1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic raw converter/software

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speedy, Nov 30, 2015.

1. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    While I'm twiddling my thumbs, waiting for my GX8 to turn up, I thought I'd ask about bundled software. Anyone know what comes with the GX8 as far as software for raw conversion, & photo editing? At the moment, being a Canon shooter, I use the excellent DPP. It does a fantastic job of raw conversion, the colours are fantastic, NR is really good, & it even has a pretty good clone tool. raw HDR is part of it too. Does panasonic have something similar? The last Panasonic I bought, the LX7 came with silkypix, which I was not very keen on. At all. Cheers.

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it seems silkypix is not loved by anyone except Panasonic:coco: don't know why it keeps shipping cameras with that useless thing.

a lot of us use Lightroom, some find it slow (including me), but I think it's still the most widely used raw developer

3. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    I like Lightrooom - I downloaded the Silkypix software to take a look but it seemed nowhere near as good as LR to me.

4. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    I've got an older version of LR, 4.6 something. Can't remember exactly. Was converting the LX7 files with DNG converter, as it wouldn't recognise the LX7. Not sure if you lost any detail, colour info or anything, but seemed to work okay. I'm going to miss DPP I think. I wonder if you get an upgraded version of silkypix with the higher end camera? Might have to investigate Elements too. Anyone used the later versions of that? I wouldn't mind something with a cloning tool. Does the latest version of LR have that?

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Can't imagine why anyone would put time into silkyPix when RawTherapee is free.
    RawTherapee Features

Its a bit frustrating coming from many years of Photoshop, but I use it on win XP, 7 and Ubuntu (yes, use all three) and its quite nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I use Aperture... It is fast like crazy - but unfortunately it has no future...

7. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Lightroom CC. Works like a charm, but slow like an ant at times.