Panasonic Lumix G7 Print Size

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by neek247, Dec 14, 2015.

1. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    What would be the biggest print size the Panasonic Lumix G7 can print, I want great to excellent photo quality.
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Depends on subject matter, proper exposure, viewing distance and your standards. For close viewing, 300-360 PPI is usually the gold standard, but I have seen prints at 200 PPI look acceptable. I have printed 20x30 with good results, but the subjects lent themselves to large printing. Take a test shot nd print it large at Costco. Their prints are quite affordable, and it will give you an idea before you spend money at a more expensive lab.

Good luck,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

You should get excellent A4's and very acceptable A3's uncropped and at your highest resolution setting. But I'm guessing you didn't need to be told that last bit. Go for it. It's an ace camera!
  4. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    +1. I recently got a handheld shot that I took in the Grand Canyon printed from a mail order lab just to answer the question you're asking. It was taken with my GM1 and the 12-32 kit lens, so your G7 should have equal or better quality. I don't recall the exact size but I believe it was 24 x 32 inches. I was surprised and very pleased with the quality, even looking at it closely. For me, it took away the "I want to be able to make large prints" reason for wanting a FF.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    When viewed at any normal distance (i.e. if you can see the entire image when you're looking at it), M4/3 is capable of very good 16x20" prints in my experience. I haven't tried printing larger than that yet. I did print a 24x36" print from a 20MP Samsung NX that also looks good by the same criteria, so my guess is that 20x30" is eminently doable with M4/3.

Panasonic GX7 Review - GX7 Overview

Imaging Resource says you can do 24x36", or even 30x40" for wall display at base ISO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I wouldn't hesitate to go up to 20x30" for a second. Maybe even bigger depending on the type of print/medium. M43 does outstanding 16x20's even if you crop.
  7. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    There really isn't a definite answer in the way you expect. People have blown phone shots up to billboard size without problems - because the bigger the print, the longer the intended viewing distance usually is. See eg

The Great Resolution Hoax - Alien Skin Software
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    My usual prints are 8x12, but the largest as of now is exactly 16x20 (i found a cheap IKEA 40x50cm frame and decided to try it).

The photo was taken with the E-PL5 and Oly 25mm. I cropped slightly (to get that 4x5 aspect) and exported in LR for 300DPI, and the lady in the lab said the image wasn't sized properly (i don't know how, i specifically exported in 4x5 ratio, could be that there was not enough pixels for 300DPI, didn't bother to do the math). She did some hocus-pocus on her settings, and printed. The print looks great IMO (not saying anything about image per se), even at close viewing distance. As it is a sort of a headshot, i judge by eyes/eyelashes and they look really sharp. I wouldn't be afraid to go beyond 16x20, if the viewing distance was beyond 1 meter.

As other said, at large print sizes, 300DPI is not a prerequisite, if not for anything else, for the viewing distance. People that are not pros or pixel peepers don't see noise or lack of DPI. If it shall be viewed by pros or pixel peepers (guilty), you can always try Perfect resize/Genuine Fractals.
  9. I agree with the others - no problems at all printing to 16x20 with M4/3 cameras. If you want to go really big, with extraordinary detail, you can always use panorama techniques to increase the pixel size of the image. Don't use the G7 panorama feature, though. It limits you to JPG only and uses 8MP 4K technology to generate the image. You would be better off doing manual shots and stitching in post.
  10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I print mostly to canvas and have printed 50" wide images from m4/3 (GX7) on canvas that look spectacular!

If you do your part very well, m4/3 can give you wonderful wall prints.
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    With proper up-resing, you can print big from virtually any camera. You'll lose fine detail as the original Mp size decreases, but for many images no-one will notice, esp if viewed at a sensible distance.