1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic LUMIX G7 with 16mm / S16mm cine lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NIckDee1982, Jun 23, 2016.

1. NIckDee1982

NIckDee1982 New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2016
    Nick
    Hello All and thanks for reading,

Am hoping somebody can shed some light and give me advice...
    Ive purchased a Panasonic Lumix G7, primarily for shooting video...
    Im about to take the plunge and buy some decent lenses that will take me away from the cheap kit lens... however, being a film maker (ive used alot of 16mm cams in the past) id love to be able to merge thepast with present and use some older 16mm / super 16mm lenses... In particular Angineux lenses look amazing, and these days can be relatively cheap if you look hard enough.... My confusion lies in 'sensor sizes' its tying my head in knots...
    Ive read on a number of forums that refer to BMPCC cameras and their functionality with old lenses such as Angenieux 9.5-57mm T1.9 zoom lens in Arri B mount. (example)

WOuld such lens work suitably with my G7? from what i can surmise the sensor is slightly larger than the BMPCC sensor?

Id love to use older lenses, but I dont wanna pull my hair out with trying to purchase one that will work properly on Lumix G7... sorry if im not explaining myself very well!!!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

PS - Ive been looking at this list of cine lenses for sale as a guide

CinemaGear.com | Lenses

2. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The easiest way to find out would be to check if you can find adapter. What mount are the lenses you want to use (I don't know anything about video lenses)?

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Super 16mm is 12.5x7.4mm
    Regular 16mm is 10.2x7.5mm
    m4/3 sensor is 17.3x13mm
    m4/3 sensor in 16:9 is 17.3x9.7mm

M4/3 is quite a bit larger than 16mm formats. Now some lenses are oversized, and some cameras have a fairly large crop factor when shooting video. So short version is that SOME 16mm lens work on SOME m4/3 cameras, but you have to find specific user reviews/samples or be willing to gamble a bit. I would generally take the assumption that you'll get huge vignetting unless proven otherwise.

The Black Magic Pocket Cinema has a micro 4/3 mount, but it has a Super 16 sensor (12.5x7.4mm - same as listed above). So that's why most Super 16 lenses work great on that camera. It's got a 3x crop factor, though, as opposed to the regular m4/3 2x crop factor.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you are shooting 4K with the G7 there is some additional crop (to approximately 2.2x) so that would help a little bit with coverage as well. But not enough, probably!

I've seen lists of C-mount lenses in the past of which ones work well to cover M4/3, but can't seem to find them.

I think a pretty common rule of thumb seems to be that there are very few S16 lenses that are wider than 25mm that are able to cover M4/3. Many of the longer ones are okay.

Don't know anything about B-mount at all, though. I thought most Arri lenses were designed for Super 35, not Super 16?

5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Don't sell that "cheap" kit lens short. It's more than a bit better than those used to be. This version gives you a range from "workhorse" wide angle to short telephoto in a very compact lightweight design. I have it with the G7 and a silver version of the same version II for my GX7. I've got a decent assortment of Panasonic and Olympus "native" lenses most of which seem as sharp performers as some of the Canon "L" glass I used to use.

My suggestion: Use the "kit" lens to help you determine what other focal lengths you might need. For instance if the wide end is not wide enough you will need something wider. For me 2 lenses fit that bill in my work, the Olympus m.Zuiko 12mm f2.0 (for when I need both wide and "fast") and the Olympus m.Zuiko 9-18mm f4 - f5.6 (even wider).

But that little "kit" lens is a decent performer.

If the telephoto end does not have enough "reach", explore telephoto or telephoto zoom options.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I have to agree, as I have a G7 as well, that I use to shoot video in my workshop. The 14-42 V2 is a great little lens considering the price. I just purchased the 35-100 f4/5.6 on sale to give me a little more reach in the shop.

Both lenses get good reviews.
    Panasonic Lumix G VARIO 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens Review
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm f/4.0-5.6 Asph Mega O.I.S. Review

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  8. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have only limited experience with Kodak Cine lenses and so far I found:
    1) anything less than 25mm (designed for 16mm film) doesn't cover the M43 sensor.
    2) the image circle gets better with longer lenses. The 25mm only has the centre sharp while the edges are heavily distorted and not sharp to the point of utter blur ( I like that :coco:)
    3) the 63mm Anastigmat fairs better on the edges but still vignettes a bit
    4) the 102mm Ektanon is pretty good but edges are soft
    5) I am waiting on the 38mm: I assume it will be in between 25mm and 63 (edit: the 38mm is designed for 8mm film despite looking rather big; coverage is not sufficient :-()

I hear Pentax Cosmicar cover the M43 sensor nicely and sample images I have seen look gorgeous. The 50mm f1.4 is particularly interesting. (edit: the Cosmicar 50mm f1.4 is gorgeous and work very well on M43)
    But ultimately all those lenses are garbage compared to any native kit lens I have, if IQ (misnomer in my book) would be my main concern. But that's not why I want to use vintage 16mm cine lenses;)

About Angenieux: let me know when you find some reasonably priced ones; my findings so far have been on the $500+. A bit steep for a lens that I can't find much info about and wonder if worth the price.
    And also have a look at this amazing collection: C-mount Lens Gallery
    There are a ton of old cine lenses with sample pix of coverage on M43 sensor

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    • Like Like x 1