Panasonic Lumix G70 versus G7 4K Video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lumix G70 Owner, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Lumix G70 Owner

Lumix G70 Owner New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2015
    I just purchased what I thought was a new Panasonic G7 camera from a website called 6ave electronics. I bought it because it was the best reviewed/quality 4K video camera for the best price I could find to record my first baby's first Christmas. 6AVE sold what they called the DMC-G70/DMC-G7 camera for $400 (body only) on Rakuten.com (Panasonic Lumix DMC-G70/DMC-G7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Black Body Only) - DMC G70 Black Body). The price is higher now. I saw 6AVE also selling the camera between $375 and $596 on ebay.com. (Panasonic DMC-GF7 Mirrorless Micro 4/3 Digital Camera - Silver and Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera - Black). I bought what I thought was the DMC-G7 camera (NTSC), but when it arrived here in Florida, on the bottom it said DMC-G70 (PAL). The language was already setup for English when I received it. I attached my 14-140mm lens, battery (it came with a battery and charger), and UHS 3 memory card and tried to select to record 4K video at 30P. Well... that's when I realized it would only record 4K video at 25P.

At this website, Panasonic says that there is a difference between PAL and NTSC area models:

Specs - DMC-G7 Lumix G Compact System Cameras - Panasonic UK & Ireland

They did not tell you what models are for PAL area and what models are for NTSC area, but the manual (https://www.panasonicstore.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/DMCG7.pdf) that says the camera records 4K video at 25P contains these models:

DMC-G7K/DMC-G7H
    DMC-G7W/DMC-G7
    DMC-G70K/DMC-G70H
    DMC-G70W/DMC-G70

Note to keep things confusing, they have a DMC-G7 in the model list for 4K at 25P!

The manual (http://panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/DMC-G7PP/OI/sqw0392/sqw0392.pdf) that says 4K video at 30P contains only this one model:

DMC-G7

I thought there was some setting in the camera that will select between NTSC and PAL, but it was only for video output and had no effect on 4K video recording. I soon realized that my camera will ONLY do 4K at 25P because the firmware in the G70 must be hard-coded to that setting with some internal board ID that is hard-coded to a G70. This means I just paid close to $700 (including the lens and memory) for a camera that is not doing the 4K at 30P like I thought it would. So on my first update of the latest firmware, I didn't even bother to load the G70 firmware, but I renamed the "G7__V20.bin" firmware to "G70__V20.bin" and loaded that instead (thanks to the guy on this forum who said that seemed to work). The G70 camera took the G7 firmware without issue. I checked the version in the camera an it was showing 2.0, so I think the G70 took the G7 update. However, I was still stuck with 4K at 25P instead of what I wanted (and thought I bought) of 4K at 30P. Is there any hack or other firmware that somebody can provide for the G70 that will allow me to make it think it is the G7 so I can get my 4K at 30P like I thought I bought (since I live in NTSC area)? Maybe there is a board ID resistor that I can change (if I open the camera) that will switch the model to NTSC version? Both cameras have exactly the same HW, so it's a small firmware difference or resistor change if anybody can figure it out. Anybody..??

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Almost all the Panasonic cameras sell other than authorized dealers are PAL version, you might use some software PAL to NTSC, but I don't know how's the quality of the video.

3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Unfortunately, you are pretty much stuck with PAL and should try to return the camera if that's a problem.

The PAL/NTSC is not switchable. Some older Panasonics could be software-hacked to enable this and other changes, but we are talking GH2/G3 era, there's been no success hacking later models.

4. Lumix G70 Owner

Lumix G70 Owner New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2015
    I first called Panasonic and asked the tech support guy if Panasonic would ever make a new firmware that allows you to switch 4K record modes between 25P and 30P on my camera. He said Panasonic has no interest in doing such firmware (after he put me on hold and asked his boss). He also said because the model is a PAL G70 (unlike the only USA model "DMC-G7"), there is no official Panasonic tech support (I guess he meant from his USA office that I called, but I would think there is some international tech support available with some international phone number in English and a time zone difference - wouldn't want to pay international shipping costs for overseas repair if ever needed). So knowing there is no official support in USA for the DMC-G70, I feel safer getting the DMC-G7 instead.

The guy I spoke with "Angel" at 6AVE did not hassle me at all and emailed me an RMA number. I asked if I could exchange the G70 for a G7 and he said no, they don't do exchanges - just returns. So hopefully, the return will go smoothly. I only paid $400 for the new camera, so finding an 'official' USA NTSC DMC-G7 (body only) for $400 will be my next challenge. I think I saw it for $500 somewhere.

Thanks for reading.

5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I grabbed a G7 deal from Samys in California, it was their demo camera. It came with 14-42.II kit lens for comfortably under $500. If you watch closely for a bit you can catch a deal somewhere too! Adorama had the kit at $595 plus $100 gift-card for a while, not sure if that's still going. Buying body-only has been more of a challenge.

6. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Be careful, as this is not just due to the camera being a G70. The G70 is just the G7 for the German (and Austrian?) market, and you could get the same issue with a European model G7.

7. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuttgart
    G70 is to my knowledge the Swiss/Austria/Germany model.
    Next to being PAL it should also have a 30 minute limit on Video length.

Exceptionally crazy is the fact it's a deal for you in the US since clearly G70 is only available on high-priced european markets.
    People in CH/AT/DE sometimes order G7 from US since even after shipment, taxes and currency conversion its still cheaper than G70 locally :D.