1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix X 35-100 Spotted in the Wild

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by drewbot, Aug 1, 2012.

1. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I mentioned this is the Olympic thread, but it may get lost there.

I was looking through the G5 photos from the Olympics, and some of the EXIFs are showing that the 35-100 is being used there.

Take a look: Swimmers compete - Lumix Lifestyle - Share the experience

It's hard to judge of the quality of the lens from just these samples, but it's encouraging that it is in the wild already. Hopefully we can see it soon.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I saw this in the other thread, and I'm really hoping this means it'll be available in the very near future. The 12-35 is a stellar zoom lens... assuming the 35-100 is similar I'd love to have them as a pair - that'd be a dynamic duo of zooms if there ever was one!

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I was actually looking through the photos yesterday, and I noticed 64mm & f/3.5 which I thought was odd. I thought maybe the f/3.5 was an editorial error, but I didn't save the file to look at the EXIF. I guess only the largest images maintain some EXIF, smaller ones don't have any.

It makes sense that they would use the lenses that will soon be launched, I read Canon shooters are using the 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x which is not yet lauched. I was actually thinking that it's too bad the GH3 isn't announced so Dean Mouhtaropoulos could use that as well. Or maybe was also given a camouflaged GH3 as well, with the sample photos only to surface later.

Edit: Do you see EXIF mentioning the 35-100 lens explicitly? LR shows me unknown lens for all the photos.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Why is f3.5 odd?

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Probably meant he couldn't figure out a m4/3 native lens that can have the aperture at f3.5 at that focal length....since it doesn't exist yet... With the exception of the unreleased 35-100

• Like Like x 1
  6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Gotcha.

7. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    Because it's not divisible by 2 :smile::smile:

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks for the heads up. It seems the 35-100 is in final stages of field testing and we will get an availability date at Photokina.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Hopefully this will ensure that it doesn't have any of the problems the 45-170 and 14-42 X lenses have.

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    At the price they're talking about for this lens (last I heard, $1600) and given the quality of the 12-35mm, I would be astonished if the lens turns out to have issues similar to the powerzoom lenses, which are in a completely different league.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    F-stops can be set to 1/2 stops or the default 1/3 stops in the camera menu. That is user defined in the body, and not a function of the lens. My cameras all use 1/2 stops for aperture as well as shutter speed (and full stops for ISO).

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think he meant that's odd because there aren't any current Panasonic lenses that are that fast at 64mm, not because it's a half stop vs. a third stop.

13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It's odd as in unusual because none of the native zooms that go through 64mm go to f/3.5, not becase you can't stop a faster lens there. I first thought it's a photo from the 45-175 and they meant to type f/5.3. I just can't stop my 45-175 at f/3.5, that would be very odd! :D

Thanks for the explanation, I should amend my earlier post to mention odd as in strange/unusual, as I said above and as Empireme picked up. :wink:

I left my f-stops at 1/3, but I'm with you on ISO stops on Oly. On my GX1 I do 1/3 ISO as easy enough to pick from a full screen of various ISO settings the sub-stops.

Could anyone actually read an EXIF identifying this lens? I'm just asking as he could obviously have a prototype, but it could otherwise be an adapted FT lens.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In any case, f/3.5 is using a 1/3 stop scale. 1/2 stop would be f/3.3.

DH

15. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    Just curious by EXIF are you looking at the bottom of the image where it displays focal length and f stop etc? That could be any lens though. 64mm at 3.5 can be a four thirds Oly lens with an adapter though.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah, gotcha! :)

Actually, f/3.5 is a half stop... at least as Olympus cameras read it. When I did the actual math myself once I'm pretty sure I had the same result, but I can't give you any guarantees on that one. At any rate, the half-stops on the camera goes f/2.8, f/3.5, f/4, f/4.5, f/5.6, etc...

I don't remember what the 1/3 stops are as I haven't used a camera with them in so long... nor do I want to do the math. ;)

Well, that's all off-topic anyways. Just a little digression...

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I highly doubt it. From the press release:

"Dean will also carry a selection of LUMIX G Lenses in his kit bag, ranging from 7mm-300mm including the recently launched 12-35mm X lens, suitable for capturing a wide range of scenes thanks to a versatile zoom and F2.8 brightness in the entire zoom range.”

I'm 99% positive he's using only Panasonic lenses since it's part of a Panasonic press release/campaign, and if he's only using G lenses then that'd rule out an adapted 4/3 lens. Since the 35-100 engineering sample has already been handled by a few reviewers, I don't really have any trouble believing they got him a pre-release copy for something like the Olympics where a fast, moderately long telphoto zoom would be a huge help.

18. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I agree with you, but it's only a supposition. Someone said EXIF, and I figured they didn't remove that info from the file. However there is only an implicit mentioning of this lens when the aperture is too fast and eliminates other options.

Basically any photo between 35mm and 100mm you don't know what lens it's taken with if it's with an aperture of f/6.3 for example. There are a few 100mm photos in gymnastics, I presume they're with the 100-300 since the following photos are up to ~250, but that one at f/4.5 could be with 35-100.

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't call it "in the wild". They are photos from a Panasonic sponsored photographer on a Panasonic website. I would call that a beta test.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Sure... it's just conjecture so far as there's no EXIF data. The one photo of a gymnast on a pommel horse was shot at 64mm @ f/3.5 so that'd point to the 35-100 as the only native m4/3 Panasonic lens capable of the shot. Several of the others are clearly with the 7-14 or 100-300, respectively.

Anyway, I agree with lenshoarder this is all Panasonic sponsored so it may not mean anything in terms of availability. But we can hope :smile: