Panasonic m4/3 100-300 or Olympus 4/3 70-300?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DarrenG, Feb 19, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Looking for advice on a 2nd hand lens purchase.

Options are the Panasonic m4/3rds 100-300 or the Olympus 4/3rds 70-300 (to which I would need to add the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapter.

Assuming the all up cost will be the same, which is better for my GF1?

2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I can't see any advantage in your going for the older adapted lens. You'll almost certainly suffer slower AF speed,although the 70-300 is a very good lens for the price (I have one)

As the Olympus doesn't have IS and the PAnasonic does, and it's helpful at these lengths, in your position, I'd be going for the Panasonic.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My question is what do you want to shoot? I have a GF1 and found it great for wide, normal and short telephoto lenses but awkward for longer telephoto use, especially in the sun. I bought a G1 body for my longer lenses.

Have you also thought about the Panny 45-200? Shorter focal length but shorter in size as well. And shorter in price. I am very happy with mine.

And PDH's point on the IS is critical in my estimation.

4. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I want a long telephoto for moon photography and other tripod mounted uses, it won't be used handheld so IS isn't a feature I'd use much and it would be mostly manual focus too.

I have somehow confused matters (eBay listings) and the Panasonic 100-300 will cost a lot more than I had thought so that may have to be discounted. In which case the choice will be between the Panasonic 45-200 m4/3 or the Olympus 4/3 with an adapter.

The longer focal length would be preferable but funds are limited!

5. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The faster focusing and IS for the 45-200 would still pay off in the long run overall I believe.

Have you thought of a 300mm or 400mm legacy lens? I have a Nikon 300/4.5, a Pentax 300/5.6 and a Tokina 400/5.6. The Nikon I picked up for $80 and the other two under $50. And there are relatively inexpensive 500/8 off-brand legacy lenses out there.

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    A legacy lens would probably work fine given I have no needs for IS or AF. Just find that whole area a bit of a minefield with the multitude of mounts, adapters etc.

Is the Nikon 300mm you mention a 'Nikon NIKKOR*ED 300mm f4.5 manual focus'? if so, what adapter would I need for that, not sure what mount these older Nikon's had?

7. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My 300/4.5 is an older one, not the ED. Wish it was, especially at the price I got it at.

It is the standard Nikon F mount.

There are lots of good 300mm legacy lenses out there from Canon, Minolta, etc. at reasonable prices. I just got a good deal n the Nikon first.

1039285023_jD23Z-M-2.

8. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Great, then that's what I'll go for, looks like I can grab one of then and a Nikon F Mount adapter for a lot less and I'd fancied some legacy lens action anyway!

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

One last question, any recommendations with regard to an adapter, any things I need to look out for?

9. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have been getting my adapters from Rainbow Imaging on eBay and have been satisfied.

However I would not limit myself to Nikon - that is the advantage of m4/3 - we can pick from almost any manufacturer. I would ask others here to make recommendations as well.

You can quite possibly pick up another manufacturer for less money, especially if you can live with a 5.6 aperture. That 300/4.5 is nice but my Pentax 300mm/6.3 (I misspoke when I said 5.6) is smaller and lighter and great for walks around the lake.

As for the Nikons look carefully as there are several variations on it. Mine is at the very bottom of this page but you can see there are links to many variations.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/300mmf45.htm

The ED versions are generally better and lighter but much more expensive.