Panasonic nomenclature

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Aug 6, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

Can someone help me with the various camera designations such as GH, GX, G3K etc etc.? I come from the Nikon world where Dxx refers to consumer DSLRs such as d40, Dxxx refers to prosumer such as D300, Dx refers to consumer bodies such as D4. It took me a long time to figure out their naming system,

What significance do the different Panasonic designation have? For instance is there anyway I can tell which bodies have an EVF? I don't want to waste my time looking at ones that only have a rear LCD. The reason I am asking is that I expect to be pulling the trigger soon on a used Panny, and I am getting somewhat confused. :confused:

2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
  3. dezignman

dezignman Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    GH series is the top of the line. The GX is the newest series with a comparable sensor to the G3; great price, an excellent camera with an excellent EVF attachment also at an affordable price. G3K (the G series) as far as I know only designates K as being black body. GF is a smaller sized sensor series without EVF. There have been GF1, GF2, GF3, and now a GF5 (they skipped 4 because it is considered bad luck in Japan). There was an EVF attachment for the GF1, GF2.
  4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    The models with an included EVF are the G series. G1/G2/G3/G5.

The GH series are a larger body with and also an included EVF and more controls. The GH2 is still considered the best among video guys. It has a multi-aspect sensor as well so you can shoot in 16:9/3:2/4:3 without cropping.

The GF series went from being a smaller form factor but still full featured (GF1) to less features and more compact (GF2/GF3/GF5).

The GX1 is sort of the re-invention of the original GF1 and has all the good features in a rangefinderesque feel. It has drifted away from the GF series by adding a more premium build.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. f8andbethere

These replies are a big help especially the Wikipedia link. I'm going to take a wild guess that DMC + Digital Mirrorless Camera. :)
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    GH: Top of the Line. Integrated EVF, most advanced features. King of video.

G: Mid level. Integrated EVF. DSLR-like form factor.

GX: Mid level (some would argue more premium than G line). Rangefinder style, compact form factor. Optional EVF attachment.

GF: Entry level. Extreme compact form factor. Minimum external controls. No EVF attachment. No hot shoe.
  7. f8andbethere

I looked at the price of the EVF attachment for the GX1and I see that it costs close to $400 new. That's a pricey attachment.
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Uh maybe youre searching the wrong places. Retail price is usually a bit under 200 USD.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    It's only $160 at B+H and Adorama
  10. f8andbethere

I was looking on fleabay, and seller located in Asia. I just found the one at Adorama you mentioned. Thanks
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You know...
    When I first got into Micro Four Thirds, part of the reason why I went Olympus was because I couldn't figure out Panasonic naming....:redface:

So I can understand completely why you asked this question. :smile:
  12. smiclalef427

smiclalef427 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    I do not know for certain what the DMC stands for. However, it probably did not originally stand for mirrorless, because the Panasonic DMC-L1 & DMC-L10 had mirrors. Probably not far off on the "digital" part however.

I rather enjoy Panasonic's naming convention once you "crack the code." And then there are the different suffices to denote the different body colors and kit lens combinations.

So, in the example of a DMC-GX1KS kit
    K=14-42mm lens
    S=Silver Body Color

However, in a Body-Only example the DMC-GX1K Body
    K=Black Body Color

Kit Lens Codes:
    K=14-42mm lens (Or 14-45mm for G1, GF1, GH1 kits)
    C=14mm (Or 20mm on GF1 kit)
    X=14-42mm "X" Powerzoom lens
    H=14-140mm lens

Body Color Codes:

Very similar "Lumix-ese" on all the parts (battery, straps) and accessories (flash, filter).
  13. f8andbethere

Wow! They sure love to confuse people!
  14. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    U can get the evf2 for $160 from b&h
  15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    DMC is used as the prefix for every Panasonic still camera, even their compacts, so it's doubtful that the M means Mirrorless.

No one seems to know for sure, but the theory of "Digital Media Camera" has been floated around.
  16. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I think there's also a W for kit lens codes?

I have a GX1WGC-K, or generally DMC-GX1W on the box. It's a black dual kit (regular 14-42mm, and 14mm).

I'm confused. :confused:
  17. f8andbethere

Lol, lfmao, stfu, gr8, r u nuts, iirc, ymmv, glws
  18. smiclalef427

smiclalef427 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    I forgot about dual lens kits, we don't see many of those in the US.
  19. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Yup. But those longer codes are stock codes isn't it ?
    When we get the rules, it can be parsed easily using regular expression-like logic for the stock keeping programs and yet still comprehensible by human.
    The model names are also usually introduced to consumer without the DMC part.

In Japan, "W" seems to be used as shorthand for "double" quite often