Panasonic repair (my experience)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mike Ronesia, Dec 4, 2013.

  1. Mike Ronesia

    Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

    Sep 16, 2013
    Mark James
    I thought some of you might be interested in my experience with Panasonic repair.

    In October I shot a wedding with my GH3. The day after the wedding I was out for a walk and had my camera to take some shots at the beach. After about 4 shots my shutter/curtain stuck and I got a message to popo the camera. That's power off, power on to those of you that don't know popo. It started working and after a few more shots it did it again. I had another shoot in two weeks and was worried. I could use my GH2, I have shot with it in the past before, but really wanted my GH3 working.

    I went home and started the process of working with Panasonic repair. It was fairly strait forward and within a day I had a UPS shipping label from Panasonic to send the camera to their Texas repair facility. I sent the camera off and kept an eye on their repair status page. They got the camera and showed it pending. Not being sure how long this was going to take I waited a couple of days for the status to change. It didn't. The website has a contact link so I clicked it and sent a request to Panasonic for an update. Within a couple of hours I got this reply. Keep in mind the web site still showed it as received, but not yet worked on.

    Mr. James,

    According to the technician, they replaced top unit, main PCB and battery contacts, performed adjustments, checked all functions and unit is working properly. So your unit will be shipped back to you shortly. We apologize for the delay. Thanks,

    They then updated me that it was being shipped back ground and gave me a tracking number. This ended up being the longest part of the process. It took a week to get it back, but when I did it worked like new again.

    My shoot covered a couple of days, so I had it back in time for the last session. :)

    It's a bummer it broke, but there were never any questions from Panasonic as to how it got stuck. I was afraid they would find sand in it or something from changing lenses at the beach and want to charge me.

    The final interesting note is the tech who repaired the camera left their memory card in. It was interesting to see his test shots. It started with a video and then they took about 50 shots from around the repair facility.

    All in all it was a fast, friendly and totally free repair with the only real glitches being the status updates and the return shipping that took longer then I would have liked. (I would have gladly paid for air).
    • Like Like x 4
  2. awilliamsny

    awilliamsny Mu-43 Rookie

    Oct 10, 2013
    New York
    Andy Williams
    I had the exact same experience a few months ago. They said it could be a while in-house, the website status didn't change, but via email, they confirmed the issue was resolved within 24 hours of them receiving my camera, and I had a tracking number for UPS ground within 36 hours. I thought that was pretty cool.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.