Panasonic LX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by garethld, Jan 13, 2014.

1. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    I know its not a M43 but I am thinking about getting one as a premium compact. anyone have any experience of them or comments that would be helpful for me?

I've got a GX7 and loads of lenses for the majority of instances but this looks like a neat package to carry around with me otherwise.

best price i found so far was £229 at digital rev.

2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
  3. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I had the LX5 before going m43, and loved it. The LX7 has an even better lens and some other additions that makes it a very good camera IMHO. Except for the lens, it has a multi aspect sensor, a very good macro mode, and pretty much the same interface as the GX7 (I have a GX1 and could swap between the two almost without thinking). And a nice deep DOF that can come in handy some times.

What I missed was low light performance above ISO 6-800 and a bit of reach. I can't speak of LX7 JPEGs, but the LX5 were so so and actually made me switch to RAW.
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I think it's excellent . I feel bad about not using it much (got it specifically for events where removable lens cameras are not allowed). Video is really spiffy with it if that's an interest .
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I agree on both counts. Performance at high ISO stinks, anything above 1000 is pretty bad, and it won't let you set a maximum iso in 1/3ev steps, so its either 800 or 1600. Jpegs are reallly, really bad. Most cameras I shoot jpeg+raw and throw away the raws unless i really need them. This is the only camera I do the opposite.

That said, the camera itself is an absolute pleasure to use. They nailed the controls, the UI is very good, I don't even miss a touch screen. The lens is very sharp. I've bought this camera twice actually. I have a Sony RX100 and a Fuji XF1, but I love shooting with this one more. If I could package the Fuji secret sauce into the LX7, I'd be in heaven. The RX100 is an amazing machine, but the UI and hand feel aren't nearly as good as the LX7.

So in conclusion, if you value the "shooting experience" the LX7 is an amazing performer, but for IQ and good jpegs, there are much better performers. People are ditching LX7s for pretty cheap, you can find clean ones for under $200 or new ones on sale for $250ish.
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I had the LX5 for several years and loved it. I gave it to my son a couple of months ago and am missing it. The LX7 has many improvements and is a remarkable P&S. The image quality is top notch. The similarities of the menus make it an ideal companion camera to any Panasonic u4/3 camera. I am thinking about purchasing an LX7 too.
  7. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    You need to work on the settings and WB like most earlier Pana M43 bodies. I was using it this week and as long as you get it set right for the scene it will give you very good jpegs. I got it for the other half to use but beware it needs to be learned, manual app ring, switchable AF/MF/Macro, and switchable picture format will screw up your shots unless you are in the habit of checking them all the time. I am thinking of selling it and some other stuff and replacing with a GM1.
  8. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    If you need the long end and don't do much high iso (anything over 400-800) I think the LX7 is awesome. I've had it as my 'on the go' camera for some time but found it's not really pocket able. Jacket pocket 'maybe' but hardly pants maybe cargos uncomfortably. I've since switched to a Sony RX100 ($399 deals are peaking around here and there) and I find it to be VERY useful at ISO 3200 and can comfortably put in my jeans pocket. Albeit I use it basically as a prime in low light (zoom gets dark compared to lx7). I don't have any lighting situation where I can't use it. If I need flash not only is it sufficient but I can bounce (and this little flash is BRIGHT). I also love the RX100 can take 17mp jpgs while shooting uninterupted video at 60i (not 60p for both). And the 60p on both cameras are pretty close (very similar codec). The high iso / low light also translates on the video side towards the RX100. Again not many lighting situations too challenging for the RX100. The tech in the RX100 is also awesome (focus peaking which I use constantly, some low light tricks where it merges 6 images for cleaner pix, and being able to change exposure during video). For me LX7 is no contest to the RX100 and the price difference today is not as bad as it used to be. Oh last but not least the LCD is actually useful in bright daylight (mostly for composition, exposure/ wb etc not so much) so I don't find I need an evf. Just my experience with the LX7 and why I don't own it anymore.