1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic / Olympus Interchangeable Lenese ????

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dakota, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    I read on a Camera Labs review that many lenses between these two manufactures are interchangeable. If so is there a list that tells about which lenses that can be used by these two cameras or is it by certain models only? Feedback appreciated. Thanks you Bill :confused-53:

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    All Panasonic lenses work on Olympus bodies, and vice-versa. Micro four thirds lenses that is. Not all features work all bodies (the aperture rings on some Panasonic lenses do t work on Olympus bodies, but you can still set the aperture with the camera).

3. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    As long as the mount is the same (Micro 4/3) the lens can be used on either body (possible exception the weird 3D lens Panasonic made in the past that only works on certain Panasonic bodies) - but as mentioned above, some features will be limited to specific bodies (for example, bodies and lens that support dual-stabilization only work within brand, the lens will work - but if you put them on a different manufacturer body - you will have to choose if you want lens or body stabilization, you can not combine them)

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    All micro 4/3 lenses should work on both Panasonic and Olympus micro 4/3 cameras. The fact that they are interchangeable is one of the biggest advantages of the micro 4/3 system.

Lenses may work slightly better on cameras of the same brand (faster focusing, better image stabilization, etc), but not a lot better. For the most part, it is fine to mix and match, though you can always ask about a specific lens+camera combo on this forum before you spend a lot of money.

Note that 4/3 lenses (without the "micro") will not work on either, unless you have an adapter.

5. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Thanks for the info greatly appreciated.. Again thanks Bill :thumbup:

6. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Looking at the OM-D E-M1 and possibly the E-M1 MK II camera and possibly the G85. Olympus has a M.Zuiko ED 14-150 F/4.56 II lens at $499.00 on B&H. Panasonic has a Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140 F/3.5-5.6 ASPH Power O.I.S. for $697.99 on B&H. The Olympus 14-150 has no coatings. I think if I am not wrong the Panasonic 14-140 is a better lens than the Olympus. Will the Panasonic 14-140 work on the Olympus E-M1 camera and have all the functions it has AF etc. Feedback appreciated thanks Bill

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, all modern lenses are multi-coated.

For an e-m1 or g85, the Oly lens would be better as it is weather sealed.

9. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    The Panasonic should work on oly bodies, not sure about that no coating for the 14-150 however, I have that lens and if is fantastic. (The Panasonic has good reviews too, I just do not have experience with it)

10. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Not having coatings is on B&H web site when you go to that lens description on the front page of the lens. Thanks Bill

11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I guess lenses without coatings were probably made, like a hundred years ago? I've been wearing glasses for 18 years and never have I worn a pair with non-coated lenses.

12. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I think you got a little confused. The description says ZERO lens coating which stands for Olympus’ ZERO (ZUIKO Extra-low Reflection Optical Coating) lens coatings. It is a very good superzoom and the weatherproofing does make it a better match to the weathersealed bodies you are considering.

13. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Thanks SVQuant for that info. That solves a lot of questions great info to have. Thanks again Bill

14. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    You are welcome. I believe that the Panasonic lens looks a little better on the specs and tests, but I did not see any real difference between the two in the image samples here on the site, so I decided to get the Panasonic instead.

Another thing you might want to look at if you are considering the E-M1 is the $1299 kit which Olympus is offering (E-M1 + 12-40Pro). Depends on your preferred use and focal lengths.

15. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Thanks for that info. I will check it out. I am not getting thing till the E-M1 mk II is released and the price. Thanks again Bill

16. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

Only the pro lens are weather sealed.

17. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    KBeezie; Thanks for that info good to know

Bill

18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the Oly 14-150 II is sealed, despite not being a Pro model.

19. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Not true, the 60mm f2.8 macro and the 12-50 f3.5-6.3 are both dust and splash proof.

20. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The pro line is the only one said to be weather sealed, but most certainly not all of their line up is not. My Oly 45/1.8, 12/2.0, etc are not, and the 12mm is not an inexpensive lens.

The # of non-sealed Olympus lens is still greater than the number of sealed ones, so the argument of going for an olympus lens because they're weather sealed is moot unless you're talking bout a very specific selection.