Panasonic Lumix GX7 - Camera Settings Discussion

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Faceinthecrowd, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011

So new to m43rds. Got my GX7. Playing around with settings, function button choices etc.

I was wondering if people had found settings that delivered "better" images, for me more natural out of the camera.

I see there is a "natural" setting in the instructions. I will give that a shot. But I also see that contrast and sharpness can be tweaked. I saw the CameraLabs comparison and feel that a bit of extra contrast and sharpness might make for better out-of-the-camera jpegs and then I can mess with RAW later.

And then theres curves. Guess thats a case by case tweak.

And then all those function buttons.
    So far I want silent mode handy. Other standard settings look pretty good.

Would have liked panoramic mode easily accessible - looks like that will be a menu digger or perhaps custom mode on the dial when I get my head around those.
    Same with HDR.
    And manual mode for adapted lenses.

So does anyone have preferences for settings and/or function numbers?
  2. tomge

tomge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    My actual settings are, contrast +1, sharpness +1, NR -1.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    Turned off the "autofocusing when putting the eye on the EVF" setting. That setting is not good on default. I use Fn1 to Fn3 for image ratio, picture style (BW, natural etc..,) and for focus peaking.
    The handling is a gem but I would love more customisability in future firmware.

Lots of setting in the gx7, need some time to get the feel of all of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Any other ideas on Fn settings? The only change I've made so far is to set Fn3 to allow me to move the focus point.
  5. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Here are my function button settings (trying not to duplicate controls already on other buttons or those on the Q.Menu, which I've also customized):

Fn1- Q.Menu (default)
    Fn2- DOF Preview
    Fn3- Silent Mode
    Fn4- LVF/MON (default)
    Fn5- Highlight Shadow
    Fn6- Level
    Fn7- i.Resolution
    Fn8- i.Dynamic
    Fn9- Wi-Fi
    • Like Like x 4
  6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    I moved WiFi from Fn3 to Fn9, as I found myself hitting that button by mistake too often. In its place I put Histogram On/Off.

I'm finding that Panasonic did an excellent job off putting everything I want a button or two away by default. I was going to put Auto-Bracket on a button, but it's an option on Drive Mode (Down).

I've got Fn5-9 set as Silent Mode, HDR, Histo, Peaking and WiFi. But Peaking is also available in the "<" Touch Tab.

Still haven't given C1-C3.3 much thought, or used Q.Menu.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    I just got my GX7 and did a search for settings threads and this one came up.

Here's how I have mine setup so far:

Fn1 - Q.Menu (default)
    Fn2 - Silent Mode
    Fn3 - Preview
    Fn4 - LVF/MON (default)
    Fn5 - Stabilizer
    Fn6 - Level
    Fn7 - Histogram
    Fn8 - Metering Mode
    Fn9 - Wi-Fi

C1 - My default settings: A Mode / RAW only etc.
    C2 - (for testing) AE/AF Lock to AF ON, Half Press AF OFF, Half-Press shutter ON. This seems kinda cool but the jury is still out...
    C3-1 - Panorama
    C3-2 - HDR

The last two are particularly cool because I am primarily a RAW shooter and these 2 modes require JPEG only. No digging into menus required!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DaveA

DaveA New to Mu-43

This has been a helpful thread.

My settings, after a number of different settings are:

Fn1 Q. Menu
    Fn2 Silent Mode
    Fn3 Photo Style
    Fn4 HDR
    Fn5 Guide Line
    Fn6 Stabilizer
    Fn7 Flash mode
    Fn8 Quality
    Fn 9 Aspect Ratio

Thanks to others for sharing theirs.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Does anyone know about telling the camera the focal length of a manual lens?
    I've turned "shoot w/o lens" on. And when I turn the camera on it asks me if the lens is 35mm and gives me the option to change it. So I change it to 15mm (I've been playing with the body cap lens). It seems that when I switch the camera on it sometimes remembers that I set it to 15mm the last time, but sometimes asks if it's 35mm. And even if it does remember, I'd prefer that it didn't ask me because then I have to press "yes" on the touch screen. I'd like to just switch the camera on and immediately be able to take photos.
  10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I had a GX7 for a few days, but couldn't stand that you couldn't turn off the eye-sensor. Has anyone figured out a way yet for the EVF to stay on whenever the camera is on? I typically don't bring the camera to my eye until I see the shot I want (an advantage of shooting all primes), and it's super, super annoying to have to wait a second for the EVF to fire up when I bring the camera to my eye.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    No, and I have reported this to Panasonic as a bug as well as the slow start up time whenever the video mode is set to .mp4 even if the camera is not set to video mode at start up.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mw1

mw1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2012
    Yikes. That's a pretty serious bug. Where did you report to Panasonic? Maybe some strength in numbers...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    From the Support page on the Panasonic website.
    It certainly couldn't hurt to give them multiple reports. Maybe it would move it higher on the priority list.
    Another small but annoying thing I have found is that the screen captions in Preview mode make no sense. The first press of Preview shows the DOF preview (stops down the lens aperture) but the screen says "Shutter effect on". The second press is actually the shutter speed effect but the screen says "Shutter effect off"! Looks like something probably went awry in the translation from Japanese there.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
  15. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I just downloaded the new firmware, and I do not see any new menu item that allows the EVF to remain on all the time. Sorry.
  16. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    The only changes with v1.2 allows assignment of the flash adjustment to a Fn button and adds manual focus capability with lenses that do not have a focus ring - the new 12-32 zoom is one example. There is no change to the EVF function.

17. joesanphoto

joesanphoto New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am on the fence about this camera, but this may have made decision not to go with it.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Only been using mine for a few hours, but holding the camera with a hand near the viewfinder turns it on, could be a workaround until if/when firmware makes what you want possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  19. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    I have received a reply from Panasonic Support:

"Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here at Panasonic. We will send your recommendations to our research and development division. It is very important to our company that we listen to our customers . Thank you for your input and your time in letting us aware of this issue."

It is encouraging that they are sending the report to R&D. We'll see what happens if/when we get a version 1.3.
  20. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    I find it odd most online camera stores sell it (out of stock) if panasonic is saying it's never coming...