Panasonic M4/3 Cameras with Built-in EVFs?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    Which Panasonic m4/3s cameras have built-in electronic viewfinders?

I would like to get a decent camera for my 11-year-old grandson. The E-PL1 with the VF-2 would be my choice, except that I think he would very likely lose the viewfinder, so it needs to be a camera with the EVF permanently attached. Also, of course, price is a consideration.

Thanks for your help.
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the G3 is the camera you are looking for... probably the best value in m4/3 as well (even before the recent deals)! You could also look at used copies of this line (e.g. G2).
  3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If price is a concern, you could pick up a G1 or G2 or G3 used.
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel

you can get him a used G2 or G3 plus the kit lens or the P14.
    If video is not needed the G1 is also a good choice.

I own the G2 and it is a great camera and probably the best handling one except for the GH2.
  5. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    G2. Better handling, and at the price it's selling it won't be too painful if he breaks it.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The G3 is readily available brand new for not much money and will be a great choice overall.
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Can't go wrong with the G1/2/3 depending on what price you can find them at.
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve and B&H are currently offering the G3 with kit zoom lens for $399. If you go either of these routes, make sure you use Amin's affiliates link to help support this site.
  9. troutgeek

troutgeek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2012
    Madison, WI area.
    My name is Bob, and I would like you as my grandfather.
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The answer to your question is G1/G2 (original 12MP sensor), G3 (16 MP hi ISO sensor), G5 (GH2 sensor), GH1 (12MP multi aspect sensor), GH2 (16 MP hi DR multi aspect sensor), GH3 (brand new sensor -possibly Sony)

But, I don't think any of these is really appropriate for an 11 year old, no matter how smart his grandpa thinks he is :) a weatherproof/drop proof/waterproof compact with good zoom range will teach him much more about photography IMHO because he can take it anywhere, and it won't spend time out of service being broken. Little buttons/dials are fine for his little fingers.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    As mentioned, any G-series or GH-series Panny camera has a built-in EVF.

However, if you were considering the E-PL1 + VF-2 but are concerned about losing the VF-2, then why not consider the E-PL1 + VF-3, which will not only give you a locking EVF but also save you about $100?

I love my VF-2 for its superior optical performance, but I also love my VF-3 for its lock and slimmer build. The quality of the VF-3 is plenty fine and the difference is only notable immediately after using the VF-2.
  12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    Any recommendations?
  13. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Take a peek over at the Olympus and Pentax tough series.

Alternatively if he just wants to take pictures just buy him a older camera, whether used or new. I doubt a CSC would be much different to him than any other one.
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The wife has a Panasonic TS-10, and my backup is an Olympus Tough TG320. Either is perfectly serviceable for viewing on screen and making small prints.