1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic OIS does it work well?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jorge Ledesma, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Hello,

I'm looking to see if you can share your experiences with Panasonic camera and their own lenses.

I just got the 14-42mm to match my G2 and I'm just dying to have a heads up on this issue. Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    yes, it works very well.

That doesn't mean it will eliminate all blur from camera motion. Like every IS system, it has it's limits. And there are times when it should probably be turned off, like on a tripod, and possibly at high shutter speeds. Although I forgot to turn it off when using a tripod on a recent trip and the images came out fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't feel that my two Panasonic OIS lenses "lock" quite as solidly (as you see it through the viewfinder) as some of my Canon IS lenses, but it still seems pretty good. Of course, the downside of very effective IS lenses is that it is difficult to make fine adjustments to the framing once the IS is active because it counter-acts any slight movements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Like Like x 2
  5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    • Like Like x 1
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Not all the shots were like this of course, but it's nice to know that if you really need to, you can take 3-4 photos and at least one is likely to be sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. If you happen to have more image example of the Panny OIS, do post a few here please.

Cheers,
    JL

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  9. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    I think the performance of Panasonic OIS depends on the lens (and possibly the body). There are major unresolved issues with the 45-175mm X lens OIS and the 14-42mm X lens has some problems as well.

Keith

10. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I've been using the 14-42 (not X) and 45-200. From my totally unscientific "looking at pictures" testing method I'd say that on the whole it's more reliable than Olympus' ibis and seems to cause fewer cases of slight unsharpness if it's left on when not really needed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    very impressive results, thanks for sharing, I'm turning into a believer. What Mode do you use, thanks

Thanks for the heads up, so far I've got the 14-42mm the regular one and I'm looking to get the 45-200mm, so I hope that one works well.

Nice :) love it, as I'm looking to add that bigger zoom as well.

12. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Speak of the devil, I got my 14-42mm today, very nice looking indeed. Here are a couple of shots are 1/10 and 1/15 seconds with Mode 1 for OIS, I took these in about 2 secs, added + Luminance and sharpened it bit and pretty impressive I must say for the Panny OIS, I'm satisfied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Great sharpness and detail in those shots, Jorge. To answer your question, I shoot in aperture priority mode a lot. But when I took that photo of the birds, I may have had the camera on intelligent auto, believe it or not, because the lens was brand new at the time and I was just testing it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks Biro for all your insights. :)