Panasonic Lumix S5

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Personally i think DFD is OK for photo, have not shoot any really fast action with DFD though.
The fastest sport I have shot with Panasonic DFD is soccer but that is actually as difficult as it gets for contrast autofocus. In soccer you want to take photos of where the action (ball) is and this is usually somewhere in the middle of players, some of which are running closer and some further away from you than the actual target.

Real problem is how to configure CDAF settings so that camera focuses on the correct spot between moving players and maintains focus during entire burst when the target is moving as well. I have achieved best overall results by
1) setting a fairly small AF box somewhat above the center of image (around where players heads would be in the final picture)
2) sacrificing burst speed for accuracy by selecting focus priority (there's no point to get more pictures if they are all out of focus)
3) shooting short bursts and making sure that each time I press shutter, target is exactly inside AF box and stays there during entire burst
4) selecting AFF instead of AFC.

Speed of AF per se is not a problem with any high end panny MFT body if you use new-ish panasonic/leica lenses which are optimized for DFD. Achiless heel for DFD has been C-AF which is really annoying especially when shooting video. Even when it doesn't lose focus entirely, you can see clear artifacts on out of focus areas like fences, buildings and other grid like surfaces when DFD checks whether the target is still in focus by quickly "blinking" slightly out of focus and back again. Based on reviews those new DFD algorithms on S5 are providing hughely improved C-AF performance and can be re-used on any sensor size and type as long as camera has enough processing power.

This problem is not present in stills if focus priority is selected because camera only takes pictures when they are in focus whether it takes few milliseconds more or not.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why buy this when you could buy a used Nikon body? or even a Canon?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Why buy this when you could buy a used Nikon body? or even a Canon?
I know. And some people even like Sony or Pentax. Go figure that one out. Sigh
Just a brief attack of GAS - I think I‘m getting over it quite quickly
Don’t think the DFD would be good enough on this one - some testers are saying that the AF would be inferior to the G9 for sports and action which is already inferior to the Olympus EM1X :thumbsup:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Anyone end up buying one? These new small Sigma primes with aperture rings are adding to the temptation.

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone end up buying one? These new small Sigma primes with aperture rings are adding to the temptation.
I have the S5. It's a very good camera, especially if you also shoot with the G9 or other Lumix gear, as it will be familiar in handling and menus. I have the kit 20-60 that came with it and bought the 24-105 f/4, still a fairly small and versatile combo. I'm pleased with the clean and detailed images. What more could I want? Probably not the Sigma primes, but looking forward to the 70-300 that's on the Panasonic L-mount roadmap.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
@DickB Have you had a chance to compare the hi-res mode of the G9 vs that of the S5? Sulantoblog YouTuber has a video on it:
But I'm wondering if you have tried it. DPReview has highly praised the S5 hi-res mode recently, especially the mode where there might be subject movement:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pa...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source
"We think that of all the high-res modes on the market today, Panasonic's is the one to beat," so that is interesting, I think.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the S5. It's a very good camera, especially if you also shoot with the G9 or other Lumix gear, as it will be familiar in handling and menus. I have the kit 20-60 that came with it and bought the 24-105 f/4, still a fairly small and versatile combo. I'm pleased with the clean and detailed images.
Have you tried shooting video with your S5 and 24-105 f/4 Macro OIS?
How does the Dual-IS work? Is it good enough for macro shots as well?

The biggest improvement in this body was the totally new DFD system which is said to work pretty well even when shooting video which is the key selling point of pretty much every panny body and this is the main reason why S5 is on top of my short list at the moment..

This very kit: S5 + 24-105 f/4 is exactly the one I'm planning to buy before summer if GH6 is not launched soon. Even if GH6 finally arrives, it might be something utterly stupid like $2500€ 8k body with 41MP sensor and therefore provides no substantial improment in low light performance while also ending up in higher price category.

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
@DickB Have you had a chance to compare the hi-res mode of the G9 vs that of the S5? Sulantoblog YouTuber has a video on it:
But I'm wondering if you have tried it. DPReview has highly praised the S5 hi-res mode recently, especially the mode where there might be subject movement:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pa...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source
"We think that of all the high-res modes on the market today, Panasonic's is the one to beat," so that is interesting, I think.
I haven't tried the hi-res mode on either camera. It's just not something I normally need or think about. I do some printing, but only up to 13x19, so 20/24 Mp is plenty. I'm normally a run and gun type of photographer so don't like hauling a tripod around. I briefly had an Oly E-M1 Mark 3 and tried the HHHR, but even that wasn't worth the effort. I'm now Panasonic-only (S5, G9, GX85, ZS50). The ZS50 is always in the car and gives surprising good results when called upon.

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
Have you tried shooting video with your S5 and 24-105 f/4 Macro OIS?
How does the Dual-IS work? Is it good enough for macro shots as well?

The biggest improvement in this body was the totally new DFD system which is said to work pretty well even when shooting video which is the key selling point of pretty much every panny body and this is the main reason why S5 is on top of my short list at the moment..

This very kit: S5 + 24-105 f/4 is exactly the one I'm planning to buy before summer if GH6 is not launched soon. Even if GH6 finally arrives, it might be something utterly stupid like $2500€ 8k body with 41MP sensor and therefore provides no substantial improment in low light performance while also ending up in higher price category.
Sorry, I don't do video, strictly stills. For them, including close-ups, the S5/24-105 dual-IS is very good. Of course I'm used to having it on the G9, which I use with the PL 50-200 and 100-400.
I doubt very much that Panasonic would try to put 41Mp in a m43 body. Possibly 24? Now a 41Mp S5R would be perfect!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom