"Panasonic quits m43 sensor business"?

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
That's pretty thin evidence -- a lot to extrapolate out of a single power point slide.

Not saying it's not possible -- or even likely -- but that is shaky evidence they present, lol.

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
Yeah, how the heck does that imply they won't produce m43 sensors? I wouldn't be terribly surprised but still...

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Panasonic are a bit of a mystery to me. When I read in their presentation that they intend to restructure their mobile phone business my immediate reaction is - Panasonic really has a mobile phone business?

Shutting their sensor manufacturing for M43 seems to make sense although it makes you wonder why they crippled the G6 with a Panny sensor.

As for this year they are still being heroically optimistic. Forecast of 90bn yen of sales v 93bn yen last year when the overall digital camera market is running over 30% below last year's levels in value terms.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
rob

have to agree that the whole panasonic empire seems a bit of a mess... my only real corporate experience was 10 years with Apple, and they are two opposite sides of the coin. Apple since Jobs returned was always about doing a few things well, and about the whole wayne gretsky thing about skating to where the puck will be. Panasonic seems to be about a whole sprawling empire of fiefdoms, none of which actually seem to be innovating in any significant way...

K

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
And I was looking forward to those light splitters coming to a new μ43 sensor...

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
rob

have to agree that the whole panasonic empire seems a bit of a mess... my only real corporate experience was 10 years with Apple, and they are two opposite sides of the coin. Apple since Jobs returned was always about doing a few things well, and about the whole wayne gretsky thing about skating to where the puck will be. Panasonic seems to be about a whole sprawling empire of fiefdoms, none of which actually seem to be innovating in any significant way...

K

Yes, Panasonic seems such a mess it makes me chuckle. I mean they are obviously big because they can afford to lose US$8bn in a year but in terms of 'would we notice if they werent around tomorrow?' they dont score too highly. (Apologies to anyone who is seriously into rice cookers.)

I rather liked the presentation you linked. I mean, honestly, who produces presentations like that in the present century.

Here is one of the slides (I actually feel you ought to wear flares to view it.)

Capture11.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And then in the middle of this mumbo-jumbo slide is the central bubble with 'cross value' and then 'head office, wearable wireless camera, in car wireless camera' and you tend to think 'yeah right!'.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Shutting their sensor manufacturing for M43 seems to make sense although it makes you wonder why they crippled the G6 with a Panny sensor.

True. They could instead have crippled it with an overly reflective, flare inducing sensor like the one in the E-M5. The Panasonic sensors are not "crippling" and in fact I prefer them and I am not the only one.

All sensors are a compromise and the Panasonic sensors have their good points. I for one will be sorry if they cease production.

STR

Mu-43 Veteran
That's pretty thin evidence -- a lot to extrapolate out of a single power point slide.

Not saying it's not possible -- or even likely -- but that is shaky evidence they present, lol.

It's DP Review. Making firm conclusions based on shaky evidence, and endless petty debates about tiny technical details is what they do. Rather than, you know, going out and shooting pictures. :rolleyes:

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If Panasonic quits this segment. Where would they get sensors from? Companies can't all rely on Sony and forever.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
If Panasonic quits this segment. Where would they get sensors from? Companies can't all rely on Sony and forever.

Exactly why I really hope this isn't the case. The Sony sensors are really good *right now* but generations down the line that may no longer be the case, especially if they have no competition left to force them to innovate. I'm displeased that the GH3 has a Sony sensor personally, because I'd rather Canon wasn't the only large manufacturer left doing their own sensors. Competition is good, and so is choice, in the long run. At least Leica didn't go Sony too.

My understanding is Fuji still uses Sony sensors, they're just using a specialized array on top of it.

Foveon !!

Well, there goes high ISO shooting... :tongue:

Dan Ka

Mu-43 Regular
I have looked at the pdf's and listened to the english translation of the presentation. I just don't "get" where it comes out that Panasonic is getting out of the m43 sensor business. The link in dpreview shows a slide from the auto & industrial division. Kevinparis links to the a-v division pdf. Neither indicates that sensors will be dropped. The a-v pdf shows and in the presentation it is stated that entry level p&s cameras will be pared down. The statement in the presentation states the reason is that entry level p&s can not compete with camera phones. In fact, the emphasis will be on "value added" p&s cameras, single lens reflex with interchangeable lens cameras and video. So can anyone point out where it says anything about ditching the sensor business?

Link to presentation - Panasonic IR Day 2013 | AVC Networks Company Midterm Strategy On the left side select Digital Still Camera Business, unless you want to listen to the whole thing.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic gets out of the sensor business altogether. Once they were one of the leading companies in this area (IIRC, the first Canon EOS 1D used a Panasonic-made CCD sensor), but now they can't keep up with Sony and Canon.

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
Panasonic are a bit of a mystery to me. When I read in their presentation that they intend to restructure their mobile phone business my immediate reaction is - Panasonic really has a mobile phone business?

Yeah they make phones for the japanese cell phone providors, strangely enough I owned a few during my phone collecting days...

Latest threads

Top Bottom