Panasonic plans high-end CSC to fend off Canon threat

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by flaxseedoil1000, Feb 14, 2012.

1. flaxseedoil1000

flaxseedoil1000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Complete article
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Interesting. I wonder if this means the GH3 is moving upscale, or if there will be an entire new series above the GH. In either case, good news for people wanting a more "pro" oriented camera.

Edit: After reading the story, it sounds like they plan to move the GH line up market. Hopefully not too $$$ up market.

Also from the article:

(italics mine)
  3. flaxseedoil1000

flaxseedoil1000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    "to include a 'very high-end model'"

Would appear that he feels their current top of the line GH2 is not "very high end".

Competition from Nex, Fuji and OM-D is a good thing for us :)
  4. Eutexian

Eutexian New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2012
    Cue endless speculation on what it will look like, what it will do and what it will cost.

If Olympus owners can do it for months on end.. I'm sure panasonic owners will be up to the challenge - too. :rofl:
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I would imagine it will be aimed squarely at competing with the OM-D and will as such be an all metal, weathersealed, high quality camera with a sensor that surpasses the current GH2.

I would also expect it rather than having a GH designation, it will also have a GX designation along the lines of the GX1 that identifies it as a "Prime" model.

Could be interesting and good for all Mu43 owners/users.
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Makes sense. Gotta have a pricey body to match those pricey fast zooms they're planning to release. I hope they don't add an 'X' to the name... ugh.
  7. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    First, "high-end" and "pro" are two different things.

Panasonic, cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, make a "pro" offering. They don't have the infrastructure to support pros in the field, or cater to their whims, or have a professional services division that services just "pro" cameras in a fast timeframe, with legions of support staff to wisk lenses and cameras all over the globe at a moments notice.

They don't loan $20,000 of gear to people who are pros, they don't field trial dozens of their cameras to newspapers, they don't test their cameras with Photojournalists in war zones. They don't even interview pros for selective admission into a service contract that says their cameras will be replaced, no matter what, within 24 hours.

Nikon does all of this.

So, before Panasonic can even utter the word pro, they have to show me a single PJ who can use their equipment effectively under the stresses of a "pro".

In other words, "pro" will never happen. That said, bring on the high end, I want to see what that means.
  8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Panasonic: Never flagging in their efforts to make me doubt my Olympus fanboyism. :biggrin:
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
  10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Very encouraging news. Dear Panasonic, please send your engineers a Pentax K-5 and tell them that's what you want the GH3 to feel like.

Regarding PRO - I'll be happy if they send me a sticker or patch that says, "PRO". :wink: Joking aside, I do hope they start to offer special service for working pros. That would be cool.
  11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Clean Iso 200,000? But really scrap the plastic port doors on the gx1, base iso50, built in evf and flash.
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Canon no longer do this. CPS is now a paid program for anyone with expensive gear. Hassleblad don't do this. Phase One don't do this. There's more to "pro" than just PJ's. Fuji has got quite a few x100's into the wedding and portrait market and actively market to "pros". Not to mention the amount of "pro" PJ work coming from iPhones and the like. Personally, I think the days of "pros" using certain gear died the day we went digital and cameras became short term equipment. It's more to do with the tool behind the tool.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    "Pro" and "PJ" are not synonyms. There are plenty of pros who have less demanding needs than what you describe, and could potentially manage with m43 gear, even without the services of Nikon and Canon.

Wedding photographers are certainly "pros", but don't need war-zone ready cameras. Fine art photographers who sell their work to galleries are certainly "pros", but don't often need to borrow $20K worth of equipment from Nikon.

You need to broaden your vision a bit. Quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So does this mean a GX2 this year? It surely means a GH3! I think this is a good move by Panasonic.

Looks like lenses may be where they are going to focus a lot of attention and that please me just fine.
  15. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Canon service sucks, ask any CPS member. Hassleblad was sold a long time ago to the Chinese. Phase One just joined Mamiya, and they are about to get crushed by 36mpix D800. Fuji may have dumped some X100's into the laps of a few wedding photogs for free, but I am a professional in this field and I have never seen one.

I agree that the camera is the most important part. But there is a reason why all those companies failed at delivering a pro product, and why you now see more Nikons in the press pit than 1Ds's.

Your definition of pro and mine are clearly different if you think the worlds greatest photographer mated with an iPhone could create anything compelling. Just my 2ç
  16. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    That's where we disagree. :smile:
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    That sounds like a challenge for someone!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. nueces snapper

And you call yourself a 'moderator'. :rofl:
  19. nueces snapper

Oops take it back. You said 'for' not 'to'. Sowy. :blush:
  20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Enough with the silly arguments... Someone photoshop a GHX3-ProXXX now!
    • Like Like x 1