Panasonic price policy on cameras . . . . .

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mgr, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mgr

mgr Mu-43 Regular

I have plans to go for a G6, which will extend my range of G1, GF3 and G3.
    Even knowing the sensor difference to the G3 will not be a big step forward,
    the design and handling benefit is reason enough for a new investment.

BUT, when looking on the actual price drop of the GX1 and G5, I'm a little
    bit pissed of, knowing, the price of the G6 will drop within 8-12 months
    50-70%. The only price stable camera seems to be the top level models
    GH2, GH3 . . .

On the one hand side the very low prices of discontinued models are very
    attractiv when you are not fancy for the latest models, on the other hand
    side, I feel dissmissed as a customer of Panasonic cameras with this price

So I ask myselfe, is it worth to go for a G6, or should I save half of the money
    and go for a G5, or . . . . . even go for a OM-D, which keeps the price ?

What do you think about ?

rgds from Switzerland
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If you value whatever the G6 offers above the G5 more than the cost of buying early in the life cycle then go ahead and buy the G6. Tough for anyone to answer that for you though.

I wouldn't buy the G6 now. I'd either go for the bargain option or the higher end. But that's just me.

I'm with you on how annoying the pricing is. I suppose it must maximize profits for them, but it is hard to see how. Why not launch at a reasonable and sustainable price?
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think the policy is what it is - they will always extract a heavy tax on those who must get the newest and greatest thing as soon as it is available.

If I were you, I would either sell my G3 and get a G5 (that swap would probably only cost you $100 USD or so) - or I would use my G3 some more for the next year, and get a G6 when it costs half as much a year from now.

BTW, I just bought a G5 at the current much lower price level. And I am quite happy with it.
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    G6 has some nice features like focus peaking and better video AFAIK . If you need those features then its worth it.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2013
    I think that'll be my plan. Although, how much is a G6 body-only going to be when it's released?
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, with the 14-42 kit lens, it's listed at $750. So that means that the body will be somewhere between $650 and $700.
  7. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Don't we all know about Panasonic (and for that matter, Olympus's) pricing patterns on their mid and low end ranges? I'm not entirely sure I'm very sympathetic to someone who's going to get annoyed at what has been a very predictable pattern.
  8. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    there must be something in there pricing policy, lately 2 of my friends have bought G3's and one a GX1, thats 3 users more for :43:
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It isn't just Panasonic! In fact they are far from the worst. The sad fact for all camera models{except maybe Leicas which are 1200% overpriced to begin with}is that they will loose value quickly. Partly the technology is progressing so fast that a new model is out every year or less.

Stop complaining and join those of us who have it figured out! Buy a model or two behind the curve and save a bundle. This way you can buy more lenses!:biggrin:
  10. PSH

PSH Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    In Europe the G6 has already been released in some countries. In the US it has not been released yet?
  11. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Here in NL the body-only is 599 EUR and some stores have in in stock. I've bought the G5 when it was new, 699 for a body only. It's now 499. So that's 200 less in around 8 months? For electronic stuff thats not soooo bad...

So far I'm happy with my G5, but Focuspeaking, better touchscreen, Wi-fi and the OLED viewfinder sounds tempting. Also AF in low light is apparently much better. And of course the better movie mode. Today I would probably go for the G6

Oh by the way, Jpeg shooters will definitely see a difference between G3 and G5/G6, in my opinion skin tones and yellow/greens are much better.
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    There is no question that the way to play with the current pricing models is to stay one generation behind. The deal now would be the G5. To be honest, however, if you are happy with the ergonomics of the G3 you could consider staying pat and buy a lens.
  13. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    TBH, that's why I'm still on a GF-1. I like the pictures it takes and the handling.
    I was considering buying the GX-1 as they are cheap now, but I'd rather have another lens.

I'd buy an OM-D if it comes down to about £2-300 for the body. Dunno if that will happen though. The GX-2 looks interesting though, but I would be buying that early 2014 once the prices come down
  14. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I've actually done pretty well lately. I'm usually the earliest adopter.

My G5 and GX1 cost me $500. I appreciate the Panasonic pricing curve.:biggrin:
    The fact that they've reached this low pricing in a relatively short amount of time gives me the sensation of receiving a lot of value.

I don't mind the "dated" sensor or lack of IBIS. They both feel great in hand, provide me with plenty of control, and produce excellent looking files.

I can see myself with a G6 and GX2 down the road.
    Although if the GX2 has an integrated finder I think it may elevate out of the curve.
  15. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Where you see a problem, I see opportunity! Example: I picked up a Nikon Coolpix (a relatively mediocre point and shoot) for $279 in early 2012, and a GX-1 for $229 early this year - that's amazing! And it's even cheaper than that now! You can't worry about depreciation with electronics or you'll never buy anything, just think about how much camera you can get for how little money these days, and stop worrying about it - pick the camera that suits you and take some pictures! It's all good! :2thumbs:
  16. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Yeah, I agree with this. There's not going to be THAT big of a bump from G3 to G6. It's not like the jump from 1st generation 12Mp sensors to 16Mp. It's much more subtle, and unless you NEEDED the video features, I'd apply the $700 towards a 12-35mm lens or a prime. Either would give a 2-4 stop boost in light, much greater than a newer sensor will provide. OMD at ISO 1600 doesn't beat a G3 at ISO 200. The lens will last much longer and hold much, much more of its value.
  17. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    I guess this speaks more about the poor management of Panasonic. Retailers here sell Panny mirrorless at some 30% - 100% higher than the online parallel imports - closer to the RRP. This only guarantees nobody is buying.
  18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I've posted this before here and elsewhere but it's worth mentioning again: Remember, with only a few exceptions, digital cameras - even DSLR-class - are consumer electronics. That means prices will behave accordingly. As others have said, by now it is becoming difficult to sympathize with anyone who is surprised when the price of their new mid- to low-range camera begins dropping like a stone after a few months. This pattern has repeated itself far too many times for it to be unexpected.

Of course, this doesn't mean one should never purchase a new camera when it first comes out. Sometimes, the new body offers substantial upgrades over earlier models that are entirely worth it. In this case, I'm not sure the G6 is that big a leap over the G5. But that's a subjective judgement that will be different for everyone. And, of course, the high-end cameras like the GH and OM-D series tend to hold their prices for nearly their entire run.

Myself, I have purchased a few brand-new digital cameras upon release and paid the premium. But I usually wait until late in a given model's run - sometimes as late as close-out sales. However, I promise not to criticize anyone with a different purchase model or philosophy.
  19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    +1. I paid $399 for my G5 and $329 for my GX1 on sale at Amazon late last year. So decent prices can be found even well before close-out if one is patient. But, like you, the GX2 (if it turns out to be what we expect) might be one of those exceptions for me.
  20. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I still don't really understand why an enthusiast would pay full MSRP for a micro four thirds camera, unless it's a high end model and/or if they're a couple iterations behind the curve and can afford to splurge, I suppose. Either way, complaining about the price dropping is really, really silly.