1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic PL 45/2.8 rattle and OIS

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jun 17, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Okay, I recently received a secondhand PL 45/2.8. The lens seems to be in good shape, and as far as I can tell, it works well. However, I've noticed 2 oddities.

1) When the lens is off the camera, I can hear it rattle when I move the lens about. It sounds almost like the barrel is loose (except that this isn't a zoom lens). Anybody else seen (or heard) this?

2) OIS appears to work. However, even with OIS switched off, I can hear the same quiet hum as when OIS is on from the lens. The noise isn't an issue, but it seems like the camera will be drawing power continuously as long as the lens is on it?

Thanks,

DH

2. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, the rattle is normal. It is there on many of Panny's OIS lenses. When the OIS is on or off, the lens element is stabilized, it will need some power, otherwise the element isn't held in place. When on, it is actively correcting your shake, when off, the IS motor is holding the element centered.

3. Panasonic lenses don't "park" the OIS element like some other lens based stabilisation systems (e.g. Canon IS, Nikon VR), hence the constant noise. The OIS units in their 4/3 lenses were the same. The effect is similar to the constant hum of the E-M5 sensor based stabilisation, although the sound of the Panny OIS isn't as loud as that of the E-M5 IBIS.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I see. Well that is a relief! The rattle had me thinking something is loose that shouldn't be. I must say it's not the most inspiring design choice on $600 'Leica' lens, but oh well...

Okay, now that I think back, I vaguely recall my Panasonic 14-45 behaving similarly. It's certainly not loud. I was just worried the OIS might still be partially active, and I really really don't want to have OIS on at high shutter speeds. Great way to ruin an otherwise good shot...

Thanks,

DH

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I never had any issue leaving ois on with high shutter speed, just avoid using that during long time exposure. However have ois ever caused blurred image on high shutter speed for you? I may also want to turn it off if that's necessary.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2