Panasonic Lumix L1

Real Name
Andrew
hi mu-43! im just wondering if this camera is still good up until this time? (12-3-10)

im opting for it cause it doesnt look obtrusive as my 1d and its boxy. people wouldnt mind as much as 1d sized camera...

i like its magnesium body and as far as noise, to my eyes it is noisy, but it looks more like a film grain than digital noise so im fine with it (since i mostly shoot black and white)

planning to get one plus an oly 25mm prime to be compact enough to go street shooting with my ep-1

or should i get a gf1 body ? thanks alot!:biggrin:

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
A couple quick points. You know the 25mm will require an adapter to use on your e-p1 right? The L1 is regular 4/3 mount, not micro 4/3 as well. Finally, the L1 is definitely NOT a compact camera! It isn't the biggest either, but it is by no means small. Looks can be decieving in that respect. It does have an unmistakable, great classic look though. You probably would be better served pairing another micro 4/3 camera though, such as the GF1 you suggested. Any particular reason you want to have 2 cameras with you, rather than just the e-p1?

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The L1 is pretty dated technology in the digital world.... Most compact cameras now will have the same or better IQ.

IMHO, if you're looking for another body to go with an EP1, why not get another EP1 or an EPL1? That way, all your RAW conversion will be (approx) the same, etc. If you want something other than Oly, the GF1 would be a GREAT choice - I far prefer it's speed of operation and control setup. Plus, if you don't have it already, you can get it with the excellent 20/1.7 lens for not much more than the lens would cost separately.

iliakoltsov

Mu-43 Regular
Yup i totally agree 4/3 technology seems a bit outdated , depends on your usage GF1 or Pen EP1 could do if you need fast AF only the GH2 will provide it.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have an L1 and its build is great with magnesium body and great controls
The sensor is only 7.5Mp and ISO 800 is not great.

The OVF is Ok but a little small, Overall a great handling camera:smile:

It has no IBIS so I thing an Oly E-620 is a good alternative

If yer not into pixel peeping and high ISO its a great CAM superb build

EXIF in the gallery

Some L1 here Kit lens
Lumix L1 - boyzo's Photos

OR
L1 PL 14-150
Birds - boyzo's Photos

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The L1 is pretty dated technology in the digital world.... Most compact cameras now will have the same or better IQ.

IMHO, if you're looking for another body to go with an EP1, why not get another EP1 or an EPL1? That way, all your RAW conversion will be (approx) the same, etc. If you want something other than Oly, the GF1 would be a GREAT choice - I far prefer it's speed of operation and control setup. Plus, if you don't have it already, you can get it with the excellent 20/1.7 lens for not much more than the lens would cost separately.

For sure IQ is not up to the latest G1 or the Pens but unless into Pixel peeping and ignoring Marketing Hype of new cameras more than decent.

Real Name
Nic
For sure IQ is not up to the latest G1 or the Pens but unless into Pixel peeping and ignoring Marketing Hype of new cameras more than decent.

I think this is a good point. I could be shooting with a five-and-a-half year old 8MP Canon 350D and still take images at a resolution that far exceeds the requirements of any medium I would ever view or print them on. Nowadays I can pixel-peep to my hearts content on a 15MP image from a 50D but would I ever need that minute detail? Probably not, but I do know that 25Mb RAW+JPEG files sure do take up a lot of space on my hard drive. In m4/3 I was tempted by the better image quality of the E-PL1, but for me the E-P1 (which I have) and the GF1 (which I probably will have eventually :smile:) are the two design classics of the m4/3 format which just look and feel right.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think this is a good point. I could be shooting with a five-and-a-half year old 8MP Canon 350D and still take images at a resolution that far exceeds the requirements of any medium I would ever view or print them on. Nowadays I can pixel-peep to my hearts content on a 15MP image from a 50D but would I ever need that minute detail? Probably not, but I do know that 25Mb RAW+JPEG files sure do take up a lot of space on my hard drive. In m4/3 I was tempted by the better image quality of the E-PL1, but for me the E-P1 (which I have) and the GF1 (which I probably will have eventually :smile:) are the two design classics of the m4/3 format which just look and feel right.

Yep the E-P1 and GF1 are classics :2thumbs:

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're not into pixel peeping, you will never notice the difference with the current compacts, and they are a helluva lot cheaper than the $1200 the L1 appears to be going for, considering the OP appears to be looking for a "backup" camera.

Real Name
Nic
In m4/3 I was tempted by the better image quality of the E-PL1, but for me the E-P1 (which I have) and the GF1 (which I probably will have eventually :smile:) are the two design classics of the m4/3 format which just look and feel right.

And of course by that I mean there are cameras, including the L1 IMO, which have an appeal and value that exceeds that of cameras with arguably better image quality, purely because of undefineable quantities such as design, style, feel, etc, etc.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That is NOT what he said.

Correct. It has nothing to do with 4/3 vs m43, purely the age of the sensor.

(however, I DO agree that using mirrors in digital cameras is ridiculous and people grasping at straws to hold on to their film-based glory days)

crashwins

Mu-43 Regular
I have an L1 and love it...It has full manual controls, will accept a great line of legacy lenses, and produces fabulous images. I just disagree with the "dated technology" argument. Sure, if you want the camera to take the photos for you with full IS, etc, it's not so great. But if you want to learn to shoot, it's perfect. I got an L1 body for $100 -- much better deal than a EP1 for $4-500. You also just can't beat that sound of the shutter..Size-wize, it's not big, but pretty deep where the VF is. I suggest a pancake lens like a Konica 40 or Olympus 25mm. Have fun

crashwins

Mu-43 Regular
Yikes, just re-read the post. $1200 for the L1?! Where are you looking? You should be able to buy an L1 body with Leica Vario lens for $500 used -- what I paid.

TomMac

New to Mu-43
Similar arguments were made when the L1 first appeared. I spent a lot of time comparing, the Nikon D200 and Canon 30D were the closest in price. Since I was coming back, no legacy lens etc.. I bought the one I felt was best for me, handled my large hands and allowed my poor eyesight some slack. Walking into camera stores, getting that smirk at Sammy’s... well all that has died off as Lumix is now a recognized mfg. of quality cameras. What I love is the lens, the 25mm especially. As for comments from friends and the general public, they love the look of the camera and the pictures. 7.5 MP is more than enough for my needs and 800.. yeah I can wish the ISO was higher. Yet, how can I justify selling it? I have P&S Lumix that fills in nicely.. Maybe the LX5 next.
But what I want to convey is this, if you want to have a great camera and have lots of fun standing out from the crowd... get one.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
And of course by that I mean there are cameras, including the L1 IMO, which have an appeal and value that exceeds that of cameras with arguably better image quality, purely because of undefineable quantities such as design, style, feel, etc, etc.

Yes indeed the L1 is great to handle and is unique and beautifully built

It does not look those low end entry level bloby DSLR's plastic horror's from the canikon brigade.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Correct. It has nothing to do with 4/3 vs m43, purely the age of the sensor.

(however, I DO agree that using mirrors in digital cameras is ridiculous and people grasping at straws to hold on to their film-based glory days)

Mirrors wont go away because a DSLR with OVF has unique VF quality demanded by some users.

The G1 Oly VF2 however are outstanding.

But an OVF has outstanding grain free resolution and no lag.

As for mirrors the are quite reliable and up to shutter life

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Mirrors wont go away because a DSLR with OVF has unique VF quality demanded by some users.

The G1 Oly VF2 however are outstanding.

But an OVF has outstanding grain free resolution and no lag.

As for mirrors the are quite reliable and up to shutter life

You yourself in this one post seem to make my point - that the technology has caught up, and there are no technical reasons why the mirror needs to be there.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You yourself in this one post seem to make my point - that the technology has caught up, and there are no technical reasons why the mirror needs to be there.

No what I meant was the OVF still has a clarity above the now best EVF's
And I have both, also the OVF has NO lag.

I enjoy both but certainly the G1 / E-P2 EVF's are amazing

What I also said is mirrors will not go away too much legacy in Canikon gear that Pros use.

Latest threads

Top Bottom