.7, but if the 25/1.4 is compact then the 20/1.7 may have to go....

I'm now dreaming of a compact 4-lens kit

14/2.5
25/1.4
45/2.8 or my Pentax M 50/1.7
Pentax DA70/2.4

I could capture the world with that setup...

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
I'm really liking the 20/1.7, but if the 25/1.4 is compact then the 20/1.7 may have to go....

14/2.5
25/1.4
Pentax DA70/2.4

John, when you put a Pentax DA70 on your GH2, does the GH2 give you the automatic magnification view at the turn of the manual focus ring? Or do you have to manually push the magnification button? Thanks!

Howi

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Howard
I hope they are able to make the 25/1.4 considerably smaller than the 25/1.4 Lux. I don't expect miracles, but hopefully keep it no larger than say ... twice the size of the 20/1.7.

Speaking of the 25/1.4 Lux, how is the AF speed of the 25/1.4 Lux on that GF1 body? I was pondering about getting it for my GH2. I've seen some Youtube video that supposedly shows the AF to be pretty decent. But I've read one or two messages that say the 25/1.4 Lux is a slug even when coupled with the GH2.

On the gf1 it is quite fast, certainly no slug, but I think the lens does need the last firmware upgrade (1.2 I think) is needed.
I have a feeling pany will try to keep it small at the expense of having to correct things like CA and distortion in software as with the 14mm and to a lesser extent the 20mm. I can't see it being THAT small though, 1.4 is a large aperture

John M Flores

Super Moderator
John, when you put a Pentax DA70 on your GH2, does the GH2 give you the automatic magnification view at the turn of the manual focus ring? Or do you have to manually push the magnification button? Thanks!

Gotta press the button.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
On the gf1 it is quite fast, certainly no slug, but I think the lens does need the last firmware upgrade (1.2 I think) is needed.
I have a feeling pany will try to keep it small at the expense of having to correct things like CA and distortion in software as with the 14mm and to a lesser extent the 20mm. I can't see it being THAT small though, 1.4 is a large aperture

Thanks for the info Howi.

Frankly, I don't mind software correction as long as it is flawless! I don't think anyone will ever be able to put these lenses on non-m4/3 body anyway. The smallest lens that's about a 25/1.4 is probably the Leica 24/1.4 Summilux. And it's not even that small, relative to other Leica M lenses! So yeah, I'll be pleasantly surprised if the m4/3 version of the 25/1.4 turns out to be as small as a 20/1.7. Hence, twice the size of the 20/1.7 would make me pretty happy already!

Vivalo

Olympus loser

14/2.5
25/1.4
Pentax DA70/2.4

I have a dream too:

Future Oly 12/2.8
Future Pana 25/1.4
OM Oly 50/1.4
OM Oly 100/2.8

Until then I just have to live with my OM Oly 50/1.4 and Panny Twenty :tongue:

banana101

Mu-43 Regular
The bokeh on the 20mm isn't *too* bad is it? The 20mm is the only lens I have therefore I have nothing really to compare it to!

cucco

Mu-43 Regular
The bokeh on the 20mm isn't *too* bad is it? The 20mm is the only lens I have therefore I have nothing really to compare it to!
I don't think so. In fact, I rather like it.
It's not quite as good as some of my Minolta primes on a full frame body, but darn close!

Amin

Mu-43 Legend

The bokeh on the 20 is very nice. Of course, that is just my subjective take. Mike Johnston aka Mr. "Lens Bokeh Ratings" recently referred to the Lumix 20/1.7 as his current favorite lens.

I think a new 25/1.4 would be really great, but I would be way, way more psyched for an autofocus 50/1.8 or 50/1.4. Whoever makes that lens first - Olympus, Pana, Sigma, I'm talking to you - is going to make a killing in the market.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I really dontinderstand why they are releasing this lens. Not much faster than the 20/1.7 ... Not much difference in FOV ... No OIS ... Significantly larger than the 20/1.7 ... In all likelihood at least 2x the current price of the 20 ... Huge challenge to make better IQ ... Where's my motivation to spend money?

wyip

Mu-43 Regular
I'm waiting for the head to head comparison of this lens vs. 20/1.7 vs PL 25/1.4 before I get excited about anything.

The article mentions Panasonic wants to release lenses at a pace of 4 per year. I'm more interested in what the other 3 lenses for 2011 are going to be. If the "bright standard zoom" is one more, then there are two other lenses we know nothing about yet. Fast 40mm pancake please. :biggrin:

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I hope they don't make it too pricey. That's not a terribly expensive lens in equivalent lengths for other camera systems. I am hoping that the growth in the m4/3 market will start pushing prices down. I for one would love more lenses, but can't justify the $600-$1000 per lens prices they've been hitting us with. I make decent money, but that's just too much for a hobby!

cucco

Mu-43 Regular
I hope they don't make it too pricey. That's not a terribly expensive lens in equivalent lengths for other camera systems. I am hoping that the growth in the m4/3 market will start pushing prices down. I for one would love more lenses, but can't justify the $600-$1000 per lens prices they've been hitting us with. I make decent money, but that's just too much for a hobby!

I agree!
For those prices, on a smaller sensor body, I'd hope to get something like a 12-35 (24-70 equiv) 1:2.8 lens. Maybe I'm asking too much? Yeah, I know the whole "size" issue. I'd still think that the lens would be smaller than the 35mm equiv and well worth the money!

Vivalo

Olympus loser
I really dontinderstand why they are releasing this lens. Not much faster than the 20/1.7 ... Not much difference in FOV ... No OIS ... Significantly larger than the 20/1.7 ... In all likelihood at least 2x the current price of the 20 ... Huge challenge to make better IQ ... Where's my motivation to spend money?

Those were my initial thoughts too, but on the other hand that is exactly the point. If they are going to make the 25mm lens, it will be better in IQ, more silent and faster to focus. Surely it will be no pancake. Also the reasonable price of the Panny Twenty would ideally put some pressures also for the pricing of the new Panny Quarter.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Panasonic doesn't seem to think that way about pricing. They appear to think their product is unique, and therefore use "cost+margin" pricing. The local camera store here won't bargain at all on Panasonic equipment - apparently, they aren't allowed to by Panasonic.

Latest threads

Top Bottom