panasonic lumix g10-your thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Adubo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    what are your thoughts about this camera?

all the reviews ive read barraged this camera with one main flaw, which is its EVF. but the AF JPEG quality and ergonomics is pretty nice and may i add, that this camera is the cheapest m4/3 camera there is...

thats why im looking at this camera.

based on my research, the EVF isnt that bad, it has the same pixel count as the LVF1 that the famous gf1 uses.

im thinking if i should get this camera bnew kit(much lesser pirce than a gf1 kit) and get a built in EVF with it:smile: (still not able to buy a VF-2 for my e-pl2).

what are your thoughts guys?

gf1 kit bnew (here in the PI) - 550USD
    g10 kit bnew - 450USD

2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I am a huge fan of the GF1, having purchased mine in January of 2010. I also have the G2 which has an EVF and the touchscreen.

Despite being a great camera, there are only a couple of instances where I reach for the G2 instead of the GF1.

The main flaw of the GF1 is that in some bright sunlight situations, the LCD is difficult to read. I shoot with a lot of legacy glass in aperture priority mode. The ability to magnify a scence with the thumb wheel, and change exposure with the wheel is intuitive.

The G2, while a great camera, just doesn't have the same feel in my hands as the metal clad GF1. Since the G10 is the G2's "little brother", I don't think you can go wrong with it. Just comes down to more of personal preference and budget.

Best of luck with your decision!

3. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Take the GF1 out of it for a sec...

If you look you can find the G2 kit for $449, and the G10 for $400.

B&H has a used G10 kit right now for $369 and a used G2 Kit for 429

With the price of the G2 so close, I would try to get to it instead , new or used.

The GF1 is also a fine choice, but if price is your main concern..... G2 in my opinion, course I am biased as I have one.

BK

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hi BK,

buying from B&H isnt an option since it takes forever to ship it here and im no good with touch screens (except for the iPhone/touch)

5. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    The G10 does not have such a good EVF as my G1 and I think the rear screen is fixed. Any, and I mean any, EVF has got to be better that using a rear screen in daylight and you will be holding the camera steady against your face. This will reduce camera shake and it will be far better for composition. Holding a camera in zombie mode with arms out in front is not good. Look at the price of the G10, you will be hard pressed to get a decent compact for that money. Photo quality, ease of use etc etc equals the G1 / G2, buy it !!

6. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    P.S Going on UK prices the cost of the LVF1 for the GF1 is over 50% of the cost of a G10 !!!!!! Any contest ?

7. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    After I wrote that I noticed where you would be ordering from, sorry.

FYI I rarely if ever use the touch screen on my G2, no real need.

But I do LOVE the articulated screen, I would still probably buy a used G1/G2 or GH1/GF1 before I bought a G10, unless it was real, real inexpensive, simply due to the fixed screen.

BK

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Thanks BK.

I think i should just wait for a used but perfectly fine g1/2. Micro fourthirds here in the Philippines isnt that big yet. People still are into te dslr scene. Heck, even for their quick family and vanity pictures some would buy a d700/5d.

Thanks for the help!

P.S wont be needing the swivel lcd, but its a good to have. I dont want to spoil myself with it or i might leave the epl2 hanging out inside the drybox. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just got the G2 and I agree that using the touch screen is not mandatory. FWIW, it's a pretty decent touch screen but I find that I don't use it that much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I owned the G10 and it did everything I asked of it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I echo this sentiment. The authorized dealers of Panasonic and Olympus here don't really bring in their Micro43 line-up (save for a few models, and even then, they don't have the various lenses readily available). The people here rely more on enterprising individuals and local online sellers to bring in the various M43 cameras and lenses.

I had to source my GH2 from an online shop in the U.S. But no regrets. I love my GH2. :)

12. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Hi mqavila,

I got my oly gear from Philip Ng. An oly dealer he sells 10% cheaper than the oly phils. Guys. If ever you want to get that 9-18mm. Been searching for some pana dealers here to get better rates for the 7-14 and 8 fisheye lens. No luck yet. And adapters are hard to find. Even those cctv lenses and FD lenses are hard to find and if i do find one, its just waaay over priced. Have to source out a little bit more.

Andrew

13. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Time to start leveraging any friends and family you might have in the US/Canada! We send stuff back to the Philippines all the time for cousins, but I only ever send bigger ticket items back if someone is actually flying there. I would never trust something like a camera lens just in a balikbayan box amongst all the other stuff being sent home. Never tried shipping something small/expensive on its own though.

I was supposed to fly to Manila for a wedding next month, but airfare is too rich for my blood right now. Sending some stuff with my Tita/Tito who are still going, but otherwise I wouldn't have minded toting a lens or two back. Maybe next time!

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I have a couple of old timers in chicago but theyre not into the photo scene so money might be wasted into buying the wrong item or buying at the wrong place. My parents are in Australia so i'm able to gothere every 6months. Gadgets aren't priced as cheap as i see them in ebay tho. Its either im really unlucky to live in a place that doesn't have much used/2nd hand camera market or im not looking hard enough.

I tried sending a busted lens in a balikbayan box once. Tried it to see if the glass gets broken along side a 15" lcd. The lcd got smashed (wrapped in bubble wrap + thick layer of bath towels). And the lens well... It never reached manila. Went out missing. Lol

Never send it through a balikbayan box. (i used lbc. Since it was the only one near our place in AU)

15. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Was lucky enough to have a cousin coming home right at the time that I was scouting around for a camera. She brought it home slung around her neck as if it was her personal camera. :)

16. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I go to HK with my mom for her work. Normally we go there january and well, tom ill be in HK till saturday evening so ill be spending and looking for supplies and quench my GAS(gear aquisition sydrome) for the whole year until i save up some more for the extra bodies lenses etc (if ill need it. Im a happy e-p1 e-pl2 plus some others user)

Thats why on the other thread i was asking if the think tank speeddemon is overkill for a m4/3 gear. It looks so nice and with the reviews its really really comfortable for the photowalks i do almost daily.

What do you think?

Thanks!
    Andrew

17. AverageCanadian

AverageCanadian Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2010
    Before I bought my G2 I was going to the store to get the G10. What sold me on the G2 was the evf and articulating screen. I found the evf to be that much better and I use the articulating screen far more than I thoughtbi would. Mostly when it is on the tripod and the tripod is set very low. Being able to rotate the screen out is a life saver.