Panasonic RAW vs Jpeg - SiklyPix

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by yakky, Oct 21, 2013.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Am I the only one that is annoyed I can't get a jpeg out of silkypix that looks as good as one from the camera? I've got a G5 and GF3. I like having the flexibility of raw in case I blow an exposure or my white balance isn't perfect. Silkypix does create great colors but....

-Doesn't handle noise nearly as well as the in camera jpeg
    -CA correction in SP isn't anywhere close to in camera, lens specific correction
    -sharpening in camera is actually better

I'd let all of those go if the camera could create jpegs from the raws on the card, I could always go back, but it seems that's not doable either. So you can't reliably produce the same result as the camera can. Frustrating to say the least.

And yes I do have lightroom, the colors are bad from the raws, take too much fiddling to get close to the jpegs, and CA correction, while better than SP-3.0, still isn't as good as in camera.

2. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Nope, you're not the only one! My problem was the sharpening made the picture blocky; can't comment on other iq aspects as I only notice them when they're particularly horrid, which is basically never.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You could try a TRIAL of Photoninja, it did nicely with my G3 RAWs when I tried it last week.
    Sharpening and contrast together are very tweakable from a few different 'directions' and colours are 'punchy' at the various defaults. Also has a nice noise section.

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Don't know what to say, I have had the G3, G5 and now have the Gh3 and I have never had any problems creating excellent jpg's from raw using various versions of LR. Silky Pics is a pile of rubbish though never liked that.

Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.