Panasonic repair nightmares.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by paulspackman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. paulspackman

paulspackman New to Mu-43

May 31, 2010
    Don't get me wrong: I love using Panasonic micro four thirds cameras. I have had a G1, GF1, GF2, GH1 and GH2.

I am extremely dissatisfied, however, with Panasonic's repair facility in McAllen, Texas.

When my GF1 broke, it took 2 months to do a warranty repair.
    Now, my GH2 has broken again, and after 1 month the repair facility is telling me that it is not covered because I must have opened up the camera and left loose screws inside. I bought the camera new and the only people who have opened it up are the repair people at Panasonic.

So, what now? NEX?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Report case at some Panasonic head office?

I don't think it is particular to Panasonic (unless this thread uncovered a series of such cases). There are flakes in every companies. You've just been unlucky.

I can tell you I've had my issues with Sony, although with a PS3, not a camera.

In the future, if you could send it at another repair facility, even if it costs a bit more, perhaps it would be a better alternative.
  3. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would say report it to Better Business Bureau. For some reason, with a complaint filed, companies are more willing to help the customer in a way that they should have from the start.
  4. paulspackman

May 31, 2010

Thanks for the ideas.
    Has anyone been able to reach the Panasonic repair center by phone or email. I tried when my GF2 was being repaired, but had no luck. I am now going through Samy's Camera, where I bought the camera. They are able to directly contact the repair facility, but I would like to do so personally.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Frightening. I thought Oly was bad. About 3-4 weeks on my last repair.

May I ask what broke on your cameras?
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    "Like" Panasonic on Facebook, and post this story there. Also tweet about it. Companies have gotten very, very sensitive to how they're perceived on social networks.
  7. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    In addition to this, try the Web site for your state's attorney general or consumer protection office. There is an agency in your state that accepts consumer complaints, which might help and can't hurt.
  8. paulspackman

May 31, 2010
    Repair: What broke

1. At the time of the first repair, the external mic was not working.
    2. The second repair was for a stuck shutter, as far as I know. When I took off the lens, the shutter was stuck in front of the sensor.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sorry to hear. I've never had a serious problem with Nikon repair, and Canon repair has always been a dream to work with, but as was mentioned, I'm sure there are horror stories with any brand. I hope that your two experiences are outliers and not the norm. I agree with everyone else: contact the various higher ups, agencies, make noise on Facebook/Twitter, etc. Especially as a repeat customer, they should be trying a little harder to help you out.
  10. dimsumboy

dimsumboy New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2012
    My experience with them is very similar

Not the same situation but same treatment. I asked to speak to a manager also because I figured, just my dumb luck, I got a flakey employee, but the manager was just as unhelpful and unpleasant to deal with. I love the GF-1, but the experience was a bad enough that I will never purchase another Panasonic product again. Hello Olympus! Depending on your location, I think they are one of two repair centers in the country.
  11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have found that Panasonic UK have some of the worst customer service I have ever come across - I needed to contact them on two separate occasions and in both, I did my initial contact via the website and received acknowledgement with a number - that was the last I heard despite trying a further 3/4 times & quoting the reference no.

I ended up going to the European MD who eventually got their "Executive Correspondent" to contact me.

Very poor service from a company that does produce good products then ignores their customers after initial purchase.