Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm for $210 from Amazon.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I just received a text message saying my 45-175 has been shipped and to expect it Thursday. Has two months passed already?

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just received a text message saying my 45-175 has been shipped and to expect it Thursday. Has two months passed already?
WOW! I've not received any shipping information, so for now it appears I'll have to wait.

I would be elated if my lens arrived so soon, I have an out-of-town project next week where the 45-175 could be useful.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
One nice feature is that it is internal zoom and focus. The latter part is not unusual, but the former is ... and very nice. Off the top of my head, I believe that it is the only zoom in the system, other than the 35-100mm and 7-14mm (I think), to have this feature.
Luckily I decided to buy now based primarily on price and confirm the details later. I'd studied the longer Lumix lenses some months ago, but had mostly decided the 100-300 was the next lens I would purchase to compliment my kit. Yet the lower than used price of $210 made it easy to buy and try this glass.

I remember reading about and liking the internal focus and zoom. The compact overall dimensions for the focal length is another plus. Though slower, the 45-175 is slightly smaller and lighter than my 35-100, which is not awkward on my GX1.

What I didn't know until this morning was that the 45-175 PZ has a manual zoom ring on the lens; I love this! Because the 45-175 is a "PZ" I was assuming that it only had the little zoom lever on the side like the little 14-42 PZ. After realizing the 45-175 also has a manual zoom ring on the barrel I'm even happier with this purchase.

One review I read said the 45-175 zoom ring is "by wire", so I'm assuming the zoom ring is not actually manual/mechanical, and might not have the same zoom feel as the 12-35 or 35-100? Does anyone know? Hopefully the function and feel is good, I'm actually impressed by the feel of "by wire" manual focusing on the 12-35 f/2.8 lens.

Edit: I read more reviews and apparently the zoom ring lacks 'feel' or a tactile confirmation at the ends of the zoom range. Oh well, still looking forward to testing and using this $200 lens!

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
Did you choose one-day shipping? I'm wondering if that's why your order is shipping so early, or if it's just a fluke?

I've got Amazon Prime, so when it ships it will be two-day, but I'd happily upgrade for a few dollars if it was going to ship so soon.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
No, I ordered it Monday, June 16 and get "free" 2 day shipping as a Prime member. I was more than a little surprised I received a text message last night that it was on its way. Maybe I was just lucky and a few showed up. Keep your fingers crossed.

Anybody looking for a used 45-200? ;)

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No, I ordered it Monday, June 16 and get "free" 2 day shipping as a Prime member. I was more than a little surprised I received a text message last night that it was on its way. Maybe I was just lucky and a few showed up. Keep your fingers crossed.

Anybody looking for a used 45-200? ;)

Amazon is notorious for being overly pessimistic on shipping times. I guess they realized it is better to have customers happy it shipped early than potentially having people mad something was backordered...

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
Amazon is notorious for being overly pessimistic on shipping times. I guess they realized it is better to have customers happy it shipped early than potentially having people mad something was backordered...
I can see that. I’d love to be surprised with a fast delivery of my lens. In general, I'm very happy with Amazon's delivery and service, seems like everything sold by Amazon arrives quickly.

This is the first time I’ve ordered anything from Amazon that was not available and had an extended delivery time. I’m assuming that the lack of immediate availability is possibly why they were offering the extremely low price? Maybe combined with a new, big shipment of discounted lenses from Panasonic?

I’m not sure what these 45-175 lenses cost when first introduced, maybe $500? But, the current B&H price is $363 (dropped a few dollars today) and ordering one for $150 less is simply exceptional. $200 for a decent lens, possibly even a “good” or “great” lens is almost too good to be true!

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
No, I ordered it Monday, June 16 and get "free" 2 day shipping as a Prime member. snip...
That's the same method I chose, but I changed it to 1 day for $4 to see if that possibly gets it here faster. If it doesn't arrive before I leave town I may lower back to the free 2 day shipping.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
By the way, if anyone has a P14-42 or P14-45, the hood (petal style) from it will actually work on the 45-175mm. I'll try to post a pic with one on it tomorrow, but it takes off a little of the "awe" factor.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
It arrived today and is so cute. Even my wife said "awwww". :D
Congratulations!

I'm still waiting for just a ship date...maybe my copy will take two months. Anything that prompts a "so cute" comment with the reach of a 175 (350)mm is my kind of tool. What sleeper lens.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Some quick and dirty shots of my fuzz butts with the lens - which I think is a steal at $209:

Patches, the Nova Scotia Duck Toller Retriever/Corgi night of passion result:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And Kara (Husky/Corgi oops) and Apollo (normal GSD). Like Apollo in this one because I caught him in a yawn and he looks vicious - which he is anything but.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My only concern is there is no on/off switch for OIS and I do use a tripod on occasion.

leungw

Deal Hunter
Real Name
Willy
From the manual:

[O.I.S.] Switch: None (Setting of the [STABILIZER] is done in [REC] mode menu by LUMIX digital cameras.)

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Yep, looks like there is a menu item for it. The only time I turn it off is when I am using a tripod so I will have to remember that. So the switch is not critical.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yep, looks like there is a menu item for it. The only time I turn it off is when I am using a tripod so I will have to remember that. So the switch is not critical.
How is the zooming action on the lens using the 'by wire' zoom ring?

What aperture was used for the pics above? They appear to have plenty of DOF.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
My copy arrived Thursday.
Not an Amazon $210 but a minty used for a little less.

First thoughts..

Internal zoom. :2thumbs:
Trigger zoom switch on my G5. :thumbup:
Contrastynessness. :thumbup::thumbup:

The zooming action is different. The zoom ring is actually like a switch that triggers the internal zoom. Not sure how else to explain it.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
snip...
The zooming action is different. The zoom ring is actually like a switch that triggers the internal zoom. Not sure how else to explain it.
Congratulations on the lens.

Do you mean the zoom ring just rotates a very small amount, a short throw like a lever, and doesn't rotate nearly as much as a regular lens ring?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom