1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Lumix GF3 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dede, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
  2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    You can get the GF3 Kit from Panasonic themselves for $380. "Like" their page facebook then click "Fan Only Deals" (possibly US only).

As for the lens, based on reviews the 14-42mm is very close if not identical to the 14-45mm in terms of image quality but of course shorter on the long end. The 14-42 also has a plastic mount vs the metal mount of the original kit lens.

3. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    I am more then happy with the kit 14-42, image quality is pretty good I just wish it was like a bit faster.

F3.5 is still very usable with the GF3 behind it, I have got some great "low light" shots hand held, but that said, I wanted a bit more so I have bought a 20/1.7 - I will let you know how it compares.

For majority of my shooting I will still be happy with the kit lens though.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The 'common consensus' seems to be that the 14-45 is the better lens, though I don't believe it's a dramatic difference. The 14-42 is like any kit zoom, though. Adequate, competent, unremarkable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    It is hard to make a zoom work well at every focal length and still maintain very light weight construction.

I wouldn't call it unremarkable given the alternatives that you could be slugged with.

G3 is a really light weight package that takes good enough photos for the average amateur.

If you don't like it, then you probably should be buying a much bulkier camera to begin with.

Can't have everything and still keep it to $600 for body and lens - that is so cheap when you consider what it does and how much you would pay for the alternative.

6. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
  7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Good decent quality lens. Needs stopping down a bit to get the best out of it. If you don't like it you can sell it. You'll probably get more than it actually cost you as part of a kit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Those deals are US only, you need a US billing and shipping address. I'm in Canada and they wouldn't ship here or to a US shipping address since my credit card billing address is Canadian.

9. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Uh I'm actually german, but I'm doing an exchange year in the US right now, so I guess that deal would work for me. I mean I have a german VISA card but I've paid on amazon.com and stuff with it, so guess it would work, right?

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  12. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    If your Visa's billing address isn't a US address they won't accept it, at least that's what they told me when I tried to order from them. They are either being extra careful about fraud or have some sort of agreement not to take sales away from other countries' Panasonic distributors.

13. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Yeah I guess I'll just try to order it now, the worst thing that could happen would be that they say I can't order it. :)

Edit: Did the GF3 nor seriously rise up to 410 $ in like 10 minutes?! -.-

14. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yup, that's what I did and there's nothing to lose by trying. My order when through online because I put my US shipping address as the billing address. Later I got a phone call and they told me I had to have a US credit card to order from them so they cancelled my order.

15. bacid

bacid New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2011
    i can confirm panny website won't let you order.

i tried ordering as well with a usa address but cdn card and they refused to process even after arguing with them.

i complained on their facebook page and hope they will do something to appease me but it's unlikely.

i've also asked amazon to see if they would price match.. apparently amazon does allow price matches on a case-by-case basis.

i figure if i can get the gf3kk for $380 then buy the x lens at a reasonable price later on i'd still be ahead vs. buying the gf3x for $750

16. jedperkins

jedperkins New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2011
    That is exactly what I am doing. Have the gf3kk kit on order from Panasonic direct for $380 delivered. I will sell the kit lens on eBay to bring the price down to around $300 and then buy the new 14-42 pancake zoom when available in the US for $400. Total cost will be $700. $50 less than the new GF3X kit. It also gets me the new GF3 body to use now with my Panny 14mm and 20mm lenses, and my Oly 14-42mm kit zoom.

Can't wait to get my new GF3!

- jed -