Panasonic needs a serious wake up call.......

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BushmanOrig, Dec 6, 2017.

1. BushmanOrig

BushmanOrig Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2015
    Siegfried
    Seems to me Panasonic has no product growth strategy or path, they have no growth or client potential growth path in their plans or strategy......that is if they have a strategy at all..!!!

I get the feel the engineers at Panasonic take what ever technology they get hold of and they start developing on the fly. I know my criticism is probably a little hard, especially taking in account I really like Panasonic cameras and lenses.

This is how I recall the past few years......

Panasonic GH3 Great image and video
    Panasonic GH4 Not even 6 months after the GH3

MKI "PRO" lenses that today are nearly worthless on the 2nd hand markets:
    14-140mm, 12-35mm F2.8, 35-100mm F2.8 and so many others...just because Panasonic did not plan in body stabilization and therefore their lens development path.

In between the GX80/81 were launched. I recall taking the GX80/81 out for its 1st street show when I noticed how the sensor were rattling in the camera body when the camera was switched off. Dual IS (or what version thereof between the GX8 and the GX80/81 just did not really worked) I got rid of both these bodies so fast, especially when looking at the color from the GX80/81 at the time......

Then the GH5 came on the market a while back. Specs to die for, especially in terms of video. Reports of noise, focussing issues and complexity plagued the GH5 from day one. In addition to take benefit of Dual stabilization the user needs to completely restock on all Panasonic Pro series lenses.....forcing 2nd hand market prices into the ground.....well done Panasonic.

Then to top it all of not even 8 month the the best and fantastic G9 sees the light. WHAT.....are you serious Panasonic, could you really not fix image quality in the GH5?

Apologies for my rant.....its just one would expect a little more planning from a manufacturer like Panasonic!!

I kept my GH4 and really love it, awesome camera!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Don't think I agree with any of that ?

• Agree Agree x 21
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I am sure Panasonic (and Olympus and Canon and Nikon and...) don't really plan their products with respect to the 2nd hand market. Their interest is fully on the 1st hand market.

As to the second hand market, I can not speak for any of those expect the 12-35mm/2.8 which I own (2nd hand) and use on my Olympus so I occasionally peak at asking prices on those here and it still seems to go for around $500-ish US. Looks like new ones are about $700? So seems to be a pretty strong resale market for that one. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the MKII versions of those lenses primarily cosmetic updates? I don't recall hearing about any sort of optical or other performance upgrades when they (the 12-35 and 35-100 specifically) were announced. (not really familiar with the 14-140).

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Panasonic gives 2 shits about the 2nd hand market.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    This is going to be a thread that makes me giggle...........

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    :coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco::coco:
    :jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi:
    :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
    :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Thanks God i choose Olympus :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I agree with the OP on the "unplanned features", and I'm a Lumix lover too. What I think Panasonic is doing right is that it has grew from the ground up to have changed the industry, look what Nikon/Pentax have done when they spent all the time "planning", I still have respect for Canon though due to its dual-pixel AF.

8. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    They send out reps with a multi-year vision of where they are going - far ahead of Nik Ahn

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What did I just read?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SeaRefractor

SeaRefractor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 26, 2017
    Pretty happy with my GX85 and I've shaken that thing like a Maraca with no apparent ill effect. I've owned a Pentax DSLR K-50 and eventually K-70 with their Shake Reduction technology for years with a similar image sensor flop when it's turned off without any issue.

Have to say that while I'm glad for the innovation and Panasonic's desire to stay on the leading edge, once I buy a camera I want everyone to use the same thing, have rave reviews for just my camera model and everyone own it for decades.
    Just kidding.

All I care about is if the lens mount remains compatible, with IBIS while Dual I.S. is cool why not purchase all the non-OIS lenses out there for super cheap? Since I use a large number of antique manual focus Pentax KP mount lenses with a focal reducer adapter for my m4/3, I'm daily using non-OIS lenses.

Not sure the need for Dual I.S. unless using a closer to 100-400mm lens.

20171206_180526.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree, I think a lot about not too much :popcorm2:

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That was a good rant!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    I dunno. My GX8 still takes lovely pictures, even after the GX85, G85, GH5 & G9 have appeared. Colours took a little bit of getting used to after shooting Canon for many years. All my lenses still work too. Oddly enough. When something appears in the future that takes my fancy, I'll probably buy it. It's a camera dude. You point it at things, press the shutter, and it takes a picture. I think you need to relax a bit, and get back to basics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2017
    Something about how I'm out of troll food, I think. I'm not sure why that needs a whole thread of its own, though. I mean, I'm always out of troll food. So it's not like it's news or merits much discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    But it will anyway, slow day today at the office and all that.....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It sounds like you're mainly grumpy that Panasonic is continually improving their products? You wish they did it more slowly? Or you wish that they didn't release improvements, because it reduces the second-hand value of previous purchases?

It's a competitive market. Sony is racing ahead as fast as possible, and it seems like Panasonic is the only one who's even trying to catch up.

Sensor rattle when off happens in every camera that has 5-axis IBIS. It's held in place with electromagnets. That's how it works.

Panasonic cares less than zero what the second-hand market is like. Their only concern would be if it was low enough that the demand for those cheap 2nd hand lenses was depressing sales of their shiny new gear. From your post, that certainly doesn't sound like it's the case. Lots of GAS...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm surprised to find myself replying to this. But here goes..

- Maybe the releases don't form a smooth evolution path when compared logically. The G9 release surprised most of us given how recently the GH5 was launched. However, my guess is that Panasonic looked at the success of the E-M1ii and wanted some of that market. Long term strategy in business is nice, but in my 30+ years of experience in the software technology space working for companies that author large business packages I can tell you that grand-reveal long-term projects carry a lot of risk and are more often than not doomed to failure. It's better to be more nimble and agile with smaller projects targeted at specific features or markets and done with an eye to both customer needs and competitor positioning. Behemoths like IBM, DEC etc all failed (or have become shadows of their former selves) because they became too bound to this big planning culture. They had labs full of bright people with great ideas - the failure was in management's ability to harness this.

- Panasonic's decision to not use IBIS in their Lumix m43 cameras was clearly a long term strategy (since they developed lots of lenses with OIS). They got it wrong and changed track. That's a good decision. The fact that they can't back-engineer sync IS into older lenses is hardly surprising since that wasn't part of the original plan. Just live with it. In any case, it's not my view that the older Pro lenses have tumbled in value. In truth there is zero optical difference compared to the new versions, sync IS is worth less than a stop and in any case they work beautifully on Olympus bodies and older Panasonic bodies anyhow.

- I personally much prefer Olympus bodies (yes, even the menus), but there is nothing wrong with any of the Panasonic u43 bodies of the last few years. None of them produce "bad color", especially if you shoot raw (which is what all serious photographers should do). We all (and I include myself in this) need to use the gear we have more and cogitate less on new gear, let alone the strategies of the manufacturers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    Sounds like too much time spent on interwebz camera forums. Notice I didn't say photography forums. Gear forums send one mad. Reading all the whingeing & whining about all the things wrong with every camera and lens. Too big, too small, too heavy, too expensive, too light, too cheap, rubbish build quality, the list goes on. Yeah, I'm guilty of grizzling about gear from time to time, but soon snap out of it :) Spend your energy making pictures, rather than obsessing over the little computer capturing the details. Much more fun doing that.

• Like Like x 3
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    1.5 and that's my last offer

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Verbal diarrhea from someone who didn't bother to do an ounce of research before angrily hammering away at their keyboard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1