Panasonic May Launch a Fixed Lens Compact Camera with a Four-Thirds Sensor

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by GeBathan, Jul 9, 2014.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That would be nice. For me to be interested it would need a fast optic and truly pocketable. If fix focal length, release siblings various focal lengths. I can see myself carrying two 28mm and 50mm equiv for example.
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Something in the image and likeness of GR... more importantly what is inside the hood, not just the outer beauty.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Although my preference (pipe dream) is a 28-90/F1.8 fixed lens camera, it would be cool to have "high value" fixed focal lengths options. $500 for a camera the size of GM1 with only slight lens protuberance when powered down? I'm in for a 35/1.8 and a 90/1.8.
  4. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I expect any such camera would have a Prime lens. If they could design a lens with an extra element that could be "switched in", maybe as part of the lens collapse mechanism, then they could have 2 focal lengths. 15mm and 30mm? 18mm and 36mm.

Whatever they do, I hope they put a proper filter thread on it.
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am excited to see this one! I hope it is a fast wide-normal (17-20mm) with solid dust sealing, built in flash and stabilization. Oh yeah, and a minimum shutter speed setting for auto iso would be nice! ;)
  6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If it were to be a fixed standard focal length in the 17-25mm range, I would think that Panasonic could also offer converter lenses akin to what Fuji has done with the X100/X100S rather than additional cameras in differing focal lengths as Sigma does. I would imagine the smaller sensor would allow any such optics to be more compact than the Fuji offerings as well.
  7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Its shocking to me that the big manufacturer's refuse to make a fixed FL camera with the 50mm FL equivalent lens. I dream of a camera like a X100 or RX1r with a 50mm 1.4. Lets see what Panasonic does here, I suspect another 28mm or 35mm equivalent.
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I would like to see it and its nice to have options but I don't see how it could compete with second hand Fuji X100. That's on price alone, without even mentioning Fuji's superb looks viewfinder and sensor. Panasonic should have released this model before X100s came out.
  9. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Compared to the other really good enthusiast oriented fixed-lens large-sensor cams on the market, this will have to be less expensive or offer something a lot different to make much sense. Another $600+ 28 or 35mm fixed lens compact with less than APS-C sensor won't get much traction next to Fuji, Sigma, and Ricoh...
  10. ginggreenaninja

ginggreenaninja Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    They've just launched the FZ1000.
    I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but it's a Leica lensed bridge camera, with 1" sensor and big zoom.
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    And a most interesting camera it is. Maybe Panasonic is taking a page from Sony's book and experimenting a bit.
  12. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    If it's GM1 sized with a fast lens my wallet will be lighter...