1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic/Olympus Wireless (radio) Bare Bulb Flash

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Clint, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Quantum Instruments, makers of the Qflash, have finally released a Panasonic (and Olympus) compatible CoPilot and Trio Qflash!

Finally – TTL, Manual, Auto, Auto Fill wireless (radio) bare bulb flash, remotes controlled at the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Clint, any word on Hypersynch abilities?

3. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Just had a scour through their literature and specs, and it doesn't mention hypersynch, although they are supporting wireless HSS
    Certainly worth keeping an eye on.
    Thanks for the heads up.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I have not been able to get my hands on a Co-Pilot yet and do not have any plans to get the Trio. The Quantum Co-Pilot and Trio do support Nikon's HSS and since it has taken Quantum Instruments 3 years to get these on the street for Panasonic - I'm guessing they will support FP Sync. But we'll have to wait and see for sure.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  5. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    HSS/FP doesn't really float my boat, due to the cost in light output etc., and not really applicable for what I do.
    I don't doubt it'll happen at some point, but in the mean time, I have to find a way to circumnavigate the challenge.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    ND Filters!

7. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Nah

That would effect both ambient and flash, whereas Hypersynch would effect Ambient only. Well, that's not strictly true, as you're riding the tail of the flash, and therefore losing some of the power. That said, just raising the shutter speed to 1/2000 is generally enough for what I want, and tends not to chop the tail early enough to affect the exposure from the flash.
    I can probably dig out a couple of examples, although most will be at the studio. (I'm currently at home, watching a film, or so my wife thinks!)

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Using the Sunny 16 rule
    ISO 200, 1/200, f/16 or ISO 200, 1/6400, F/2.8 for the same overall exposure

With 6 stop ND you’re now at
    ISO 200, 1/200, f/2.0

at 6 stops ND the E-M1 has no problem focusing etc. in daylight. Higher ND filtering might or might not cause issues.

I have flashes that work up to 1/320 so I can increase shutter speed 1/320 to reduce the ambient 2/3 of a stop and still shoot at F/2.0 and/or I change to Low ISO on the E-M1. Because I do shoot mid-day sometimes and want to use flash, I might use a polarizer, a variable ND, and when needed I have several Seven5 ND filters so I can adjust focus and then just slide an filter in place.

I only had a polarizer with me when I took this self portrait and could only reduce exposure two stops but that is how this photo was taken https://www.mu-43.com/threads/29529/page-17#post-813720 and I think I was only using 1/4 power of the FL-600R about 6 feet (2m) away for the fill.

For me I had to try it and that’s what I’d suggest, I think you'll find it a viable solution. Just buy a cheap Varible ND and try it. If you get an ND that has a color shift just shoot in B&W so the color shift doesn’t distract.

9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Nice portrait Clint. ;)

I'll dig summat out, if I can find anything on this laptop, and post up for you

10. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    ok, I have this one on my laptop. It's from a band shoot a while ago. (March 2013)

Nikon D3 1/8000 sec ISO200 24-70mm f2.8 @24mm & f5

MontegoBay_027 copy.

There's a behind the scenes video somewhere or other