1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic or Olympus Lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by snegron, Jun 29, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I currently have a G5. Can I fit an Olympus m4.3 lens onto it without any special adapters? If so, what functions do I lose? Will I be able to have the same AF, metering capabilities with my G5 if I use an Olympus m4/3 lens on it?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes you can, but all Olympus lenses don't have built in Image Stabilization because Olympus bodies have In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) while Panasonic bodies don't have.

Everything else works properly AFAIK.

The Oly primes are the ones to set your eyes on, if you want zooms I would say if there are Panasonic offerings for the FL you want, just get the Panasonic version.

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    :43: is a lens (mount) standard that is shared by all participants. So, yes, you can use Olympus :43: lenses on Panasonic :43: bodies, and vice versa. Most of the functionality carries over, but there are small software corrections that aren't always. For example, I use the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 on my Olympus E-M5 and chromatic aberrations (purple/green fringing) are not corrected in body on the E-M5 like it would be on your G5.

As monk3y said, for longer lenses, you will want the Panasonic versions for their in-lens image stabilization.

4. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    BTW: only Panasonic zoom lenses are stabilized, primes don't have any stabilization (as all Olympus lenses).

I also have a G5 and happily use the Olympus 45mm and 75mm prime lenses with it...

5. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    All m43 lens can be used on all m43 camera, it's a universal standard. All lenses with electrical contacts give full aperture control and EXIF data on any body. The only lens that behaves a bit odd is the Panasonic 3D lens (but I understand it still works on Olympus cameras, you just end up with a normal 2D image with left and right side by side).