1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic , Please release the 2nd version of 20mm 1.7 - We are bored with it:)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys :smile:
    As we all know that Panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a superb lens and we all love it . But with faster MFT bodies ,this lens is having issues and its still slow . I would request Panasonic to release second version of this lens on Oly Zuiko lines .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 2
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Heh, I've wanted a faster focusing one since day one =)

Though, now it's more of how high ISO on the E-M5 bands oddly at times in addition.

But I'll take a delay if they are putting efforts into the 42.5/43 1.2 and 150/2.8. Along with maybe getting the cost down for the 35-100 =)

3. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Ha. I think I've heard this request before :)

I think the reason we haven't seen this yet is because it is possibly still the best selling M43 lens. Add to this that they no longer offer it as a kit lens.

Meaning that they don't NEED to replace it at all.

When/if the new Olympus 17mm falls in price to nearer that of the 20mm - then panasonic might start to feel the heat/competition and make a new one.

As it stands the 20mm is the cheapest normal(ish) prime that (within the M43 system) can be called a FAST lens. And it Sells!

Al that said - If they make a MK II version, i'll be very interested!

4. Bummer.. Didn't realize this was a real slow focusing lens. Could be my slow functioning mind :). So if I ever upgrade from my 1st gen mu43 bodies (gf-1 & g2) I'm going to be disappointed with maybe my favorite lens?

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    maybe its just me... but I have never found the 20 to be any noticeably slower than any other mft lens... sure in low light it hunts... as does every other lens I have....14/2.8, 17/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.4, 45/1,8, 75/1.8...but in good light its fine

maybe I have lower expectations?

ok just did a quick test in a dimly lit room... 20, 25 and new 17....25 seemed fastest... then 17 then 20... but the difference was minuscule

your mileage may vary... I suspect user error/expectation

K

6. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    I am a big defender of the lens - when it comes to the masses of people banging on about it having "terrible AF". The level of abuse hurled at the poor 20mm is simply 'internet hype' perpetuated by repetition upon repetition. . .

I use centre focus and then recompose. This works fine for me with the 20mm.

That said - It is noticeably one of the slower focusing lenses in the system, and it is certainly worthy of an improved MK-II.

If it ever happens however - it will be interesting to see what the price is, and how much more expensive it would be than the current 20mm sells for. . . would people still chose to find an old one for the money saved - i expect so!

• Like Like x 2
  7. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    I fully agree with this! I've never found the 20mm's slower AF to be that much of a bane, in fact it's my most-used lens, due to its portability and versatility! But having said that, I do admit that a Mk-II has long been awaited!

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    There are already so many of these lenses out there... how many can they possibly sell with a Mark II? Will enough people upgrade?

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    If a newer version comes out - this is only the probable chance that I will think of letting go my ol' trusty 20mm.

10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If there was a mark II, I'd definitely get one and dump the 17.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Keep in mind, some of Canon's lenses -the EF 50mm f1.4 has been around since 1993 - are still being sold and have yet to be updated because despite their shortcomings, they still sell well and provide results. I wouldn't hold your breath for a new 20mm from Panasonic.

12. Bhupinder2002

Hi..U cant beat me as far as this lens goes . I have third copy and I bought PL25 thrice and sold it and kept 20 mm 1.7 but when I compare it with my Olympus 45 mm and kit lens , it is quite slow but not terribly slow . But at the same time , I would expect Panasonic to replace this aging lens .
    Cheers

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's not a huge difference, but I guess it's more the hunting. I find mine seems to hunt more than my 25. And the buzzing. So spoiled by the other lenses ;)

14. Bhupinder2002

I think Panasonic has a mole in this forum :thumbup::wink:

15. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Unfortunately not, as the lens has been officially announced and there is no mention of any changes to the auto-focus system.

16. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I wonder what they would've done if not upgrade the AF system on that lens. Although I haven't used it, I think that's the only real complaint about the old version.