Panasonic PZ 45-175mm F4-5.6...Help

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by larryis1, Apr 6, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I am considering this as one of two telephoto lens to add to my collection for my new OM D E-M5II. Does anyone have any experience with this lens in terms of image quality on an Olympus MF3 body? Thanks in advance for your support. Larry

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's a very nice lens: small, light, internal zoom, very good optics. When using a E-M1/E-M10 I set the body to use the in lens stabilization rather than IBIS. because it works better. Since the E-M5II has better IBIS I would try it with both stabilization methods to see which is more effective.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428371155.693230. fantastic lens. My favorite telephoto lens. I use it on E-M10. Anti-shock should be enabled with this lens, the images are much sharper with 0s anti-shock. OIS on this lens is very effective with constant stabilized live view. Fast AF, I use it for video a lot. It is the only lens I know that is truly par-focal: in C-AF it seamlessly adjusts focus as you zoom in/out (must be in good light).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use it with my E-M5 Mk1, even though I'm forced to use the IBIS I still get great results with it. It performs a bit better optically than the 40-150R from Olympus, has more reach, and has a much better form factor IMO.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've tried a few and the 45-175 (IMHO) has the best balance between size / weight / reach / image quality. It's the only one I still have.

7. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all, your feedback about this lens is most helpful. I like it because of the significant reach and compact form factor. I like it over the Olympus offerings as this lens does not get larger in length as you zoom in. This make is less conspicuous. Have a good day/evening. Larry

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteveF

SteveF New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2012
    I used this lens for a while loved it ....and for some crazy reason gave it to my daughter ....what a mistake as i miss it now.

9. Pannonica

Pannonica Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    I wanted a very compact zoom so I got the 45-175 and I have to admit I like it very much. I was worried about the feeling of electronic zoom ring but I am pleasantly surpised it is extremely fast, smooth and precise to zoom in and out, it does not extend and I even prefer it to mechanical zoom now.

I made a fast roundup today comparing some of my lens (all set at f6.3) and here are my thoughts after some pixel peeping:

At 45mm it is similar in sharpness/rendering to the Panasonic 14-45 but obviously it is faster at f4 vs f/5.6
    Still at 45mm it is obviously less sharp and has less contrast then the Olympus 45mm prime (which by the way outclass most of my other lens)
    At 45mm-70mm and 140mm it is sharper and faster then the Panasonic 14-140 MK2.
    At 60mm it is even sharper then the Olympus 60mm Macro. (the Oly prime is less sharp but has a better contrast and rendering)

The 14-45 is the sharper non-pro zoom I tried and I think the 45-175 is the sharper telezoom non-pro, plus it is a pleasure to use and it is incredibly small and light. Definitely suggested.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Some good info here - thanks all.

Anyone use it on the EM-1? How is it in high FPS mode with c-AF?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

11. wjiang

I just won an auction on a used E-M1, will try it this weekend. No experience at all with CAF that actually works though, so findings may be unhelpful ;-)

12. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Haha! Any help is good help, Wjiang - thanks. Look forward to hearing about it!

13. wjiang

From someone who has never used CAF successfuly before - WOW.

I went out to my local reserve today to test out the E-M1 with 45-175mm plus 45mm f/1.8 + C-180 1.7x TC (75mm f/2.5). The target subjects were flying seagulls, swimming ducks, and ducks flapping wings. With the E-M1, I took roughly 650 shots, of which about 150 were technically sharp enough, with about 75 keepers at the end. I'm not sure that I got the full 9 FPS out of either lens combination, but it was plenty fast enough (definitely at least 5 FPS), and I almost never encountered slow downs due to the buffer being full. CAF/TR worked well for slower subjects - basically anything except flying birds, where CAF worked better.
    • A common problem is getting the initial focus lock - without this there's no hope really. Whole bursts were lost as a result of this.
    • The main problem with flying birds was getting and keeping the bird centred in the PDAF region - this is where operator skill (or lack thereof in my case) makes a huge difference. The E-M1 with its better EVF and faster burst rate helps a lot though.
    • As far as the 45-175mm goes, the main downside is lack of light - at f/5.6 with shade, it's pretty slow, and I lost many shots due to motion blur. The 45mm with 1.7x stopped down to f/2.8 did much better in this respect - I can see why the f/2.8 telezooms would do much better.
    With the erratic flying seagulls, I managed to get about 1/10. With ducks swimming full pace towards me, it was more like 1/3, and for ducks flapping wings, over 9/10. With the E-M5 (SAF of course), the only reliable targets I could manage were ducks swimming perpendicular to my FoV. With ducks swimming towards me, anything flying, or anything moving significantly (e.g. a duck flapping its wings upright in water), it was basically down to luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks a lot for that Wjiang. Very useful. Good to know that the lens performed adequately. I'm in a weird situation where I am probably having to sell my f2.8 zoom to raise a bit of capital, and am looking for a decent replacement, though obviously not as fast. I use the 9fps reasonably frequently with my toddler son and on the rare occasion that I go out deliberately to shoot wildlife. I think I could get away with the 45-175 for most occasions, and potentially the 50-200 SWD for faster requirements.

Love the help this forum gives. It's ace.

Cheers again!

15. wjiang

In case anybody is interested, here are some of the results...

Flight, 175mm f/5.6, 1/800s, ISO640-1000:
    [​IMG]

full.

full.

full.

• Like Like x 3
  16. wjiang

Slightly less motion, basically same settings:
    full.

full.

full.

full.

• Like Like x 2
  17. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Very, very cool. Love the colours on those wings.

18. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Really nice photos... Were they taken hand held or tripod?

19. wjiang

Hand held. I only tend to use a tripod for long exposures or macro.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wjiang

I just did some audio recordings of the 45-175 with CAF mode on the E-M1, using a static target.
    At 175mm, f/5.6, it was spot on 9 FPS until the buffer started getting full.
    Stopped down to f/8, it managed a steady 8 FPS.