1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic RAW vs Jpeg - SiklyPix

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by yakky, Oct 21, 2013.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Am I the only one that is annoyed I can't get a jpeg out of silkypix that looks as good as one from the camera? I've got a G5 and GF3. I like having the flexibility of raw in case I blow an exposure or my white balance isn't perfect. Silkypix does create great colors but....

-Doesn't handle noise nearly as well as the in camera jpeg
    -CA correction in SP isn't anywhere close to in camera, lens specific correction
    -sharpening in camera is actually better

I'd let all of those go if the camera could create jpegs from the raws on the card, I could always go back, but it seems that's not doable either. So you can't reliably produce the same result as the camera can. Frustrating to say the least.

And yes I do have lightroom, the colors are bad from the raws, take too much fiddling to get close to the jpegs, and CA correction, while better than SP-3.0, still isn't as good as in camera.

2. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Nope, you're not the only one! My problem was the sharpening made the picture blocky; can't comment on other iq aspects as I only notice them when they're particularly horrid, which is basically never.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You could try a TRIAL of Photoninja, it did nicely with my G3 RAWs when I tried it last week.
    Sharpening and contrast together are very tweakable from a few different 'directions' and colours are 'punchy' at the various defaults. Also has a nice noise section.

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Don't know what to say, I have had the G3, G5 and now have the Gh3 and I have never had any problems creating excellent jpg's from raw using various versions of LR. Silky Pics is a pile of rubbish though never liked that.

Paul