Panasonic PZ 45-175mm F4-5.6...Help

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by larryis1, Apr 6, 2015.

1. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I am considering this as one of two telephoto lens to add to my collection for my new OM D E-M5II. Does anyone have any experience with this lens in terms of image quality on an Olympus MF3 body? Thanks in advance for your support. Larry

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's a very nice lens: small, light, internal zoom, very good optics. When using a E-M1/E-M10 I set the body to use the in lens stabilization rather than IBIS. because it works better. Since the E-M5II has better IBIS I would try it with both stabilization methods to see which is more effective.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428371155.693230. fantastic lens. My favorite telephoto lens. I use it on E-M10. Anti-shock should be enabled with this lens, the images are much sharper with 0s anti-shock. OIS on this lens is very effective with constant stabilized live view. Fast AF, I use it for video a lot. It is the only lens I know that is truly par-focal: in C-AF it seamlessly adjusts focus as you zoom in/out (must be in good light).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

5. I use it with my E-M5 Mk1, even though I'm forced to use the IBIS I still get great results with it. It performs a bit better optically than the 40-150R from Olympus, has more reach, and has a much better form factor IMO.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've tried a few and the 45-175 (IMHO) has the best balance between size / weight / reach / image quality. It's the only one I still have.

7. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thank you all, your feedback about this lens is most helpful. I like it because of the significant reach and compact form factor. I like it over the Olympus offerings as this lens does not get larger in length as you zoom in. This make is less conspicuous. Have a good day/evening. Larry

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteveF

SteveF New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2012
    I used this lens for a while loved it ....and for some crazy reason gave it to my daughter ....what a mistake as i miss it now.

9. Pannonica

Pannonica Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    I wanted a very compact zoom so I got the 45-175 and I have to admit I like it very much. I was worried about the feeling of electronic zoom ring but I am pleasantly surpised it is extremely fast, smooth and precise to zoom in and out, it does not extend and I even prefer it to mechanical zoom now.

I made a fast roundup today comparing some of my lens (all set at f6.3) and here are my thoughts after some pixel peeping:

At 45mm it is similar in sharpness/rendering to the Panasonic 14-45 but obviously it is faster at f4 vs f/5.6
    Still at 45mm it is obviously less sharp and has less contrast then the Olympus 45mm prime (which by the way outclass most of my other lens)
    At 45mm-70mm and 140mm it is sharper and faster then the Panasonic 14-140 MK2.
    At 60mm it is even sharper then the Olympus 60mm Macro. (the Oly prime is less sharp but has a better contrast and rendering)

The 14-45 is the sharper non-pro zoom I tried and I think the 45-175 is the sharper telezoom non-pro, plus it is a pleasure to use and it is incredibly small and light. Definitely suggested.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Some good info here - thanks all.

Anyone use it on the EM-1? How is it in high FPS mode with c-AF?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

11. I just won an auction on a used E-M1, will try it this weekend. No experience at all with CAF that actually works though, so findings may be unhelpful ;-)

12. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Haha! Any help is good help, Wjiang - thanks. Look forward to hearing about it!

13. From someone who has never used CAF successfuly before - WOW.

I went out to my local reserve today to test out the E-M1 with 45-175mm plus 45mm f/1.8 + C-180 1.7x TC (75mm f/2.5). The target subjects were flying seagulls, swimming ducks, and ducks flapping wings. With the E-M1, I took roughly 650 shots, of which about 150 were technically sharp enough, with about 75 keepers at the end. I'm not sure that I got the full 9 FPS out of either lens combination, but it was plenty fast enough (definitely at least 5 FPS), and I almost never encountered slow downs due to the buffer being full. CAF/TR worked well for slower subjects - basically anything except flying birds, where CAF worked better.
    • A common problem is getting the initial focus lock - without this there's no hope really. Whole bursts were lost as a result of this.
    • The main problem with flying birds was getting and keeping the bird centred in the PDAF region - this is where operator skill (or lack thereof in my case) makes a huge difference. The E-M1 with its better EVF and faster burst rate helps a lot though.
    • As far as the 45-175mm goes, the main downside is lack of light - at f/5.6 with shade, it's pretty slow, and I lost many shots due to motion blur. The 45mm with 1.7x stopped down to f/2.8 did much better in this respect - I can see why the f/2.8 telezooms would do much better.
    With the erratic flying seagulls, I managed to get about 1/10. With ducks swimming full pace towards me, it was more like 1/3, and for ducks flapping wings, over 9/10. With the E-M5 (SAF of course), the only reliable targets I could manage were ducks swimming perpendicular to my FoV. With ducks swimming towards me, anything flying, or anything moving significantly (e.g. a duck flapping its wings upright in water), it was basically down to luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks a lot for that Wjiang. Very useful. Good to know that the lens performed adequately. I'm in a weird situation where I am probably having to sell my f2.8 zoom to raise a bit of capital, and am looking for a decent replacement, though obviously not as fast. I use the 9fps reasonably frequently with my toddler son and on the rare occasion that I go out deliberately to shoot wildlife. I think I could get away with the 45-175 for most occasions, and potentially the 50-200 SWD for faster requirements.

Love the help this forum gives. It's ace.

Cheers again!

15. In case anybody is interested, here are some of the results...

Flight, 175mm f/5.6, 1/800s, ISO640-1000:
    [​IMG]

full.

full.

full.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Slightly less motion, basically same settings:
    full.

full.

full.

full.

• Like Like x 2
  17. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Very, very cool. Love the colours on those wings.

18. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Really nice photos... Were they taken hand held or tripod?

19. Hand held. I only tend to use a tripod for long exposures or macro.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I just did some audio recordings of the 45-175 with CAF mode on the E-M1, using a static target.
    At 175mm, f/5.6, it was spot on 9 FPS until the buffer started getting full.
    Stopped down to f/8, it managed a steady 8 FPS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.