Panasonic LVF1 viewfinder replacement

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by tv-tirl, May 4, 2010.

1. tv-tirl

tv-tirl New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2010
    There was a rumour originating in mid March that we may have a Panasonic LVF1 viewfinder replacement soon. Since then it's all gone silent. I've been holding my breath in anticipation [very difficult for a month and a half]. Has anyone heard an update? I'm not sure whether to keep the GF1 or bin it - or possibly get laser eye surgery so that I don't have to keep taking the reading specs off and on to see the screen!

2. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I believe it was just that - a rumour

Its unlikely they will update an accessory, they will just bring out a GF2 with a better or built in one

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Doubtful....
    The GF1 body accessory port may not have the data path or the body electronics may not have the computing power to handle HI-RES

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm not one to gossip and you didn't get this from me....
    but the Oly VF2 is out of this world....
    Well...that's what the rumor is.....

5. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yeah, and they had to bring out a new camera for that, thats one expensive VF if you need a new camera for it lol.

The LVF2 is not going to be released by Panno, why would they? It would damage any future sales of a possible GF2 next year.

6. tv-tirl

tv-tirl New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks very much for all your thoughts - very instructive. Looks like we're stuck with the grainy viewfinder, then!

7. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I wouldnt say stuck with - you dont have to buy it.

I would rather have what I feel is a more serious tool in the GF1 than an Oly equivalent....better EVF or not.

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

For about the last 3 months i've been reading reviews and seeing what opinions from users on this forum have experienced regarding the DMW-LVF1 viewfinder. I own the worlds best camera (the GF1:smile:) and if there is an accessory out there for it i need it. I think it's a bad case of what some term 'gear acquisition syndrome'. I don't have a problem without the viewfinder at all as i've previously only owned point and shoot apparatuses and not in the habit of bringing the camera up to my eye. But i thought one day it might arise that it is really sunny and i might have to use it. I can see my screen good in bright australian sun anyway but this thought was just to satisfy myself that i needed one.

So i scanned ebay for quite awhile and was really put off by the high price but just about 2 weeks ago i came across one selling from France for 170 AU (about 155US) so i bought it straight away. It arrived in perfect condition and i had a few apprehensions concerning the quality, but alas it was all for nothing! The build is high quality and represents the build of the GF1 well, trying out the resolution wasn't a bad experience at all. I can see exactly what i want to and it moves in relation to the zoom on the lens. Not bad at all. The resolution is good enough to work with and i even can use it for manual focussing. (maybe young eyes help).
    My last camera had a 64k res viewfinder so this is a big step up.

But you know what! I've only used the thing 4 times! I really don't need it as the screen is perfect for me and coming from a point and shoot background i don't think of using it. I take the picture and then realise I didn't use the viewfinder again. So i'm just trying to say that if you really, really ,really need the viewfinder- get it. Or if you just like me and want one because of gear acquisition problem you'll probably not end up using it- just like me.

Maybe when i get in the habit of bringing it up to my eye i'll use it more often. But hey, i get stimulation from seeing the beautiful vibrant 460k screen and that's the fun part about taking pictures.

You're view of how good the the viewfinder is determined on how much you pay for it. Anything is like that.

icon

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    EVF for GF1

I have the Pany GF1 and use the EVF with the 45-200 lens, it is more than suitable for every day use and it allows me to hold the camera steady rather than try and compose at the 400mm setting on an LCD.

The EVF is good value for money and yes, we all want something better but it does what it says on the box and in bright light is a Godsend.

10. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    You know what - I also hold my hand up and admit the same. In my professional photography life I dont gear up any more, but I bought everything for the GF1, and then sold most of it, including the LVF1. I agree with you, the quality is fine, I just realised I didnt use it.

It was a the same time I realised my GF1 would be a prime kinda camera, and sold my 14-45 also. I dont need a view finder to compose an image using a prime lens, I know my settings and I can always see the screen, so I know pretty much how the images will turn out when I get home even if I cant see the screen perfectly.

Just get out there and enjoy your cameras, not worry about having all the add ons (unless you need them), now where did I leave that Profoto Ringflash brouchure lol

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Actually it would be nice if the finders were interchangable as the lenses are.
    Really, what would it take?
    I only use my finder with long legacy lenses,
    otherwise like above, the screen is great.

12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i have the evf for my gf1 purchased so i would have an eye level shooting solution,

the evf is ok .......ive used it to mf in a pinch but dont consider it a long term solution
    as it happens i find i rarely use the evf , but somehow im comforted by knowing its there
    should i need it , personally i find the lcd on the gf1 inadequate for sunlight , but maybe ive got the brightness setting wrong, the lcd on the gf1 is, in better conditions , very good for mf , more so than my ep1 also better button pushiing experence for mf than the ep1

the primary use for the gf1s evf is framing for me , the evf for the pen is astounding in quality, i tried it briefly at b&h photo and was blown away by by its high eyepoint relief and incredible resolution

as i understand it the module the oly evf used was not available when the pannys evf was created , i believe that the connector for the evf of the panny has many pins ....lots of data path and could implement a sucessor if it wanted to ...... i remember reading about the evf module that the oly eventually used when the technology was reported on dp review , i had already been using the panny evf for awhile when i read it

13. nTo

nTo Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Indonesia
    well, if you have to choose...which one would you buy first?
    - The view finder
    - Flash

Thanx!

14. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    I got bored of waiting for a better evf for the GF1 so I bought a G1 instead as a second body :)

Only really need the EVF for the 45-200 and it seems to make a lot more sense on the G1 anyway.

15. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I'm also thinking of getting a viewfinder to use with manual lenses, some of them are really a pain to focus with the display alone! At this point I am also tempted by another body - with IBIS and better noise management, which would help a lot with manual lenses - such as the E-P1 or E-PL1. Nevertherless, I am aware that I already own "too much camera" for my skills so I feel kind of stuck. The LVF-1 seems too expensive for the quality it delivers, even if I know it would be more than enough for me... would really love to see a GF1-compatible LVF-2.

16. patrickm

patrickm New to Mu-43

May 10, 2010
    Since it is taking them so long to release what in theory should just be a tweaked VF-2, I strongly suspect that it will not be compatible with any of the first generation camera bodies :frown:

17. Sam Roberts

Sam Roberts Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Apr 18, 2009
    i think it stinks that a cross compatible system is already going down the route of one upmanship in this way. Surely sales of the oly VF would go through the roof if GF-1 owners could use it? Someone made a good point - you could probably buy a G1 with it's excellent VF for not much more than the VF-2, and surely that's a better camera for the long/legacy lenses than the GF-1/EP's anyway? certainly seems the shape, size and grip would suit a 55-200 better than my GF-1, which I bought for slim pancakes/primes that make a go anywhere package...

18. sinophilia

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    Ok, I cracked and bought a viewfinder off eBay, finally found one in Italy, supposedly new, got it for 144 euro shipping included. Not bad at all! Can't wait to try it out :)

19. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    I'm sure it will be worth every euro for the forthcoming sunny days. :2thumbs:

20. sinophilia

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I received my viewfinder today! I only took a few test shots but I'm quite pleased with it. I can focus at least as well as with the display, but the camera is more stable even with heavy lenses, and of course sunlight does not get in the way so the whole process seems easier and faster. I think it will stay on the camera for good...