Panasonic Lumix GH3 or G6?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, May 2, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello again!

I am pretty satisfied with my Fujifilm X cameras for my photography needs but videography has become more and more important for me.

I recently started a YouTube channel where I upload videos and have got a little following already. I would like a videographic camera for my video needs.

I read that the Lumix G6 has recently come around the corner. With the addition of external mic port this seems like a good option.

My situation is this; I use exclusively Mac computers. And I read that the G6 only supports MPEG-4 and AVCHD codecs. Mac likes H.264 more than mpg4.
    I could of course use AVCHD in iMovie. But the H.264 seems more native for the Mac.

The good point of getting the G6 is the prize. I don´t need all those features of the GH3 as it can be to confusing with too many options too.

In the same time I feel that videography is getting more and more focus (over photography almost).

Could I as a growing enthusiast videographer going in the direction of "semipro" someday, be satisfied with the G6 or should I go all the way to GH3 to future proof my growing videography "business"?

Of course Final Cut is an investment I'm going towards as well.

Is the AVCHD a good format that will give me the quality that an enthusiast (aiming for semipro) will need?

Or do I need the added features of the GH3 with many more options?

The things that are good on both that I am going to need is of course the full manual control during video recording.

I am glad that I waited some as this gave the G6 option too before I take the plunge to the m43 world again... This time my m43 world will be mostly videographic.

Please help me here :)

2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well I use clipwrap to convert mts to mov without the need of transcording (just rewrap container to mov format), then import into final cut,

So for now G6 is mighty enough for you, and use that extra money to buy lens, though when working with client the look of your machine would make an impression, at least with the GH3 I got people commenting on "how good" (aka pro looking) it is. Before when I had the GH2 people were more skeptical since it is such a small camera compare to DSLR

Currently here are some features that GH3 doesn't have but G6 has.

* Focus Peaking that shows the peak of focus in MF and AF+MF mode
    * EV -3 - 18 (ISO100 equivalent) AF Detective Range,
    * 1080p@60fps video in Extra Tele Conversion (ETC) mode (the GH3 tops out at 1080@30P in ETC),
    * 7 fps @16Mpix&AFSingle, 5 fps @16Mpix&AFTracking and 40fps burst mode (versus 6fps@AFS and 20fps in GH3),
    * 1,728-zone multi-pattern light metering system (versus 144-zone in GH3),
    * Stop Motion Video, Sweep Panorama
    * 1,036K dots TFT LCD screen (versus 614K dots OLED LCD in GH3)
    * Adjustable HDR mode. While the Panasonic G5/GH3 have an in-camera HDR mode, there is only an On or Off setting with no scope to tone down the effect.
    * NFC +better Wi-Fi: The G6 have wireless recording function with start/stop recording and 30fps video stream feed to tablet/smartphone. GH3 can only start recording/no video stream feed.

AVCHD is pretty good quality, even expensive cameras like Sony FS-700 (cost $7500 body only, shoot 4K) record in AVCHD

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you! I´ll put in a preorder for the G6 then :)

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    If you already have a camera that suits you for photography, I'd implore you to have a look at what Blackmagic are putting out. AVCHD is an efficient codec for sure, but ProRes can give much more latitude for grading in post, and would be less of a pain to edit.

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I second this. The new BM pocket cinema camera is amazing if you want video. It'll mount your m43 and 4/3 lenses and costs less than the GH3.
    Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    NAB 2013: News Shooter looks at Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera: Digital Photography Review

6. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Blackmagic is certainly another option, but it is quite limited in application as it need very large and fastest SD cards as 64GB hold about 40 minute ProRes footage and 20 minutes in compressed CinemaRAW footage, and you need SanDisk Extreme Pro with 95Mb write speed to record RAW as it record 63MB per seconds to card, so it is mostly useful in planned shots, while G6/GH3 can be used in a lot of situation and can use much cheaper cards.

Being said I do plan to get it too when it is released to accompany my GH3s

7. albert_ang

albert_ang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    One thing to note, G6 doesn't have a headphone monitoring. It may sound like a small issue, but for videographer, it's very important because you need to know when the clipping happens or how bad the wind noise is etc. But, if you use an external recorder like Zoom H1 or Tascam DR05, it shouldn't be an issue.

It's still too early to comment on G6 video quality. My guess, because it uses older sensor than GH3, the quality like ISO performance shoud be lower.

BM pocket will require more expensive investment to use it to its max potential. As ntblowz said, you'll need large card or if it allows (I'm still not sure), an external storage through hdmi out. Someone in dvxuser forum calculated, roughly 1TB is required to store 4 hour RAW footage.

8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, the Black Magic seems to be a little on the expensive side. When calculating storage, cards, harddrives etc.

I've also seen a lot of "cheap" OMD EM5 offerings lately.

How is the OMD on the video side? I know that it doesn't have manual controls while recording but the 5 axis stabilization seems great. Some wrote that it is stable like a Steady Cam.

If the OMD would be an option for me, I'll of course add the SEMA for external mic.

Can the OMD deliver on the video side?

9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    OMD is not a real video camera.

Black magic will cost you more for accessories, if you want to get some serious video.

10. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Perhaps worthy of consideration: A G3, have a look why here: [ame=http://vimeo.com/54907031]Panasonic G3 Hack on Vimeo[/ame]

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  12. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I decided to go with the Lumix G6 and the standard (non powered) 14-42 lens. I don't zoom when I record video as I always set up the scene beforehand on a tripod. Many times I just record myself for example during my concerts (I'm a singer/songwriter, playing guitar & harmonica and singing). No need for power zoom.

It's good that it has external mic port as the sound is important regarding music etc.

The cost for this seems quite reasonable considering what I get. Please confirm if I did the right choice or should I still change the order to the GH3...

13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Final update (I hope)

I changed my order. Even though the G6 has some goodies (like focus peaking, NFC etc)... Some of the things with the GH3 I couldn't resist.. (Headphone jack, more codecs, formats etc.)...

As I indeed want to have as much control of the video recording process as possible.. And also the great GH3 sensor etc... I had no other alternative. The GH3 route it is...

Hope I'll be satisfied with the GH3.

14. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I'm going to point out that AVCHD is H.264 so your Mac will be fine. iMovie should have no troubles importing whatever format you record in.

15. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Agreed. I wish more people around here would realize that the two cameras are in no way equivalent to each other.

16. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    There came other consideration that pointed towards the GH3.

From what I've read the low light capability of GH3 should be better than the G6 (if the G6 is based on the older sensor on GH2) - that is one.

Another point was that I got hold of an Oly m.zuiko 12-50 for 140€. That connected to the GH3 would give me a weather sealed combination. It's got motor zoom which could be good for video recording. I don't need IS as I mainly use tripod when shooting so lack of IS isn't a concern.

A quite of low price for a weather sealed combo :) When it's raining this combo could serve also for photography outside as the Fuji cameras aren't weather sealed.

These are some points that lead me to the GH3 instead of the G6.

17. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    fcpx will import avchd and there is no need for clipwrap...it just need the whole private folder to start...

18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My camera dilemma is finally solved...

I recorded a concert in a church yesterday with my Fujifilm X-E1 and the XF18-55 OIS lens f2.8-4.

I used manual focus, external mic. Adjusted the aperture and ev comp and selected "film simulation" to Astia (for good skin tones) beforehand. Monitored the sound beforehand (during the choir practice).

The video and the sound turned out really good.

I mostly record videos in setting like these, never action.

This showed me that I'm ok at these events (that I mostly do) with my Fujifilm cameras. They are great at high ISO (in dark lit churches) and they have great lenses too.

But I am going to do some handheld videos too in the near future... In situations like light rain outside, and I need a stable IS.
    I have seen great result from the OM-D in these circumstances.

I don't need to change settings during video recording as I often have the time to set the setting beforehand.

I believe that the OM-D actually is my best complementary camera to my Fuji cams.

The Fuji cameras for the inside dark lit sceneries on tripods... The OM-D for the bad weather hand held situations outside.

I have made my final decision.

I bought an m.Zuiko 12-50 lens for about 140€ and ordered an OM-D camera (body only) and the SEMA.

Now I will have my 5-axis IS. Looking forward to "cheap" telephoto lenses with IS too as the only telephoto lens for the Fuji cameras is so expensive... The cheap 40-150 m.Zuiko lenses are everywhere it seems. You can get them second hand too.

Actually for me; the OM-D is a much better choice than the Pannys.

So case closed - OM-D for handheld videos outside in the rain... And for telephoto work :)

Fuji for the inside work :)

19. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Another observation... It's pouring outside, raining and raining. It rains a lot here during summer. My need for a camera that works outside in this climate is important. It rules out Lumix G6 and the coming Olympus E-P5. The deal I got on the E-M5 is a good deal. It saves me some money compared to the GH3.
    And like I said... I think my video needs are covered, at least for my way of recording video. The 5-axis IS is going to work wonders.
    Even if the E-M6 should come it would take some time to get it, I would lose this rainy summer that's coming in photos and videos. And the price for the E-M6 would probably be high (if we're looking at the price for the E-P5).

I think my desiscion for the OM-D EM-5 is a wise one... At least for me.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hey Ramirez, I'll bump this thread and see how you got on with the e-M5's video over the past month.
    Any interesting comments on the advantages of weathersealing and stabilisation compared to the probable higher quality video codecs from the Panasonics?