Panasonic Press Release July 28, 2010: 3D For Micro System!

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Panasonic to Launch World's First** Interchangeable 3D Lens for LUMIX G Micro System***

** For a digital interchangeable lens of July 28, 2010
*** Compatible models to be announced

Panasonic is pleased to announce the development of the world's first** twin-lens digital interchangeable lens to make 3D shooting possible with an interchangeable lens system camera. The 3D lens will allow high-quality shooting in 3D as a new member of the powerful lineup of interchangeable lenses for Panasonic's LUMIX G Micro System***. As 3D content becomes ever more popular across a variety of media, Panasonic plans to release this new lens for sale before the end of the year and deliver the joy of 3D shooting to interchangeable lens system camera users.

This year, the “First Year of 3D Era,” Panasonic has spearheaded the industry by launching 3D-capable VIERA televisions and 3D Blu-ray Disc™ players. While 3D content, including movies and sports, has become more widely available for viewing, there are many customers who want to enjoy 3D shooting themselves. This new lens will respond to such demands. This lens allows users to shoot landscapes, people, and a variety of subjects in high-quality 3D, to be enjoyed later with their 3D VIERA televisions at home.

Until now, 3D shooting with an interchangeable lens system camera has only been possible by using panorama systems or a combination of two lenses and two CCDs, but these systems have drawbacks including the need for a dedicated 3D camera and the difficulties capturing moving objects.

Panasonic's new 3D lens for the LUMIX G Micro System features two optical systems installed within the diameter of the lens mount, creating stereo images from the left and right lenses, to be processed with a 3D image processing system. Thanks to Panasonic's advanced technologies in optical technology, image processing system, and lens barrel design, the 3D lens still manages to retain an extremely compact size.

This new compact 3D-capable interchangeable lens allows easier handling and instant 3D shooting with cameras without a special structure for 3D shooting. It produces 3D images without distortion or time lag between left and right images, even for moving objects. The 3D images, even close-up shots, taken with this lens are easy on the eyes when viewed on 3D VIERA televisions.

Panasonic has led the industry in bringing a true-to-life 3D experience to its customers, and will continue to expand its lineup of 3D products with innovative technologies.

Attachments

• 3D-01.png
    3D-01.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 752

blue

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm slighty sorry that Panasonic have gone down this route, though not suprised. They're catering to the mass market demand for the latest consumer gimmick rather than "photographers", and tying in the 3D to their TVs. digital frames and so on. We will see more of this, media, websites, phones all going 3D.

Who wants some boring old 2D landscape/art on their wall when instead you can have your favourite footballer/popstar/grandchildren/dog/wedding day popping out at you from the digital frame instead ?

Well, for myself I prefer the 2D but I'm pretty sure this will be a minority view.

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Blue, I think both, 3D and 2D can coexist. I think that I will still prefer a picture in 2D, but why not having an option to play in 3D?

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wouldn't it be great to print out images in 3D at the local pharmacy (most pharmacy shops in Aus print pics) I have heard that fujifilm print 3D prints from their 3D camera but you have to send the data to their special 3D printer in China and then they post the prints out to you.

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Great news, thanks Panasonic. 3D enters our world. We already have 3D telly, 3D player, Nintendo 3D gameboy coming soon, 3D playstation, etc.
Soon we can shoot in 2D as well as in 3D using the same body.

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I also still have enough to learn at 2D, but in time "even" I might become ready for 3D...

Question, or even better a personal statement up for discussion:
- 3D will introduce more parameters you HAVE TO control to make a good photo, so it will become difficult.
- Where Zoom, Shutter time as well as Aperature (icw sensor and lens) are additional parameters for you to utilize to get to a better photo.

Lately I have been reading myself a bit into the subject of post-processing, but typically I still prefer out of the camera results (faster and more "true" feeling). Anybody interested in doing 3D post-processing on all your holiday pictures??? (initially needed given non-matured functionality)

Joep

Locster

Mu-43 Regular
This is disappointing for me mainly because I feel like it's a gimmick lens like a lensbaby. I'm not saying art can't be made with these novelty lenses, I just feel like they're a distraction. The :43: powers should focus on expanding the lens line up to include more primes that are super sharp (like the 20mm), pancakes to market :43: compactness, and fast constant aperture lenses for the discerning photographer.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Nice, but where's the fast portrait prime lens we need? I don't have a 3d TV, and don't want one any time soon...

Cheers

Brian

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
I still think it is a good thing, even if it's a gimmick. It will bring more people to the format, and it will create a bigger market, with more demand for all kind of lenses and camera bodies and we will all benefit from that.

I think the more people jump on the m4/3 wagon, the better.

Personally, I would like to try a lens like that with underwater photography. It can be fun. I do have a 3D TV and I would enjoy watching 3D pictures on it. Currently, there is no source for those images.

Gus

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I think that many more people would jump (from the DSLR) to the m4/3rds band wagon if we had a good portrait lens.

Cheers

Brian

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
Gus, Brian,

I think you're both right.

The 3D lens is likely to attract more people up from serious compacts to µ4/3. The compact camera realm is a place where Panasonic has a serious presence, so one would expect the 3D lens from Panasonic. (Of course, an even bigger contributor is exactly the argument Gus made. Panasonic is one of the big players in the 3D TV market, so they also want the synergy of increasing the overall supply of 3D images, thus increasing the pull for all of those big expensive sheets of glass.)

The fast portrait (and other fast primes) is likely attract people down from DSLRs to µ4/3. Olympus has a stronger presence in the DSLR market (though they're dwarfed by the Canon / Nikon duopoly) so I'm hoping they'll announce some really nice primes at Photokina. Maybe even some High Grade primes for the µ4/3 mount.

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gus, Brian,

I think you're both right.

... The compact camera realm is a place where Panasonic has a serious presence, so one would expect the 3D lens from Panasonic. ...
Then the price is "wrong"...

Latest threads

Top Bottom