Panasonic price jumps

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jonlong, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Was checking price on amazon and b&h and the prices for cameras and lenses have shot up quite a bit. Any idea why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I noticed that too. That usually means there are going to be some big sales in a couple weeks.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ouch! Big price jump on the GX7. It was $750 for the longest time, and now it is just under $1K.

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Aye, to comply with 'sale' rules, when they say the price 'was' £/$***.**, it had to be at that price in the month/s prior to the sale.

It just means that for someone who doesn't keep an eye on pricing trends, the deal they're getting looks even more brilliant. Sneaky sods.
  5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Their used dept (B&H) has one silver with "kit" lens for $729. It's in 8+ condition (Shows moderate wear or finish marks).

I've had good luck with making purchases from the "used" dept there. Just a couple weeks ago got a GX7 silver body for $639 in 9+ (Shows little or no signs of wear).

I think we'll see those "regular" higher prices for several months, maybe until the holiday season approaches.
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic pricing tends to fluctuate more than Olympus.
  7. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Maybe this puts a refurbished E-M1 body more in the ballpark for me. While I greatly prefer the GX7 form factor over the Olympus, I'm still a bit uncertain about the GX7 EVF regarding "panning bleed" and eyeglass use.
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Yes, Panasonic prices move up and down frequently.
  9. teknov

teknov Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    The GM1 went up in price as well it's now $748 dollars at B&H photo i was lucky to pay $679.99 for mine lol
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A lot of items increased in price so much that they're back at their release price. Not really a good business plan if you're trying to increase your sales volume.

I'm hoping that the prices come back down to more "reasonable" levels here soon, otherwise that Panasonic rumor/joke may actually come true. If not, I'll have to hold off until Thanksgiving to buy another camera when they have another round of crazy deals.
  11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Panasonic stuff always bounces around inexplicably. It is worth being a little patient and watching prices.

For example, if you are in the market for a 25/1.4 I'd go buy it at Amazon right this second as they still have it at $529. It has jumped to $629 everywhere else and I fully expect Amazon to move their price at any moment...
  12. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    The AUD has climbed quite a lot against the buck in the last week, could be all tied in, Pana US buy price gone up so retail goes back up?
  13. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    It must be Panasonic's payback for the cruel April Fools joke. :biggrin:
  14. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    We're also in the middle of the "dark days" of retail with no real retail-focused holiday on the horizon, at least until summer when people pack up and travel en masse.

Perhaps they figure everyone has paid off their Christmas debt and now have a bit of money to burn?
  15. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Of course, as of this morning, PDT, Amazon continues with several GX7 kiys under a grand, together with a black body only at $749, but the latter is from some place called "Sunset Electronics" and who knows if there's any Amazon backup if something goes pear-shaped?
  16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There's a real simple way to find out, call them (Amazon) and ask.
  17. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Wasn't 31 March the end of the fiscal year for most of these companies? I imagine they lowered the price in November/December to try to move additional volume, and now prices go up so that their inevitable summer "sale" prices look great by comparison!
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Exactly. Same reason that Canon and Nikon just let a lot of their lens rebates expire (rather than renewing them as before).