1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic OIS on Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zpierce, Feb 21, 2012.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    What happens with Panasonic lenses OIS when placed on an Olympus body? Does it get disabled? I assume the IBIS and OIS would not play nicely, fighting each other portentially? Just curious as I consider my first Olympus body and have a 3 Panny OIS lenses.

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The standard answer is to use one or the other, but last week when I went by my brick and mortar store I was informed otherwise. They told me that they had done comparisons and found that with. The E-P3 that if you leave it on, for both cam and panny lens, that it gives you another stop of stabilization over what each offer individually. I honestly haven't tried it myself yet, to see if they were correct. Also didn't ask if this works with all 3rd generation pens, I would assume so...maybe our resident oly expert(Ned) can be of service here.

3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I find that hard to believe. If both the lens and the body detect movement and apply a correction, you would think the end result would be endless over-correction.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah, it seems to me the body would be correcting motion with the assumption the lens wasn't, so it would over correct in the end.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I agree fully, just reiterating what I was told by the Olympus rep when I was at the camera store last week. I thought you pick one or the other, as both would cancel each other out, but I've been told otherwise. Maybe someone else can pitch their two cents based on experience.

6. It's hard to see the two systems combining favourably when they are working independently of each other, and I'd be surprised if Olympus had there IBIS setup to recognise lens-based OIS and sync the two. I'd like it if the existing Olympus bodies would automatically defer to the lens when a Panasonic OIS lens is mounted instead of having to switch off the IBIS manually.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My last experience with this was on Four-Thirds DSLRs... at that time it was the case that both used together would create a very blurry effect. I couldn't say if that has changed since the Micro Four-Thirds era, but I had not heard of any change nor see any reason why it should be different.

Now that the new Lumix lenses are being made without a manual on/off switch for OIS, the OIS should switch off when mounted on an Olympus body. Perhaps this is what the rep was talking about? When using a switchless OIS lens you want to leave IBIS on in your Oly body, and there will be no conflict.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'm going by there again tomorrow, I'll ask again and see if I can get a little more info...

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Funny, but ALL the Olympus manuals tell you to use one or the other, but not both.

10. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    still wondering wheter the ois will fast on af on pen, and is it just like others zuiko lenses af in dslr 43?

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't know any Olympus sales reps. I used to know a couple of Canon reps. The truth is that I knew more about their products than they did.