Panasonic RAW files on Linux?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gsk3, Feb 29, 2012.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Anyone have a good workflow for Panasonic RAW files? FSpot doesn't seem to support them. :mad:

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    There's someone on this forum who is a big GIMP user; I can't recall the name.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I hear that Darktable is built on DCRaw and will do the trick nicely.

5. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks. I was looking more for a Lightroom-type solution than a Photoshop-like one (which is what GIMP and DCRaw do), but I'll give Darktable a shot.

6. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Darkroom - Previews properly but then can't load them.

Rawstudio (as recommended in the link) - Previews them as static

Raw Therapee (as recommended in the link) - Ignores the .RW2 files.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    A google search of "+fspot +rw2" turns up someone who says that they just renamed .RW2 to .RAW and were able to view thumbnails. Maybe you could give that a try. sorry, grasping at straws here ...

8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Darktable should be able to work with our RAW files. I found this message on a DPreview forum:

9. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    adding to the list: ufraw (unidentified flying raw) it is also used as the front end for gimp

digikam much "like" lightroom except it doesn't dodge/burn and probably several other things - I am demoing lightroom now. There is also a window version of digikam available.

google is no longer your friend, try ixquick as your search engine.

10. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    I tried to find suitable software for the same reason for Linux last autumn, but failed miserably. I tested all the programs mentioned here, and only found out that:
    - only once I got any RAW file conversion (but even then it was not correctly made, and it required some technical tweaking from my side)
    - even then, the programs are lacking so much of the basic features that are found in Lightroom and Aperture etc that you only get half (or third) the fun from shooting RAW
    - so what I did is that I run windows in VirtualBox and did my RAW processing in Windows

I did use Digikam though, for cataloging my photos. I liked that just fine for that.

(The end of the story: at the moment, writing this with iMac and using Aperture - you know, iMac is a unix inside anyway, so for me this had the best of both worlds :)

Panu

11. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Settled on converting them to .DNG via Adoba DNG Converter (free) running under a Windows emulator. Works great; just a little bit of a pain.

12. mrmessy

mrmessy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    I run Linux (Slackware)

I have found that darktable works fine with rw2 files from my G3 but I did have to use the latest git version. They are very close to a new stable version and I am sure that would be fine for G series files.

RawTherapee also works great but in my experience does not deal that well with Lumix lens chromatic aberration by default.

My preferred option at the moment is running SilkyPix (supplied with my camera) in wine. People criticise SilkyPix but I have found it Ok, reasonably stable in wine ( but doesn't like being minimised) and it seems to know about Lumix lenses.

LR3 trial version also runs Ok under wine.

Alan